Prices of New Sets are Nuts

Just now, Val-E said:

There´s probably a tax break on Lego Super Heroes sets.

You'd need it if there's a 20% margin on Germany. 

Means even allowing for shipping I can order some new sets at RRP from Germany cheaper than I can get them in my local store.

Just a thought but what if Lego are looking at the secondary market and thinking...."what the heck!  People are paying 50% over RRP only months after a set has retired...we've obviously being selling our product too low.."

Ok maybe that's not exactly whats happening but they must look at the re-seller market and know that they can up their prices and demand will still be there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Just a thought but what if Lego are looking at the secondary market and thinking...."what the heck!  People are paying 50% over RRP only months after a set has retired...we've obviously being selling our product too low.."

Ok maybe that's not exactly whats happening but they must look at the re-seller market and know that they can up their prices and demand will still be there.

I´d say that´s part of it. We have seen more and more premium priced sets like GBHQ and Porsche 911 with eye watering RRP´s but on the other hand they are still better value than an old fire brigade or super street sensation.

When sets like 9493 shoot up to double rrp within a year of EOL and they consistently run out of RRP Falcons at XMas, who can blame them for upping the price. We are moving firmly into Apple territory.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I´d say that´s part of it. We have seen more and more premium priced sets like GBHQ and Porsche 911 with eye watering RRP´s but on the other hand they are still better value than an old fire brigade or super street sensation.

Surprisingly you can now counter that with Big Ben, I was shocked at how reasonably they've priced that at €219.99, even allowing for lots of small pieces, at 4,163 pieces that's a great price.

3 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I wouldn't say LEGO is looking at the reseller market and jacking up prices. I would say resellers and LEGO are both looking at the world and jacking up prices for "normal" sets. For me, I think LEGO is looking at the secondary market when it comes to their latest large offerings... realizing that there is money to be made for...

Just now, Val-E said:

For AFOLs who aren't into Star Wars UCS sets (or just into SW UCS) and have been clamoring for sets like GBHQ and Porsche 911 for a few years now. I think LEGO has been reacting in a pretty reasonable way.... Test the market with the Helicarrier, up the ante from the mixer with the ferris wheel, follow up the T1 with the Mini Cooper, recent Technic sets like the MKII and Volvo were well received so now we're getting the bucket wheel excavator Technic set which is a beast. They're slowly spreading their AFOL wings...

• Like 1

People always seek a bargain I sense that these sets are designed to be mainly sold below RRP without taking a hit during peak sale times. Besides most Lego is bought by parents for little Timmy/Tina who would pay more to ensure their love so it is Kids fault.

We need to see what discounts are available and whether the practice contiues with 4th quarter sets.

To be fair, MF 75105 is cheaper than 7965 and was discounted to pretty much the same amount last xmas whereas Tie and X wing cost substiantially more than previous ones with not a lot more plastic for the cash.

4 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Has anyone factored in year-or-year currency exchange rate fluctuations? Or prospective fluctuations due to the BREXIT possibility?

I'd think those would likely account for increased discrepancies across prices...

I think the just use the dartboard method TBH. 275 quid for the DS was one of the best deals ever and they never corrected that price once during a period where the pound went from almost worthless to 1,50 euros.

• 6 months later...
56 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Ok, but should I spend my VIP points in 2xVIP period or not?

4 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

I did during the recent October 2xVIP period and got almost the same amount points right back.  Bought the Fairground Mixer among other sets.  Then again , may yours was a rhetorical question. :) 

For analysis purposes, remember to deduct a certain percentage of any unused VIP points (the ones you might lose - should the ban hammer fall).

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

For analysis purposes, remember to deduct a certain percentage of any unused VIP points (the ones you might lose - should the ban hammer fall).

I just cut to the chase and ask @diablo2112 for permission each time, before using VIP points.  I want to make sure I'm doing it right and I can't keep it straight.

• Like 7

Seems to be a trend now. Prices for 2017 seem way above the usual "rule of thumb". Some sets have 400 pieces and they want like 70 dollars. I'm going to take a bet and say that Lego is aware people won't pay more for less...however more likely notified Amazon, Walmart, (all other big boys) about the hikes in advance and that's why we see brand new sets out the gate at 20-30% off.

Maybe it's new marketing for them..hoping people feel they are getting a deal when you see it in red and it's "20% off" yet Lego and wholesalers do just fine. I could be wrong but prices are going up a hella of a lot faster than inflation.

I know at the end of the day it's all about money but Lego is not publicly traded and what 3 people own the company? Their ROI is crazy even if all sets went to 75% off. I guess to beat previous Qs they need to increase production/price (ultimately hurting us)

Maybe it's a mix of all that or none of it but it's the only logical thing I can think of.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Was it?

Was not trying to offend you or anyone else here.  Most of here have probably asked ourselves the same question you asked and it it is a good one.  Personally I would do it and being a small investor myself, my spending tends to be a mix of personal and investing when I go the Lego store or shop online.  Maybe I fly under the radar that way and maybe it helps I take my kids with me.

Edited by LegoWalker4

7 hours ago, KShine said:

Do they still ban people?  With the prohibition on discounting exclusives lifted, there's almost no reason even to shop at LEGO Shop at Home these days.  VIP + promo is generally only around 10% off, whereas Target and Wal-Mart like to sell me 10236 30% below MSRP...

7 hours ago, GhostDad said:

Do they still ban people?  With the prohibition on discounting exclusives lifted, there's almost no reason even to shop at LEGO Shop at Home these days.  VIP + promo is generally only around 10% off, whereas Target and Wal-Mart like to sell me 10236 30% below MSRP...

I actually got banned a couple weeks ago. I am a long time, full timer - did nothing unusual (even less purchase activity than in the past), but it happened. 

9 hours ago, KShine said:

I actually got banned a couple weeks ago. I am a long time, full timer - did nothing unusual (even less purchase activity than in the past), but it happened. 

Sorry about that.  You'd think the ban police would be better employed kicking LEPIN listings off eBay...

• Like 1