10252 - Volkswagen Beetle

JeffProbst

I missed out on the original Beetle and also believe this will be a significant improvement. We can hate it, but the actual outcome could be a pleasant surprise since the original model has a quite dated look, LEGO would never release this as an exact copy (like the VW Toy Shop).

Although I would welcome an original Mustang over this any time.

Edited by inversion

A joke like the collectible Disney minifigure series? That turned out to be true after all.

Other than the date they announced Disney minifigures, that wouldn't make for a joke. No one's punked in that statement. Beetle has been made already, that makes a joke. Just like the modulars from last year or the year before that were to be rereleased...

I hope it's a bad joke. I LOVE my 10187! I know it's a slightly antiquated set, but that is a lot of the appeal to me. I know the scale is off also...but still.

The problem is....Just2Good is amazingly accurate....so it is likely.

Yes but Just2Good is not the one making the claim. J2G made the Disney claim and they're piggy backing this new claim on his April 1st post from last year in an effort to give it credibility...

• Like 3

I suppose it could be a joke, however....that it's pulling up in Brickset's database lends some credibility to the claim.  Brickset get's it's data straight from Lego.  Even if they were in on the joke, taking it past April 1, and hiding it in the database would really mess with Brickset's credibility.  I don't think they'd knowingly do that.

It actually makes a lot of sense.

• There are two iconic vehicles for Volkswagen - the Bus and the Beetle
  • It's been 8 years since 10187 came out
  • 10220 has been out for 5 years now.
  • Build techniques have gotten better
  • 10187 was an Classic Old Beetle

I'm a Volkswagen enthusiast.  At one point, my wife and I both owned VWs.  VW enthusiasts are nuts.  I'd be willing to bet that VW has enjoyed the success of 10220.  And I bet the reason we've seen it's life extended is that they would like to see a new design.

The question I have is - will this be a Classic Beetle or a New Beetle.  And if it's a New Beetle, will it be the first design or the second design.

If it's a redesign of the Old Beetle (10187), it's still going to be awesome.  10187 has studs on the whole body.  If you look at 10220, 10242 Mini Cooper and 10248 Ferrari F40, the design is completely different.  They are so much smoother, and look so much nicer than 10187.

Even if it's a remake of the old blue beetle myself and my dad are perfectly fine with that.  sucks for investors I know, but that old model is hideous!! My dad in particular always wanted it but thinks it's pretty ugly so I think a new version with better style and technique like they are able to do these days will be a beaut and a must buy.  

• Like 1

A remake would be fine at this point. The old beetle was retired 7 years ago. No reason to still be hoarding these. The cash in date has long past. 

Will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in 10187 ebay listings. Seems to get around 700-800 nib & 300 used. 

2 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I am one of those VW nuts. I just think there are more vehicles out there. Sure, we're getting the Porsche in August but then we're getting another Beetle? Seems strange to me. Are Lego really that uninspired?

Why assume it's Lego that's uninspired?  It could be VW that wants to do this.

Why assume it's Lego that's uninspired?  It could be VW that wants to do this.

I say uninspired because we keep giving them a pass. "Enough time has gone by on this one" and that one. I see really cool ideas all the time but then we keep getting the same things. Yes, the Ferris wheel is cool. Absolutely! But where is the rest of the carnival? We already had a Ferris wheel. There are others, I'm not gonna list them all but I don't get it. Yes, VW could have requested it or had a backdoor agreement. Absolutely. Maybe the VW royalties are next to nil. We know royalties are a big deal with them...

14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Problems selling real cars? Deflect with Lego. Certainly would be good news for T1 investors if it were true.

Actually, you bring up a good point.  Gotta earn some new good will somewhere.  After their little "incident" last year, nothing like a children's toy to soften how people might feel about you.

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

OK. I'm guessing now this probably is happening. The $100 price kinda sucks though as the old one was $120. $200 would've been better, I think...

What makes you think this is now happening?  And where did you hear the price tag?

/edit to add:  $100 seems about in line with the T1 and Mini