71042 - Silent Mary

Alpinemaps

There's an image floating around the web today, hinting at new Pirates of the Caribbean sets for 2017!  Set numbers 75990, 75991, 75992, and 75993.  No details about the sets yet.

Can't confirm this rumor to be true at this time.  But, what do you think?  New POTC sets?  A win or a loss?  What does that do to our older sets?  Anyone expect a remake?  Is this why the 2015 Pirates line ended after a year?

• Like 1

There will definitely be a ship.
I wish it were the Flying Dutchman, but i doubt that ship will return.
Queen Anne's Revenge and/or the Black Pearl could be in the new movie. And there will certainly be a new ship captained by the new antagonist. It's suppose to have a ghost crew.

• Like 1

I think this line will not do as well as the 2015 line post retirement bc more people will try to captivate on it.

I also think that these sets will drive down the value of 2015 sets since they are creating a cheaper, possibly even better alternative.

I agree with the first part.
But maybe not the second.
If either of the previous ships have a significant presence in the new movie, and are not remade, their value will certainly increase.

The old play sets may still do well because it's been many years since the last film. It could kick up nostalgia. I'm sure DIsney will be making all kinds of packaged deals on the original trilogy and the 4th movie on Dvd and bluray.
Particularly if those older sets have key characters like the Turners that aren't overly replicated (I'm not holding my breath, there'll probably be 1/2 dozen new Orlando Bloom minifigs).

Here's to hoping for the best.
  • Like 1

I would 100% expect another Black Pearl as it's in the next film.  No update about another QAR but you never know (Barbossa captained it at the end of the last movie).  I don't think we'll see another QAR though.

I also the original line of ships will be hurt (value wise) if remakes are done.  

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

I hope they do something UCSish with the ship. Imperial Flagship was ~1600 pieces. I'd love to see a similar sized ship in the 2000 pieces range, with tons of detailing. That would be excellent. 

Let the hoarding begin... and don't expect the same returns as the first phase ;-)

Surely the whole POTC thing is getting a bit tired by now. I thought the last movie was a bust? I'd rather see some huge ship sets of real historical ships, like HMS Victory or something.

If it worked for "Police Academy", why not for POTC? I need a Tackleberry CMF.
  • Like 6

Surely the whole POTC thing is getting a bit tired by now. I thought the last movie was a bust? I'd rather see some huge ship sets of real historical ships, like HMS Victory or something.

That's what everyone said when the 4th movie came out, 'we don't need another.'
But it grossed more than $1 billion world wide. Despite weak reviews and being the most expensive film ever made. It was the Chinese Democracy of the film industry, except people actually paid for it.