Episodes I, II and III

giannini78

I was wondering whether as the first three episodes (well maybe not episode III but definitely the first two), are often regarded as not particularly great films in the series, whether there is much value down the line in buying kits from these films?

I don't recall there being many iconic characters-mini figs from these movies for example.

The reason for my post, I saw the Bounty Ship 7930 and like the look of it (it's £65.00 on Amazon), but with fairly unremarkable mini figs would this be a kit to buy on the basis that it's already at its highest second hand resale value?

Edited by giannini78
Errors in original post

There's an argument to be made that sets based on these films may be the big winners in the future as the movies and Lego shift their attention to the new trilogy and movies set around the original trilogy (like Rogue One, the Han Solo movie, etc.) and so there are few reissues to bring down the value of these sets. For kids who grew up with these movies, this is their Star Wars and much like the older crowd who grew up with the OT, they will eventually come into disposable income and want to buy their childhoods. 

In my opinion there already is a lot of gold in these films as it is. I have never had a problem selling the Corporate Tank Droid with the Jango Fett figure. There have only been 2 versions of him, spaced about 10 years apart. Darth Maul will always be popular. They are on the 4th version of his ship now and probably the last for a while. Clones proved to be very popular with the kids (I have a 10 year old son whose favourite activity for a year was watching the clone battle from Episode II every weekend). Anything with the 501st squadron (the blue stripes down the helmet) should do well. Popular Jedi as well, especially Qui-Gon, Yoda, Obi-wan. General Grievous only appears in a few sets and they only ever made his bodyguard droids once. More value can be found in the unique vehicles, like Jedi starfighters, certain droid vehicles. I'd skip the Bounty for investment as the set and minifigs are all based on one episode of the Clone Wars cartoon which is out of mind for even the fans. I own it, it's cool, but I'd only buy it at a good discount.

• Like 1

Your winner vs turkey ratio is probably similar to Chima with the added caevat that at least Chima is now dead and less likely to be remade.

The best non OT sets are doing better than the worst OT ones but it seems hard  to state a good case for them as Lego knows this too and will probably remake the winners at some point down the line.

As i said in another thread at the moment Lego had so much new star wars IP to play with (TFA, Rebels, Clone Wars, Freemaker Adventures, Rogue One and other upcoming films) they don't need to revisit sets from older episodes for a while. The real danger being if an old vehicle appears in a new film.

I think the OT fans of my generation (born in 74) are the ones that are most vocal about their hate for Episodes 1-3.  The kids (well anyone born after say 1995) like the prequels just fine.  Right now they aren't the ones with a ton of extra money to spend on Lego...but that time is coming soon.   Let them run their course, right now 20 year olds often aren't thinking about grabbing that Lego set they never had as a kid, but at 27 that might be a different story.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

The kids (well anyone born after say 1995) like the prequels just fine.  Right now they aren't the ones with a ton of extra money to spend on Lego...but that time is coming soon.   Let them run their course, right now 20 year olds often aren't thinking about grabbing that Lego set they never had as a kid, but at 27 that might be a different story.

Padme in midriff FTW!!!! :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I wrote a blog article about this recently, not so much to change minds as to open them.

Believe me, I am very much OT generation, but I can see a future where the PT becomes sought after.

I completely agree. OT defined my childhood, but I didn't dislike the PT. There are things I would have done differently sure but I enjoyed them and have seen with my son's eyes how much his generation loves them. They are actually the lucky ones as they will never have a "dark time" as we did between 1983 and 1999 when there are no Star Wars. They have a movie pretty much every year to look forward to, plus they had the Clone Wars cartoon every year and now Rebels and soon the Star Wars lego cartoon, plus all the video games. There is no escape from it. These kids may well prove to be more Star Wars intensive than my generation that was there from the start.