Star Wars 2017

fossilrock

Star Wars: Winter Wave sets.

LEGO Star Wars 75176 - €39.99 - (£29.99, $29.99) - Resistance Transport Pod
LEGO Star Wars 75177 - €59.99 - (£54.99, $49.99) - First Order Heavy Scout Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75179 - €79.99 - (£74.99, $79.99) - Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter
LEGO Star Wars 75187 - €99.99 - (£84.99, $99.99) - UCS BB-8
LEGO Star Wars 75188 - €109.99 - (£99.99, $109.99) - Resistance Bomber
LEGO Star Wars 75189 - €139.99 - (£129.99, $149.99)  - Heavy Assault Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75190 - €149.99 - (£139.99, $159.99)  -The Finalizer : First Order Star Destroyer

LEGO Star Wars 75526 - €19.99 - (£14.99, $19.99)  - Elite TIE Fighter Pilot
LEGO Star Wars 75528 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Rey
LEGO Star Wars 75529 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Elite Praetorian Guard
LEGO Star Wars 75530 - €34.99 - (£29.99, $34.99) - Chewbacca

Edited by jaisonline
updated w/ more info
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the Lego inflation for the new wave of Star Wars sets seems to be quite extreme.

I know price-per-piece is not the best metric and it's use is debatable, but I think it's fair to compare average price-per-piece over a large number of similar sets.

I'm taking the prices I'm seeing over here at S@H, excluding sub 20€ sets because the price-per-piece ratio for those is not as relevant.

• 75173: Luke's Landspeeder 29.99€ / 149 pieces = 20.1 cents per piece
  • 75169: Duel on Naboo 34.99€ / 208 pieces = 16.8 cents per piece
  • 75171: Battle on Scarif 69.99€ / 419 pieces = 16.7 cents per piece
  • 75170: The Phantom 44.99€ / 269 pieces = 16.7 cents per piece
  • 75174: Desert Skiff Escape 44.99€ / 277 pieces = 16.2 cents per piece
  • 75175: A-wing Starfighter 54.99€ / 358 pieces = 15.4 cents per piece
  • 75168: Yoda's Jedi Starfighter 34.99€ / 262 pieces = 13.4 cents per piece
  • 75172: Y-wing Starfighter 79.99€ / 691 pieces = 11.6 cents per piece

The average price-per-piece for sets is: 15.9 cents per piece. The Y-Wing seems to be the only "good deal" out of the whole bunch.

Now, I didn't bother doing the calculation for the 2016 sets, but IIRC those were around 13 cents per piece on average. That is a 22.3% increase in price!

Maybe we'll see more discounts in the coming year, but they would have to be pretty darn good to compensate for this absurd price hike.

To summarize, this is now what a 70€ set looks like:

75171-1.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the Lego inflation for the new wave of Star Wars sets seems to be quite extreme.

Saw most of these on smyths shelves this morning and most of them look real overpriced.  75170: The Phantom in particular.  Only one that really looked value at retail was 75173: Luke's Landspeeder and that was only due to the 4 figs.  If these don’t go to 30% discount soon, like immediately, they aren’t going to move.  

Well, having watched the movie, the most popular figs will be K2-SO (sadly the boring Krennics Ship), the blind force monk (tank set) and the guy with the machine gun blaster (AT-ST).

There are plenty of new starships and the AT-ACT.

To be honest, the Imperial transport played a bigger role than the U-wing in the movie, so again surprised they picked the Uwing.

On 17/12/2016 at 0:20 AM, c_rpg said:

I know price-per-piece is not the best metric and it's use is debatable, but I think it's fair to compare average price-per-piece over a large number of similar sets.

I'm taking the prices I'm seeing over here at LEGO Shop at Home, excluding sub 20€ sets because the price-per-piece ratio for those is not as relevant.

• 75173: Luke's Landspeeder 29.99€ / 149 pieces = 20.1 cents per piece
  • 75169: Duel on Naboo 34.99€ / 208 pieces = 16.8 cents per piece
  • 75171: Battle on Scarif 69.99€ / 419 pieces = 16.7 cents per piece
  • 75170: The Phantom 44.99€ / 269 pieces = 16.7 cents per piece
  • 75174: Desert Skiff Escape 44.99€ / 277 pieces = 16.2 cents per piece
  • 75175: A-wing Starfighter 54.99€ / 358 pieces = 15.4 cents per piece
  • 75168: Yoda's Jedi Starfighter 34.99€ / 262 pieces = 13.4 cents per piece
  • 75172: Y-wing Starfighter 79.99€ / 691 pieces = 11.6 cents per piece

The average price-per-piece for sets is: 15.9 cents per piece. The Y-Wing seems to be the only "good deal" out of the whole bunch.

