Toys R Us Gift Card Offer (UK) Discussion

So the story so far.

The rules were that if you made a purchase of £40 or more of Lego. You would receive two gift cards. 1 a general TRU £10 Gift card 2 a Lego specific £10 Gift Card. If Items were bought online then gift card codes would be sent out via e-mail at the end of the offer.

It's believed that none of these offers are stackable, but please let people know if you have a contradictory experience.

Over the weekend codes do seem to have been sent out to people for the 2 different offers. However it appears that TRU have sent the same codes out for  both offers. I tried using one of the codes supplied as a generic TRU gift card against a non Lego product and it was rejected, which makes sense given that all the codes sent out started with the first 3 letters LEG, seemingly signifying a Lego code.

I have e-mailed TRU about this but have not yet had a reply.

Please let us know what your experiences are?

I have the same issue also, code delivered in 2 separate emails, one listed as £10 Gift Coupon, other listed as £10 Lego Gift Coupon, but unfortunately both emails share the same code beginning with 'LEG'. Guess ing some kind of FUP at ToysRUs' end.

Anyone been in touch with them to find out whats going on and when they will remedy??

7 minutes ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I bought a £39.99 Wall-E with the code I received. It worked fine to allow me to buy it for £29.99, and free shipping still applied.

Must admit I'd missed the element where we were actually supposed to receive two different codes.

Yeah. There was a general offer for a £10 gift card if you spent £40 on anything at TRU (up until last weekend), then another lego specific £10 gift card offer with a £40 spend on Lego (ended this weekend). Originally everyone thought it was an either or situation but it should actually be both, hence 2 emails. 

The generic TRU gift card should expire on 2 May then Lego gift cards expire on 20th May.

Attached is my little haul from today. Shopped in-store. All done in separate transactions. Enquired in 2 stores as to stacking and they reckon (in one store) that they had an email about this giftcard use this morning explaining that it is strictly one giftcard per transaction and they are being monitored on the situation (that's just what I was told). So, bought these 8 sets RRP £20 each and in total paid £80 after using 8 giftcards. They have another couple of AntMan sets left but the boxes are pretty bashed up. Still got another 8 giftcards left so will probably be back for a few other things sometime soon :)

I too had the same code sent through by email for my 2 online ones, so will wait and see if any of you hear anything back about that. Surely once the code is used once, the identical one in the second email will not work?

anty.jpg

I was thinking about a couple of price matches for items I didn't buy (for their own online price, only saving a couple of quid), but I couldn't do it to them as well as making them put through all the separate transactions anyway haha. I saw at least two other people buying Lego using the giftcards whilst I was out today also. Very popular offer ;)

Edit - Just had an email come through from ToysRUs with an updated code to use in place of my duplicated Lego one. I'm guessing you'll all get new codes come through now.

Edited by BarryZola
New Info

The TRU codes are working, however I'm finding a strange bug on the site. Once I've submitted one order with a code. putting something else in my basket and using another code always comes up as invalid. I think you need to clear session before next order. It eventually works but just seems to take time.

3 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

Do they only accept one voucher code for order? Whenever I've entered a code it would not let me submit another one prior to checkout.

Yeah only the 1 voucher code per order.  The voucher code box disappears when you apply one. 

My issue is place order with 1 code.  Compete order.  Put another item in basket go to checkout, put in next code given to me and it comes up invalid.  Leave it a while and eventually it comes back.  It's almost like the session doesn't clear down the coupon count once you complete an order. 

Anyone else having this issue with codes showing as invalid?  This is the TRU ones not the Lego ones at the moment, saving those because they have later expiry dates. 

Try clearing your cookies. I've been told by customer services that their site is a pain when it comes to codes and when you enter one you should check out immediately or risk invalidating the code. Did this previously and they had to give me a new code

So I used some of my vouchers today in store, they price matched, which I expected, but was told at the tills that I could use as many vouchers as I liked. Unfortunately they didn't have and of the larger exclusives, so this is what I bought...

2x DS Final Duels, price matched to £57.99 ea

x2 sets of series 7 mixels price matched to £1.99ea

x1 Carbon freezing chamber at rrp, gonna build this with my son tonight.

