70404 - King's Castle

Ematics

It hasn't even been released; there's no way to know how successful it will be. The speculation I see on the forums is entirely useless most of the time. I suggest you focus on dying sets/current sets that you can actually find numbers to support investments. I don't even see the purpose of discussing a future set that wouldn't even die until 2014-2016(?). If anyone gets excited over this type of activity, you should reevaluate what the hell you are doing with your money.

They are all opinions, you dont need to listen to them or even read them, and you certainly don't have to refer to these opinions as useless. My suggestion is that you keep your criticism to yourself unless you can do it in a constructive and tactful manner. Thank you

Yeah!! Stick it to him rockefeller!! You're like the voice of the people man!! :)

They are all opinions, you dont need to listen to them or even read them, and you certainly don't have to refer to these opinions as useless. My suggestion is that you keep your criticism to yourself unless you can do it in a constructive and tactful manner. Thank you

From my reference frame, my criticism is constructive and tactful.

The forum is useful for two things:

1. Sharing facts (supported by numbers)

2. Sharing numbers

The rest is useless for anyone who wants to keep their head straight. People can talk about how they think a set will be a great performer, great gains, and spin things to look positive. It's rare to see people support their findings with solid numbers.

I don't read anything involving Lego unless I see a bunch of numbers mixed together. No numbers = no read. Bottom line for me. Now, I collect my numbers and keep my thoughts to myself because the airheads have taken over the majority.

Can't you let a man dream, dream of stylish Lego Castles and future profits? I think that this board is a nice mix of investor-centered users as well as Lego lovers that invest to fund their habit/for fun. For the people in the latter group, talking a little about future sets is fun and doesn't hurt anyone.

From my reference frame, my criticism is constructive and tactful.

The forum is useful for two things:

1. Sharing facts (supported by numbers)

2. Sharing numbers

The rest is useless for anyone who wants to keep their head straight. People can talk about how they think a set will be a great performer, great gains, and spin things to look positive. It's rare to see people support their findings with solid numbers.

I don't read anything involving Lego unless I see a bunch of numbers mixed together. No numbers = no read. Bottom line for me. Now, I collect my numbers and keep my thoughts to myself because the airheads have taken over the majority.

I agree - this forum has degraded into airhead central. It's like watching a train wreck.

Seems to me the op was talking more about displaying than storing it misb. So to your original question about whether this looks too kiddy for display as an AFOL, I would say my first impression is that Vampyre Castle would look better on display if you are wanting a castle. This one does look a little kiddy but I think that is mainly due to the blue bricks. Replace those with blacks and I think it would look better.

When did I mention anything about caring for the potential investment of the set? I was asking for people opinions on the set from a collecting point of view, remember this a return to an existing theme, so people will already have the older sets, I was interested if anybody has these? Do they display them? Do they plan on buying the new wave? Hence the forum theme Investing & COLLECTING But I don't think it is all about numbers when it comes to investing, you can to some extent predict a sets future based previous set sales and popularity.

Seems to me the op was talking more about displaying than storing it misb.

So to your original question about whether this looks too kiddy for display as an AFOL, I would say my first impression is that Vampyre Castle would look better on display if you are wanting a castle. This one does look a little kiddy but I think that is mainly due to the blue bricks. Replace those with blacks and I think it would look better.

Glad someone understood, and your right, the vampire castle is awesome, but is most likely twice the price, I do plan on getting it at some point.

I like the look of older castle sets, specially the black ones (not sure of the set no) but if they do another black castle I may wait for that due to the higher price of the older EOL set

Glad someone understood, and your right, the vampire castle is awesome, but is most likely twice the price, I do plan on getting it at some point.

I like the look of older castle sets, specially the black ones (not sure of the set no) but if they do another black castle I may wait for that due to the higher price of the older EOL set

Twice the price of what? The new castle is the same price.

I found the pics, the set looks very promising, I like it more than the castles I have seen in the past several years, it looks like there is no big ugly base plate, aside from the use of wall pieces, it seems to keep in line with the recent trend of building things out of bricks as much as possible instead of new pieces. What I'd really like is for TLG to go back to more spring loaded weapons instead of the stupid flick ones we have had for the past 10-15 years. They started using them on canons, I'd like to see a spring loaded catapult and siege machine.

Can't you let a man dream, dream of stylish Lego Castles and future profits?

I think that this board is a nice mix of investor-centered users as well as Lego lovers that invest to fund their habit/for fun. For the people in the latter group, talking a little about future sets is fun and doesn't hurt anyone.

This. Everyone needs to ratchet it down a bit. There is plenty of room for serious investment discussion and speculative investment discussion.

Finally saw a good picture of the set, will definitely get one to build. As for speculating on how it will do in EOL, just look at other castles and how they have done in the past:

6091 ('00) +40%

8781 ('04) +21%

8877 ('05) +55%

10176 ('06) +67%

7094 ('07) +161%

7946 ('10) +86%

You can see that not all castles are winners, with the original "Castle" theme castle doing the best and the most recent "Kingdoms" castle quickly catching up to it being 3 years newer.

There's some numbers for you.

It hasn't even been released; there's no way to know how successful it will be. The speculation I see on the forums is entirely useless most of the time. I suggest you focus on dying sets/current sets that you can actually find numbers to support investments.

I don't even see the purpose of discussing a future set that wouldn't even die until 2014-2016(?). If anyone gets excited over this type of activity, you should reevaluate what the hell you are doing with your money.

Like others have said, the OP really wasn't talking much about the value of the set. To me they were talking about the castle sets as a display and wondering if it was geared more towards kids instead of the adult crowd.

The set looks ok, I think it will be a popular set to build.

This. Everyone needs to ratchet it down a bit. There is plenty of room for serious investment discussion and speculative investment discussion.

This lego stuff is serious business! What do you think this is, a kids' game?!? :-)

Yes, it can be serious business and there is a time and place in these forums for those discussions. There is also a time and place for speculation, fraternization and just general LEGO talk. I like to have a little fun when I participate in forums, but that's just me...even if it's off topic. I'm going to leave you with Ed Mack's number one rule of forum behavior...

BE NICE!!!

As they say, everything old is new again. Looks like a winner to me. The Dragon is awesome. Thanks for the photos.

Finally saw a good picture of the set, will definitely get one to build. As for speculating on how it will do in EOL, just look at other castles and how they have done in the past:

6091 ('00) +40%

8781 ('04) +21%

8877 ('05) +55%

10176 ('06) +67%

7094 ('07) +161%

7946 ('10) +86%

You can see that not all castles are winners, with the original "Castle" theme castle doing the best and the most recent "Kingdoms" castle quickly catching up to it being 3 years newer.

There's some numbers for you.

"Not all castles are winners", which one though? Seems ALL that you listed were winners in my book! I wish I own a number of those!