Top 45 List of Largest Lego Sets

jaisonline

2007-09 and 2014-16 seem to have been golden periods for people that like their large exclusives. Does that mean there will be a 5-year period of smaller sets till the next cycle?

It might also be a neat idea to add the weight of each set in too so as we can see if the sets are actually getting bigger or not.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dmind said:

Would be nice to have a same list with heaviest boxes, as e.g. Tower Bridge and Big Ben are quite equal in pieces, but differ 20% in weight I believe.

I looked at doing this yesterday to figure the PPG of some sets and you can get various results. Look at sets like the T1 or PC that have two different boxes. There is a table of all the modulars on here with the PPG but it uses boxed set weight which I don't think is a good comparison to use on these bigger sets.  On BL you can get the boxed set weight and then the box and instruction weights to subtract out but some sets like GBHQ, SSD and Sandcrawler have inner boxes as well. Then you have the bags, extra pieces, cardboard backings and more. For GBHQ the weight of the plastic is actualy 2/3 of the reported set weight so not just a negligible amount. So probably best to weigh the built set with minifigures and stickers if applicable to get a true comparison. 

For GBHQ I got 0.93 PPG. I could have just weighed the set but I sold the figs and made some mods 

For Big Ben I got 0.65 PPG I am going to start building this one next but if someone has one done would be nice to get a weight. 

ETA and then there is this PPP but for current sets only:

http://brickset.com/sets/query-47

Edited by Pseudoty

I'll add the weight in grams, grams - cost ratio, etc... To get a true grams per cost ratio, inflation needs to be included :( but i'll include this.  All of the latter is why I'll prob end up writing this as a blog.

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

2007-09 and 2014-16 seem to have been golden periods for people that like their large exclusives. Does that mean there will be a 5-year period of smaller sets till the next cycle?

It might also be a neat idea to add the weight of each set in too so as we can see if the sets are actually getting bigger or not.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I need to add 75059 ;( to the list.

in the meantime, here is very nice list by TheBrickBlogger. Unlike your's truly, his/ her list goes up to 11 while mine will soon be at 50!  Ha

http://thebrickblogger.com/2016/09/the-largest-lego-sets-of-all-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thebrickblogger+(TheBrickBlogger)

25 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

in the meantime, here is very nice list by TheBrickBlogger. Unlike your's truly, his / her list goes up to 11 while mine will soon be at 50!  Ha

http://thebrickblogger.com/2016/09/the-largest-lego-sets-of-all-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thebrickblogger+(TheBrickBlogger)

'He' is actually a 'She' :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

in the meantime, here is very nice list by TheBrickBlogger. Unlike your's truly, his/ her list goes up to 11 while mine will soon be at 50!  Ha

19092608.jpg

.... (mis)using your mod powers to alter history :)

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 3