eBay Selling Advice

Legodog

So I listed my first LEGO sets on eBay and they ended tonight. I specified in the auction to contact me before bidding if you have less than 10 feedback. Well no one contacted me and 2 of the auctions ended with the winning bidder having 0 feedback. One is a new member as of 2013. What do I do? Do I ship the items? Do I trust these buyers?

If they pay you through Paypal, I wouldn't think you should have anything to worry about. I know new buyers can be scary, but I get them all the time and hardly ever have problems. (Cheesy cliche alert!) At one point, we were all new buyers and someone had to take a chance on us. If you hear the words "Western Union" at any point, stay far away and report it immediately!

If they pay you through Paypal, I wouldn't think you should have anything to worry about. I know new buyers can be scary, but I get them all the time and hardly ever have problems. (Cheesy cliche alert!) At one point, we were all new buyers and someone had to take a chance on us.

If you hear the words "Western Union" at any point, stay far away and report it immediately!

I guess I'm just worried because I know the buyer can easily get their money back from PayPal by saying the item is not as described. What stops the buyer from getting the item, opening it and replacing the contents with mega blocks and returning it? Maybe I am just paranoid because these are the first sets I have sold.

Get an iphone or a cheap video camera. I videotape every single box I pack. About 2-3 years ago, a guy I shipped a $15,000 baseball card to (Eddie Mathews 1952 Topps, PSA 7) said I sent him a $5 card. I met with the police and provided the postmaster general with a copy of the video. Guess who is in jail or heavily fined for trying to commit mail fraud? That guy. Guess who saved $15,000 by taking a 2 minute video with his Canon Pure Shot camera? This guy.

• Like 5

Get an iphone or a cheap video camera. I videotape every single box I pack. About 2-3 years ago, a guy I shipped a $15,000 baseball card to (Eddie Mathews 1952 Topps, PSA 7) said I sent him a $5 card. I met with the police and provided the postmaster general with a copy of the video. Guess who is in jail or heavily fined for trying to commit mail fraud? That guy. Guess who saved $15,000 by taking a 2 minute video with his Canon Pure Shot camera? This guy.

Just playing devils advocate for one second, because I have heard this argument before. Unless you take the video, at UPS or the post office, seal it up and hand it over to the postal worker, that would be the maximum proof because you can't take the package back. If this is what you did, then bonus for you and I can see how this can be a good thing to do, especially with very valuable items.

But if you take a video at your home, that doesn't mean its the actual package that gets shipped, so I am not sure if the video will help in all cases.

• Like 1

I had the same fear when I started. I have not had a problem as of yet.

I assume your feedback is zero feedback as well? Or have you sold other stuff...

I would send. It's been really hard for me to get my initial sales / feedback..trying to build up a new account...

My feedback is 323 @ 100%. I've sold many things over the years but it was all mainly stuff from around the house that I just didn't use anymore. These are the first LEGO sets I have sold. I will just take a bunch of photos and videos and ship it out.

Just playing devils advocate for one second, because I have heard this argument before. Unless you take the video, at UPS or the post office, seal it up and hand it over to the postal worker, that would be the maximum proof because you can't take the package back. If this is what you did, then bonus for you and I can see how this can be a good thing to do, especially with very valuable items.

But if you take a video at your home, that doesn't mean its the actual package that gets shipped, so I am not sure if the video will help in all cases.

So now we might need a full time cameraman to follow us around - I definitely didn't work that expense into my calculations :)

In my business I have received many many chargebacks and disputes over the last 10 years and PayPal has always sided with the buyer. In 100% of the disputes the buyer has gotten their money back. Some of the reasons for the disputes from the buyers were outright lies. Such as I never received the item but yet I have proof that it was downloaded and that they still had the product installed on their website. I sell digital software so it is a completely different thing and much harder to protect than selling actual goods. But PayPal's advice to me was ship it on CD/DVD. I did that for a while and it was of no help. All the buyer had to do is put in a dispute with PayPal that the item was not as described and they would get their money back. So if I seem overly paranoid about selling to someone who signed up on eBay within the last month and has 0 feedback it is only because I know how easy it is to get your money back from PayPal. I'm not completely confident that photos and videos will help at all but I will do it anyway because it is all I've got.