Total £167.75

Vouchers used - £100

Total £67.75

Think it all depends on the cashier. I had a great one, I didn't ask to use more than one and was gonna put the through the sets separately, but she insisted it was ok. I did feel bad when she had to price match the Mixels individually though :notme:. I thanked her for her help and will give her some feeback on the cs website. Gonna head to my other local tru tomorrow see if they will let me use my remaining vouchers on a UCS Tie

• Like 1

It will be a bit disappointing if you turn up to another store with a UCS Tie and they say you can't use more than one voucher now. Like you say though, you may be fortunate and find some more good staff who are willing to use some discretion and allow you to stack them. Like I said in one of my posts above, both stores I went to yesterday said no to stacking and I just took that as final and didn't want to ruin anyone's day by getting into a debate about it. We'll still manage to get good deals either way so no way am I going to bust anyone's balls whilst trying to use the giftcards. I wish you good luck :)

P.S - Went back to my local store today to get some more Antman sets, they only had a bashed up one left on the shelf so asked if they had any more 'out the back'. The girl checked and they hadn't, and before I could say anything else she asked if I wanted to see if she could get a discount on the bashed up one. She checked with her boss and he said is a fiver off any good? I said yeah, great. So ended up with a £20 Antman set for £5 after using a giftcard too. I feel some minifigures may be about to go on Ebay ;)  Need to check prices first.

Interesting on the stacking.  Was that the TRU cards or  the lego ones or a combo?

@BarryZola if you have any online vouchers left I noticed that they have ant man sets for delivery on the website. With 30 minimum spend for free delivery you could get 2 sets using one voucher for a £15 each buy ìn. If only we could flip them at US prices. 

8 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Interesting on the stacking.  Was that the TRU cards or  the lego ones or a combo?

@BarryZola if you have any online vouchers left I noticed that they have ant man sets for delivery on the website. With 30 minimum spend for free delivery you could get 2 sets using one voucher for a £15 each buy ìn. If only we could flip them at US prices. 

Just used the tru gift cards as they expire first.

24 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Yeah, I did that exact thing this morning getting 2 for £15 each online. I was gonna use the other online code to do the same again but kept getting that stupid error in the basket when trying to checkout my next lot of 2. Went out this afternoon and got back home and was gonna try again but now they're sold out for delivery haha. Stupid website!

My local store allowed you to stack 2. One TRU and one Lego. So I got 4 ant mans for free. Result! Also got a Hydra fortress for £30 so 50% off MRRP. Glad I made the trek out straight after work. Got some strange looks from staff as I was sorting through everything looking for the mint boxes fully suited and booted.

Yeah I'm using same tactic.  Saving a lot for any May 4th Offers and any clearance next month. 

What May the 4th deals did they have last year?

• Like 1

I was able to stack 2 gift cards as usual in my local TRU, not much on sale that intrested me though and i am not keen on paying rrp as most sets are on sale at some point, so at full rrp it seems like im just wasting a giftcard on something ive got cheaper or will get cheaper at a later date. Probably will just end up buying birthday and christmas presents with my vouchers.

46 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I was able to stack 2 gift cards as usual in my local TRU, not much on sale that intrested me though and i am not keen on paying rrp as most sets are on sale at some point, so at full rrp it seems like im just wasting a giftcard on something ive got cheaper or will get cheaper at a later date. Probably will just end up buying birthday and christmas presents with my vouchers.

Price match. Pick a deal you like & get them to match it, then use your giftcard

So far I've just used 3 of my online codes for 3 larger city sets with the 20% off. 

Going to see what price matches I can find for in store vouchers. Micro fighters, mighty micros and speed champions are top of the list if nothing comes on sale. 

I don't know what offers were on last year for May 4th but I think they'll do something.  I really want a sith infiltrator but it's not discounted enough yet. 

12 hours ago, TheGallows said:

Price match. Pick a deal you like & get them to match it, then use your giftcard

Thanks for the advice, i did price match 76046 on Monday which worked out £20 using 2 vouchers. I will have to keep an eye on TRU competitors prices in the hope of something better coming up at a cheaper price that i can price match with.