LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this is where we will see the new and improved Death Star set?

I can see Emperor Palpatine Fun Pack with a micro build Death Star and/or Darth Vader Fun Pack with micro build SSD in future / wave 2 release.  At least for this wave, Star Wars is not listed as one of the brands / titles featured in the game.

Star Wars won't be included. My own speculation but as someone else said, Star Wars is owned by Disney. They already plan to add those characters to their own Infinity game. They won't erode their own product for a smaller margin here.

We won't get Marvel character in this either.

• Like 1

Star Wars won't be included. My own speculation but as someone else said, Star Wars is owned by Disney. They already plan to add those characters to their own Infinity game. They won't erode their own product for a smaller margin here.

We won't get Marvel character in this either.

lol I totally forgot about Disney ownership of SW.

No one has asked the bigger question - has Lego secured the rights to The Wizard of Oz? Are we going to see sets and minifigs based off the movie?

I am more interested to know if the Simpsons, Scooby Doo, and Ghostbusters will make appearance in the wave 2 of the fun packs :)

Warner bros. owns the rights to Wizard of Oz, Back to the Future, and we're the movie studio that made The Lego Movie (they may partially own the rights to TLM as well). They are partners in this venture with Lego.

If the movie was released by a Warner label and kid friendly, chances are you'll see it down the road.

According to good ol' Wikipedia, here are some other franchises Warner Bros. owns:

Hanna-Barbera cartoons (Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Top Cat, and Scooby-Doo among many others)

Peanuts

Sesame Street

Gilligan's Island

King Kong

Warner Bros. also produced the Harry Potter movies and The Polar Express, and under the Hannah-Barbera catalog, own the TV series rights to Marvel's original Fantastic Four cartoon and the Smurfs TV cartoon.

Well anyone worrying about anything possibly glued to the base with a data chip or whatever can rest assured that isn't the case. To begin with each of the "Fun Packs" states "Building Toy". If something was pre-glued it would be false advertising to place such a disclaimer. Finally just one glance at Unikitty for example shows there will be two open studs for placing a minifigure or build on top of the piece in the same manner as those stands included in every Collectable Minifigure packet.

While I am not keen on the prices stated, it is understandable between the custom bases with unique printing and included electronics. I do spot some rare to possibly limited parts used in the microbuilds which is good but far as I can tell for this first wave only the wicked witch from Wizard of OZ is an exclusive character and I think the winged monkey could have benefitted from having a printed minifigure head.

Honestly I find the base stands included inside each of these Fun Packs a lot better looking than the plain Collectable Minifigure ones. I already have the Wonder Woman minifigure here but that special stand would add an extra touch of professionalism to her on display with the other Super Heroes. Regardless of the game, I will buy myself the Wicked Witch at least. The $15 is hefty but then again look at how much people are willing to pay just for other similar exclusive minifigures because that is all they want from the set and do not wish to bother trying to get rid of all the unnecessary parts in the process.

Don't count on it Disney owns star wars.

lol I totally forgot about Disney ownership of SW.

Yet the Millennium Falcon with Han Solo, C-3PO, and groovy Lando appeared in The LEGO Movie. A cameo sure but certainly a heck of one. If the possible profits seem high enough then Disney will make it so. How many millions did they pour into Wreck-It Ralph just for small cameos by the most famous characters created by corporations they don't own (yet) in video game history? Like any good business, they'll go where the money's at.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that TLG's relationship between Traveler's Tales, WB, And Disney make it highly LIKELY that we will see Star Wars and Mavel make an appearance here. Especially since TLG and Tt games have already handled so many Disney/ Marvel/ Lucas/ WB properties with such great success in the past.

Disney Infinity isn't flying off the shelves like Disney imagined it would. Just the other day I saw several 2.0 characters on their second markdown at Target for $4.98 and both Skylanders and Infinity get marked down to nearly 50% off once a month. How often does a LEGO set do that?

Also Infinity is geared toward much younger players just getting into gaming. The screens shown in the montage at the end of the Dimensions video released today show much more indepth playing environments and a true melding of franchises Infinty hasn't tried to do with its story lines. Skylanders is for an older crowd but still doesn't offer the variety that Dimensions will.

