Star Wars 2017

fossilrock

Star Wars: Winter Wave sets.

LEGO Star Wars 75176 - €39.99 - (£29.99, $29.99) - Resistance Transport Pod
LEGO Star Wars 75177 - €59.99 - (£54.99, $49.99) - First Order Heavy Scout Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75179 - €79.99 - (£74.99, $79.99) - Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter
LEGO Star Wars 75187 - €99.99 - (£84.99, $99.99) - UCS BB-8
LEGO Star Wars 75188 - €109.99 - (£99.99, $109.99) - Resistance Bomber
LEGO Star Wars 75189 - €139.99 - (£129.99, $149.99)  - Heavy Assault Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75190 - €149.99 - (£139.99, $159.99)  -The Finalizer : First Order Star Destroyer

LEGO Star Wars 75526 - €19.99 - (£14.99, $19.99)  - Elite TIE Fighter Pilot
LEGO Star Wars 75528 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Rey
LEGO Star Wars 75529 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Elite Praetorian Guard
LEGO Star Wars 75530 - €34.99 - (£29.99, $34.99) - Chewbacca

Edited by jaisonline
updated w/ more info
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

A UCS set will probably happen but to do a like for like remake will kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Lego must love it each time the press do an article on the value of the Falcon. A big playset Falcon that has an interior and lots of minifigures is what I think will happen, but what do I know ?

5 minutes ago, KShine said:

Maybe they want to wait & see just how much $ they will lose.

Never thought we would see the day when having patience (in LEGO investing) became a negative attribute.

At 5k a set already i have to wonder if continuing to hold can really be described as patience.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

My pair of ships are still sitting there, sealed :drag: I'm so lazy. 

Do we know which one is being remade?

Not yet, the only thing we've seen is a D2C $200 rumor.

I picked up a couple extra Queen Anne's used, built, then sold.  Fun builds...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Lets not kid ourselves, the remake is gonna happen, if not this year then next year.  If you have any 10179 to sell I would do it sooner than later.  I'm not sure what you would be waiting for at this point if you're still holding on to stock.

I agree.  To an elite LEGO snob like myself, owning and keeping a MISB 10179 wasn't about making money from it.  It was about owning it.  It will always be special to me.  Also considering it is a 35th Anniversary First Edition set, I think it is still a worthy collectible.  That being said...If you have multiple 10179s as an investment, you might want to consider selling a few.  

• Like 2

I thought 10179 was a fail sales wise, sure all of the AFOL'S who missed out on it will buy it, but they only represent a minority of lego sales. I don't see it being a commercial success, unless they call it "limited edition" or state short production run. 

Assuming lego want to go all out for this anniversary edition this set has to be 6000+ pieces and will be the most expensive lego set ever, guessing £499.99 or £549.99.

Like others have said, let's not get too happy until we see pictures. 

2 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

And you guys thought I was crazy when I said that was foreshadowing a UCS falcon! Lol

The image of the falcon on the box has probably nothing to do with the new set. It just rationally belongs to any random SW merchandise as an illustration/background/etc.

My econometrics teacher back in uni gave the example that change in M1 monetary mass in the UK is 99.8% explained by the bladder infection rate in Scotland.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I agree.  To an elite LEGO snob like myself, owning and keeping a MISB 10179 wasn't about making money from it.  It was about owning it.  It will always be special to me.  Also considering it is a 35th Anniversary First Edition set, I think it is still a worthy collectible.  That being said...If you have multiple 10179s as an investment, you might want to consider selling a few.  

Yeah it makes total sense to keep one for all the reasons you mentioned (I would too if I had one!).  

Anyway, just my two cents.  Considering that 10179 was a poor seller for $500, if LEGO wants to make money, they would be stupid to just rehash it.

If I were LEGO, I would just release a playful set for $300-400, with 10-15 minifigs and a detailed interior. If they are smart, they release  EPVII and Han Solo movie expansion packs for it that are also good standalone sets. Going higher would not make sense because it would eat away space from the DS, and we don't have a large SW set in the $300-400 range with the Sandcrawler going away. It would be logical to fill that gap with a money maker. This would be a genuine cash cow, maybe with a top that can be removed as a lid, not like the ugly petal type method of the smaller MF versions. 

Therefore I would not bet against 10179. Quite the opposite, the release of a set like this would alleviate any concerns about a potential 10179 remake, giving hesitating people confidence to finally buy it, raising the price further.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, inversion said:

Therefore I would not bet against 10179. Quite the opposite, the release of a set like this would alleviate any concerns about a potential 10179 remake, giving hesitating people confidence to finally buy it, raising the price further.

I will be happy to take that bet.

Sell your 10179's now & then just buy it back at less than half the price. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, inversion said:

Anyway, just my two cents.  Considering that 10179 was a poor seller for $500, if LEGO wants to make money, they would be stupid to just rehash it.

If I were LEGO, I would just release a playful set for $300-400, with 10-15 minifigs and a detailed interior. If they are smart, they release  EPVII and Han Solo movie expansion packs for it that are also good standalone sets. Going higher would not make sense because it would eat away space from the DS, and we don't have a large SW set in the $300-400 range with the Sandcrawler going away. It would be logical to fill that gap with a money maker. This would be a genuine cash cow, maybe with a top that can be removed as a lid, not like the ugly petal type method of the smaller MF versions. 

This is the 100% truth.  

The original 10179 was a dog at retail...and I love dogs.  Discounted multiple times, the set sat around on Amazon for months after it disappeared from LEGO Shop @ Home.  Fast forward to today and a year or so from now, if people think the rumored new one will perform like the old one, they are crazy.  A $500 set is a hard sell to the regular LEGO fan.  People who pay $5000 for a pristine 10179 are not your regular LEGO fans.  To assume sales would be off the hook for an identical remake at $500+ because of the 10179 is questionable.  The people who have a 10179 are the primary buyers of a new one, so why spend $500 on a set they already have..like the 10188/75159 situation?  Plus, a 10179 clone would not be $500...it would be more.

But after the 10188 debacle, assume an exact clone...so sell all of your 10179s now!  LOL

26 minutes ago, inversion said:

I completely agree but I've been told:

- Biggest ever set

- Most expensive ever set

- Late summer release

So I can imagine it will be the same size as 10179 but with more detail. 

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

This is the 100% truth.  

The original 10179 was a dog at retail...and I love dogs.  Discounted multiple times, the set sat around on Amazon for months after it disappeared from LEGO Shop @ Home.  Fast forward to today and a year or so from now, if people think the rumored new one will perform like the old one, they are crazy.  A $500 set is a hard sell to the regular LEGO fan.  People who pay $5000 for a pristine 10179 are not your regular LEGO fans.  To assume sales would be off the hook for an identical remake at $500+ because of the 10179 is questionable.  The people who have a 10179 are the primary buyers of a new one, so why spend $500 on a set they already have..like the 10188/75159 situation?  Plus, a 10179 would not be $500...it would be more.

The only argument against this is that with the new Han Solo film and the Falcon still playing a prominent role in the new Trilogy, you have many many more fans looking to spend money on Star wars than you did 5-10 years ago when the franchise was "dormant" (or as dormant as Star Wars will ever be in our lifetimes).  I think this time around an identical set will sell a lot better.  I'm sure Lego has their own data to back this up.