Now, I didn't bother doing the calculation for the 2016 sets, but IIRC those were around 13 cents per piece on average. That is a 22.3% increase in price!

Maybe we'll see more discounts in the coming year, but they would have to be pretty darn good to compensate for this absurd price hike.

German prices are quite a bit cheaper, as usual. Y wing is only 70, which seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

German prices are quite a bit cheaper, as usual. Y wing is only 70, which seems reasonable.

Yep, that's true. Increase in price is still there though, albeit a bit less extreme.

Y-Wing for 70€ is a decent price indeed. Considering 9495 was 50€ and had two minifigures less and the new one has the ammo loader crane thing.

The A-Wing, I would only consider at 30€ or less. It has the Lando figure, which could be a 10-15€ figure, but the other minifigures are pretty bland.

Perhaps the LEGO folks worry that a bigger than normal at-at may be too unsteady and fragile for the mass market, which could lead to returns and all sorts of headaches.  Agree def on an ISD and MF remake.

Let's just hope that they are true UCS sets more akin with the pre Disney era. Having seen the film a ISD seems a no brainer.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:13 AM, Val-E said:

No one has said anything about BB8. It´s a wasted opportunity if Lego don´t make a UCS or larger scale model in time for Ep8.

Hush.  If Lego wastes a UCS slot on BB8...  It can't happen.  It just can't happen.  BB8 is the new Jar-Jar.  I want him dead.  Every minute of Ep. VII, I kept hoping a lucky First Order shot would take him out.  I knew he'd live, but I had to have hope.  I am so done with goofy cutesy droids.  They might as well put Wall-E in Ep. VIII (that would at least be good for my investment in 21303).

Hush.  If Lego wastes a UCS slot on BB8...  It can't happen.  It just can't happen.  BB8 is the new Jar-Jar.  I want him dead.  Every minute of Ep. VII, I kept hoping a lucky First Order shot would take him out.  I knew he'd live, but I had to have hope.  I am so done with goofy cutesy droids.  They might as well put Wall-E in Ep. VIII (that would at least be good for my investment in 21303).

I would equate bb-8 to a new R2D2 not Jar Jar personally
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PickSomeBricks said:

I would equate bb-8 to a new R2D2 not Jar Jar personally

My happiest moment watching Ep. IV was when Vader shot R2's head off during Luke's trench run.  That said, even silly, incomprehensible R2 had more personality than BB8, who is basically a spherical Furbie.

Guest TabbyBoy

Due to LEGO's half-arsed designs of most current SW sets, I wouldn't be surprised to see a UCS JarJar. A UCS BB8 would be superb but, I just think it's too difficult to design a moving model or even one that looks remotely round, especially with the retards 3yr olds working in the design department at the moment. A UCS Darth Vader bust is what I really want!

At this point, they seem to be making a set with boba fett in it about every year.. So, how valuable is that figure going to be anymore?  Same can be said for Darth Maul... every other year they seem to have something with that character in it.  So, how great are those sets as investments at this point? 

Really, out of all these winter wave sets, I only like the y-wing and the two battle packs, and am going to pass on the rest. 

The older desert skiff looks better than the current one .. The battle on scarif is kind of bare bones and doesn't have a lot of interesting things on it to make it worth the purchase or investment.  That set needs way more minis..  Lukes landspeeder, the phantom, yodas jedi starfighter and the awing are not that mindblowing either, and since my son already has other versions of these, I'm not going to buy them just to get a single minifigure.  At that point, i'll just scarf lando and the weequay skiff guard on ebay for our collection and call it a day. Not really going to buy all of those rehashed sets just for two figures.  I felt the same way about getting Chirrut from the hovertank.

The y-wing, i'll buy, since we don't have one of those, although technically it's a rehash too, so I could see if some are hesitant on that one too.  But I like that you get a decent vehicle, and the minifigure selection is well done with a diversity of characters.  Moroff and Raddus are bonus figures, which makes it worth the purchase.  I wish many of the other sets were the same way. 

• Like 1