Back to the idea of Star Wars and Marvel seeing a Dimensions release, you can buy Darth Vader as an action figure in a number of different sizes, dolls, plush, statues and a thousand other forms; and when it comes to Marvel properties, especially Avengers, the variation is even greater(how many suits does Iron Man have?!) Disney is not going to miss yet another licensing opportunity to get people to buy Han Solo as playable character in a LEGO game. I won't buy that action figure, but I'll sure as heck buy that LEGO set. It's easy money and a totally different market share than Infinity's they'd be stupid not to tap into. Besides, the thought of Iron Man and Batman teaming up against Emperor Palpaltine and Lex Luthor?! Dollar signs!

The bottom line difference here (and LEGO knows it) between Dimensions and Skylanders/ Infinity is that even after the playability of the game runs its course the money spent on all of the additional characters and accessories are still LEGO built and therefore valuable to all fans of LEGO. Based on the piece counts it's lose bricks built onto bases, no Kragle. The licensing potential is nearly infiniteless for LEGO, Disney and Especially Skylanders are extremely limited.

Skylanders sit in a box marked yard sale after that game is beaten or children lose interest. LEGO Marty McFly and LEGO Gimli go on an adventure to Hogwarts after the game is through!

• Like 1

The issue I have with Star Wars appearing in this is not Infinity but with the contractual agreements which prevent Lego from selling Star Wars mini figures stand alone as its a violation of the Hasbro Star Wars agreements for action figures.  Would that prevent Star Wars from being able to be a figure in a box to go with this video game?  I do not know and I hope not but my guess would be yes.

The issue I have with Star Wars appearing in this is not Infinity but with the contractual agreements which prevent Lego from selling Star Wars mini figures stand alone as its a violation of the Hasbro Star Wars agreements for action figures.  Would that prevent Star Wars from being able to be a figure in a box to go with this video game?  I do not know and I hope not but my guess would be yes.

That is true however here the LEGO minifigures would be released along with an included microbuild similar to polybags therefore not sold as standalone figures. Every contract has its loopholes and 'technicalities'.

Well anyone worrying about anything possibly glued to the base with a data chip or whatever can rest assured that isn't the case. To begin with each of the "Fun Packs" states "Building Toy". If something was pre-glued it would be false advertising to place such a disclaimer. Finally just one glance at Unikitty for example shows there will be two open studs for placing a minifigure or build on top of the piece in the same manner as those stands included in every Collectable Minifigure packet.

While I am not keen on the prices stated, it is understandable between the custom bases with unique printing and included electronics. I do spot some rare to possibly limited parts used in the microbuilds which is good but far as I can tell for this first wave only the wicked witch from Wizard of OZ is an exclusive character and I think the winged monkey could have benefitted from having a printed minifigure head.

I think you may be right, but the building toy aspect could refer to the mini build and not the minifig.  They do show the Batmobile being built so it's safe to assume those are removable, but I still want to see one of the characters off their base.  I imagine there would be some people upset if they couldn't remove the minifigs from the bases and it's probably easier to make them removable.

Also Infinity is geared toward much younger players just getting into gaming. The screens shown in the montage at the end of the Dimensions video released today show much more indepth playing environments and a true melding of franchises Infinty hasn't tried to do with its story lines. Skylanders is for an older crowd but still doesn't offer the variety that Dimensions will.

The bottom line difference here (and LEGO knows it) between Dimensions and Skylanders/ Infinity is that even after the playability of the game runs its course the money spent on all of the additional characters and accessories are still LEGO built and therefore valuable to all fans of LEGO. Based on the piece counts it's lose bricks built onto bases, no Kragle. The licensing potential is nearly infiniteless for LEGO, Disney and Especially Skylanders are extremely limited.

Skylanders sit in a box marked yard sale after that game is beaten or children lose interest. LEGO Marty McFly and LEGO Gimli go on an adventure to Hogwarts after the game is through!

On your first point, that has not been my experience.  We don't have Infinity, but the kids have played it at a friend's house.  Being as young as they are, they struggle with building anything in the Toy Box, but they do enjoy the premade areas.  I don't like that characters can't cross over into different worlds, I think they missed an opportunity there.  My kids seem to do better with Skylanders and the more linear play, but we are more into that franchise.

