10252 - Volkswagen Beetle

JeffProbst

11 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

It looks a little like a Citroen with that flat windshield even thought the vw had a flat windshield as well.

1967_citroen_2cv-pic-34586-1600x1200.jpe

I'll let my wife judge this new VW bug design since she grew up in a VW family and drove a '68 super beetle as her first car.

Over all a nice design though.

Didn't the Super Beetle debut in '71? I could be wrong though..

Edited by MarleyMoose

As great as this one looks, I hate the fact that we didnt a muscle/sports/supercar this year to pair with the F40. Now the F40 will look like the misfit when paired next to this, the van, and the mini. Hopefully we get a countach or a charger/challenger from the 70's next year to mix it up.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, legone3 said:
Another pic from Eurobricks

Price is either 169.99 or 469.99 (...of some currency units..) (or is it 69.99 pounds?)

469.99 Lei is (I believe) Romanian currency.

This is a great set, but I really would have hoped they tackled the front window better ... As others mentioned, this is a 2CV windscreen, the Beetle's windscreen has a curved top. I know this is tricky to do, but given that they went again with a sticker on the side of the window to represent the upright, they could have added a sticker to round off the top of the window IMHO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vincevaughn said:

If this sells anything like the actual vehicle then this will be around for a looooooooooooong time :P

Isn't T1 out long enough? Is this Lego's theme this year? Cross sell their current products? Beattle with T1... Big Ben with Tower Bridge... 2 less products to retire instead keep selling more =D 

Edited by tacsniper

I quite like this model of the iconic VW Beetle. And if you compare it with a photo of a real Beetle:

vw-beetle-1954-oval-window.jpg

...then LEGO captured it quite well.

Two niggles to mention...

1) the front window is rounded on the real Beetle, and very rectangular on the LEGO model. But it's really difficult (nigh impossible?) to create that shape properly in Lego, especially at this scale. A sticker might be a way to round the edges of the window, but I doubt anyone would like that 'solution'. 

2) The bumper is chrome and not dark grey! I would have liked LEGO to make it chrome in the model as well, even if that would have meant a slightly higher price tag. Missed opportunity, I think. :( 

• Like 2

When I was young my father had several Beetles. He also restored them from the ground up. 

If I remember correctly.... only the type 1303 had the rounded front window. Other types like for example 1302 had the straight or flat front window. The 1303 was the most used and popular model to be converted into a convertible. So most probably the type used here is the 1302.

The rear of the box looks better than the front in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Ciglione said:

When I was young my father had several Beetles. He also restored them from the ground up. 

If I remember correctly.... only the type 1303 had the rounded front window. Other types like for example 1302 had the straight or flat front window. The 1303 was the most used and popular model to be converted into a convertible. So most probably the type used here is the 1302.

The rear of the box looks better than the front in my opinion.  

Here is the 1302 - still a distinctively rounded front window. Also the door windows round and slant towards the front, which is difficult to do in LEGO but could be accomplished by just modifying the (already present) sticker:

beetle_37.jpg