60074 - Bulldozer

terrymc4677

With the recent Shopko and Wal-Mart clearance on this set I thought I would start a topic to discuss it's investment potential. These days if a set isn't Star Wars or an exclusive then it doesn't seem to garner much interest. A lot of us have learned that completely overlooking the small to medium sized sets from less popular themes can be a huge mistake. This set is one that I feel deserves some attention.

The City theme can be a tough theme to predict "winners". Police and Fire sub themes tend to be rehashed every other year. Most of those sets can be avoided for investment unless found at a steep discount. Construction sets on the other hand don't seem to be on the same rehash schedule. To take it a step further, mini fig scale bulldozers don't seem to be a priority for Lego. Not including technic, the last version of a mini fig scale bulldozer was in 2009 with set 7685. That set retailed for $40 and can currently be purchased on eBay for around $75-$90, new in box. I haven't checked Amazon because I don't sell there, but I'm assuming it's higher. The current version, 60074, also has a retail of $40, but is a much better looking vehicle compared to the 7685. Anyone creating a city layout will certainly have areas in their town that are "under construction". You can't have a construction site without a bulldozer or two shaping the earth and clearing piles of rubble.

The current Shopko clearance price is $27.99. If you buy in pairs and stack a $10 off $50 coupon these can be had for $22.99 each, before your local sales tax. That equates to 43% off. As always, buy in price is critical. Other regions of the country that don't have Shopko should be able to acquire these at other retailers at a similar price eventually. I wouldn't rush out and load up on these at retail, but if you can stack a coupon with a clearance or sale price then I say go for it. I have had good success in the past with unique construction vehicles, and I feel that this set may be a hidden gem. So far I've got 18, and will buy any more I can find at a solid discount during this round of clearance. If this set, if bought low enough, can perform the same as 7685, then I'd be happy with those returns. Personally, I think it has potential to do more. It's a much better looking set in my opinion. 

Thoughts?

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 2

CITY sets are good investments if bought at the right price or they have a short life and have some kind of rarity value e.g no remake for a while. I´d expect at least 40% off to make it worth my while.

CITY sets are good investments if bought at the right price or they have a short life and have some kind of rarity value e.g no remake for a while. I´d expect at least 40% off to make it worth my while.

• Like 1

Just now, Val-E said:

Well said.

Well said.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

With the recent Shopko and Wal-Mart clearance on this set I thought I would start a topic to discuss it's investment potential. These days if a set isn't Star Wars or an exclusive then it doesn't seem to garner much interest. A lot of us have learned that completely overlooking the small to medium sized sets from less popular themes can be a huge mistake. This set is one that I feel deserves some attention.

The City theme can be a tough theme to predict "winners". Police and Fire sub themes tend to be rehashed every other year. Most of those sets can be avoided for investment unless found at a steep discount. Construction sets on the other hand don't seem to be on the same rehash schedule. To take it a step further, mini fig scale bulldozers don't seem to be a priority for Lego. Not including technic, the last version of a mini fig scale bulldozer was in 2009 with set 7685. That set retailed for $40 and can currently be purchased on eBay for around $75-$90, new in box. I haven't checked Amazon because I don't sell there, but I'm assuming it's higher. The current version, 60074, also has a retail of $40, but is a much better looking vehicle compared to the 7685. Anyone creating a city layout will certainly have areas in their town that are "under construction". You can't have a construction site without a bulldozer or two shaping the earth and clearing piles of rubble.

The current Shopko clearance price is $27.99. If you buy in pairs and stack a $10 off $50 coupon these can be had for $22.99 each, before your local sales tax. That equates to 43% off. As always, buy in price is critical. Other regions of the country that don't have Shopko should be able to acquire these at other retailers at a similar price eventually. I wouldn't rush out and load up on these at retail, but if you can stack a coupon with a clearance or sale price then I say go for it. I have had good success in the past with unique construction vehicles, and I feel that this set may be a hidden gem. So far I've got 18, and will buy any more I can find at a solid discount during this round of clearance. If this set, if bought low enough, can perform the same as 7685, then I'd be happy with those returns. Personally, I think it has potential to do more. It's a much better looking set in my opinion. 

Thoughts?

Jet has them for $31.99 now, and if you have a 15% off coupon (or any other of their myriad offerings) it gets it down to $25.11/ea and I don't think Jet charges tax which for me is great...so that $25 gets me right to your stated buy in price. I look at your logic as sound. I finally got rid of my 4th 60004 fire station today, didn't make a killing but bought at 50% off and put a couple bucks in my pocket. If your logic is not sound, well then I have the porto pottie truck and garbage truck to really help my construction site out as well.  :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, midbenne said:

Jet has them for $31.99 now, and if you have a 15% off coupon (or any other of their myriad offerings) it gets it down to $25.11/ea and I don't think Jet charges tax which for me is great...so that $25 gets me right to your stated buy in price. I look at your logic as sound. I finally got rid of my 4th 60004 fire station today, didn't make a killing but bought at 50% off and put a couple bucks in my pocket. If your logic is not sound, well then I have the porto pottie truck and garbage truck to really help my construction site out as well.  :) 

Garbage trucks have done well for me in the past, bought at a discount of course. Every city needs a garbage truck or two. The porto-potty truck is a bit of a gamble. The truck itself is nothing special. People who buy this set are buying it for the porto-potty, which makes me believe that this set would perform better if you part it out. Just a hunch. Construction sites always have a porto-potty. 

2 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Garbage trucks have done well for me in the past, bought at a discount of course. Every city needs a garbage truck or two. The porto-potty truck is a bit of a gamble. The truck itself is nothing special. People who buy this set are buying it for the porto-potty, which makes me believe that this set would perform better if you part it out. Just a hunch. Construction sites always have a porto-potty. 

Grabbed a couple off amazon last week for $14. I figured for that...a couple porto potties would be well worth it...now as you say the truck, eh, not so much but even for the entertainment value alone, $14 is worth it. If they do something, great, if not...I know at least one of my 3 boys will be happy, and if they aren't, I am :)

I can totally see how police/fire sets aren't as easily moved as something like a bulldozer that is made once every 7 years vs. once every 2 - 3. Again, I like the logic and I hope it's just another set and flies under the radar...one can hope...so delete the thread now? ;) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

I think at near half-off, you'll be ok.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Honestly, the existence of this thread at this point in time would prevent the set from reaching its full potential :devil:

Possibly, but after a day or two nobody will be posting in this thread anymore because it's about a City themed set, and nobody cares about City. It will soon be buried amongst all of the other long forgotten topics that are not related to Star Wars, bubbles, or daily deals, never to be heard from again. A day or two of discussion won't kill it's long term potential. Plus it's a Wednesday. Everyone is at work anyway.

• Like 2

For what it’s worth I recently built

60074   Bulldozer
60083   Snowplough Truck
60073   Service Truck
60118   Garbage truck
60081   Pickup Tow Truck

They all felt small, even for small city sets.  I already have a few (10 or so) Snowploughs and service trucks, I’ll not be getting anymore. Bulldozer, for me was the worst of the lot, compared to the 2009 7685 Dozer, it’s tiny and the doorway section doesn’t help it.   Garbage truck for my money is the pick of the bunch.  

I love the garbage truck... btw its a commercial garbage truck. 
Not the same as the last garbage truck we had 4432, which is doing very well.
My only concern is that its almost the same as the Toys story garbage truck 7599, hasn't even double after 6 years.

The Service truck was a no brainer for $14 buckeroos.   msrp is $25.
All Minifigures has to take a dump. 

The Bulldozer???.........Jury is still out on this one for me.  But if its 40-50% off.