The second point is a good one, and another reason why they probably aren't making the minifigures and bases one piece.  Stomaching buying more of these "toys to life" would be easier if you were essentially buying a Lego set that could be used in the game.

It looks like these "fun packs" may be similar to a microfighter set.

I think you may be right, but the building toy aspect could refer to the mini build and not the minifig. They do show the Batmobile being built so it's safe to assume those are removable, but I still want to see one of the characters off their base. I imagine there would be some people upset if they couldn't remove the minifigs from the bases and it's probably easier to make them removable.

Good point. Technically there only need to be one section of the product to be considered as "buildable". I would believe for the sake of sales and the item being essentially for kids that any of the minifigures included are no different than what could be purchased in a regular set. So far the best example aside from Unikitty I can see is Gollum. A character made from three parts (body and arms) and in the Fun Pack picture, his arms are moving about plus only one foot is actually stuck to the base.

I get what you guys are saying about "why wouldn't Disney include Marvel and Star Wars in Lego Dimensions" - but here's a point I feel you guys are missing - competitive products.

So, Disney has Disney Infinity.  Selling well or not, that's a product that they own (for the most part) outright.  They don't have to license their characters to get into the action. They own the characters, they have complete creative control over their use, and for the most part, every dime earned on the sales of the toys to utilize with the game goes back into Disney's pockets.

If Disney Infinity didn't exist, no doubt they'd be right at the front of the line with Lego Dimensions.  But, Lego Dimensions is 100% a competitve product.

So, instead of Disney getting all the coin, they've got to share it with Lego.  And, while sharing it with Lego, they also undercut their own brand and jeopardize sales of their own wholly owned product.  It just doesn't make business sense to put yourself into a position where you stand to make less money.  Are you getting your IP out there into more areas?  Of course, but you're doing it at diluting the entire brand.

Now, ask yourself this.  Does Lego *need* to have the Disney brands in this game?  I'd answer no.  Above, there's a list of the properties that Warner Brothers has that Lego can license.  There's plenty of IP there to mine for this product.

And keep in mind, it works both ways.  If Infinity and Dimensions are already viewed as competing products, then Lego will want to make them as different as possible.  Otherwise, you run the risk of someone thinking "I want to play Spider-Man, I can just play it here in Infinity."  Lego is already saying that the Starter Set will be useable for years, and that there is no need for a compatibility chart.  So they are already trying to establish a difference between these products.  They want to try to make this unique enough so if someone already has Infinity, they are more likely to say "wow, I can only play those characters over there."

You got to keep in mind that we're all pretty savvy here, and we see though this stuff, but remember the general public - the same ones that pay $75 for a Creative Tower that they could have gotten for $20 a couple of months ago (because the rest of us did) are the same ones that are going to be thinking what I outlined above.

After looking closer at the extended trailer, there are a few things to point out:

1. At 4:17. They took time to point out the Batmobile was customizable (as it should be for a brickbuild model).

I am actually excited to see how much modification can be reflected in game (ie. here are 3 custom builds that can be shown immediately in game vs build whatever you want and it will be shown in game as is  :P)   :thumbsup:

2. At 4:04. At least the accessories are not kragled to the minifig ;)

3. At 4:52. I am sold on the brick built Balrog !!!!! That thing is better be one of the fun packs  :heat:  

ETA: The RIDDLER is riding the Balrog !!

4. At 4:45. Cast of the Wizard of Oz

5. At 4:50. Pretty sure the vehicle behind Marty is a customized Delorean (a speculation to supporrt my point #1)

6. 4:53. Barad-dur + Eye of Sauron. Per 4:56, It is pretty safe to assume it is one of the levels

7. At 4:42 & 4:56 & 5:01, it seems they use portals a la Sliders (the TV series) or as in O in "Dimensions" logo to hop from one dimension to the next

8. What is that monster shot by Batwing at 4:59 ?

On other thought, I wished LEGO still had TMNT license, those would have been sweet addition to this game

ETA:

Someone else's analysis:

• Like 1