I should note that on the bright side my auctions finished at 420% more than I paid for the items originally so after fees and shipping I should still make a decent profit. I should also note that out of the 4 auctions the only person who has paid so far is the buyer in question. LOL.

I just realized something else I wanted to post. Maybe it is nothing but both auctions that were won by members with 0 feedback were the 2 items where the boxes were heavily damaged. Maybe it is just a coincidence. The one member signed up on Jan 30, 2013. So he signed up and the first thing he bought was LEGO Harry Potter Hogwart's Express (4841) in a damaged box. I just have a very strong feeling I am going to get burned on this.

I just realized something else I wanted to post. Maybe it is nothing but both auctions that were won by members with 0 feedback were the 2 items where the boxes were heavily damaged. Maybe it is just a coincidence.

The one member signed up on Jan 30, 2013. So he signed up and the first thing he bought was LEGO Harry Potter Hogwart's Express (4841) in a damaged box. I just have a very strong feeling I am going to get burned on this.

If you get burned just let me buy it, I want one. :-)

I have this problem with all kinds of ebayers. 100 cases closed with no payment in the last year.

The last one I had was someone with almost 1500 feedback and a 100%!

This is why Sellers should be given the opportunity to leave negative Feedback again.

I have this problem with all kinds of ebayers. 100 cases closed with no payment in the last year.

The last one I had was someone with almost 1500 feedback and a 100%!

This is why Sellers should be given the opportunity to leave negative Feedback again.

And they left negative feedback for me, which has yet to be removed even though I've emailed about it twice.

It would be nice if ebay at least pretended someone at their end was listening.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really beginning to hate "O"/zero feedback EBay buyers/bidders. I also hate that they can tie up your listings for a week or more at a time while you are waiting for payment and then you have to file a claim to get your sale fees returned. You can only block bidders with -1 or -2 feedback, but there really isn't an option to block 0-5 feedback bidders. Just venting here... It's one of the downfalls of EBay. I've only been selling Lego for a few months. Is this more common in the Lego community? Do other sellers create accounts to remove your listings before high volume days, like Sunday?

• 1 year later...

Buyer from Brazil is staying in Orlando and wants the item shipped to hotel in Orlando. Seems legit I just want to make sure I do this properly. I told him to add the hotel address to his Paypal account and make it the primary address. He asked if he would be required to pay any import charges since his residence is in Brazil. I don't think so. Anyone can confirm? Am I missing anything? Thanks. 

Buyer from Brazil is staying in Orlando and wants the item shipped to hotel in Orlando. Seems legit I just want to make sure I do this properly. I told him to add the hotel address to his Paypal account and make it the primary address. He asked if he would be required to pay any import charges since his residence is in Brazil. I don't think so. Anyone can confirm? Am I missing anything? Thanks. 

Only when they import it on the plane or whatever back to Brazil.  It shouldn't be your worry.

• Like 1

weird situation.

sold The Mine Minecraft set right before xmas for 180.

4 days ago, item is returned to me unopened - "no such address found".

i attempted to contact the buyer 3 times via email in the last week inquiring if they wanted a refund or did they want to confirm the paypal address to me and try a resend with Fed Ex.

no response.  no complaints to ebay.

thought about whether i should just refund the money to avoid issues but then that would be me cancelling the transaction which could come back to bite me?

so for now i'm just sending emails and waiting.

i'm leaning towards just refunding it, but worried that no good deed goes unpunished will bmita.....

odd thing is - this is the SECOND TIME i've had this issue.  

one of the $100 RI's i sold on amazon during NYT weekend was returned to me after 6 weeks -

person never went to the postoffice to get it or never signed for it.

no response to emails.

never got a complaint to amazon.

wasn't sure how to go about a return so i just left it in the box ready to go if called upon but 4 months later - nothing.

i googled the person's name - she is a fairly high profile attorney in a major city so its weird that she didn't come after me... yet.

i have her RI waiting (along with 58 brethren).

no good deed goes unpunished.