Star Wars 2017

fossilrock

Star Wars: Winter Wave sets.

LEGO Star Wars 75176 - €39.99 - (£29.99, $29.99) - Resistance Transport Pod
LEGO Star Wars 75177 - €59.99 - (£54.99, $49.99) - First Order Heavy Scout Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75179 - €79.99 - (£74.99, $79.99) - Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter
LEGO Star Wars 75187 - €99.99 - (£84.99, $99.99) - UCS BB-8
LEGO Star Wars 75188 - €109.99 - (£99.99, $109.99) - Resistance Bomber
LEGO Star Wars 75189 - €139.99 - (£129.99, $149.99)  - Heavy Assault Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75190 - €149.99 - (£139.99, $159.99)  -The Finalizer : First Order Star Destroyer

LEGO Star Wars 75526 - €19.99 - (£14.99, $19.99)  - Elite TIE Fighter Pilot
LEGO Star Wars 75528 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Rey
LEGO Star Wars 75529 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Elite Praetorian Guard
LEGO Star Wars 75530 - €34.99 - (£29.99, $34.99) - Chewbacca

Edited by jaisonline
updated w/ more info
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

I completely agree but I've been told:

- Biggest ever set

- Most expensive ever set

- Late summer release

So I can imagine it will be the same size as 10179 but with more detail. 

I hope it's a $1000.00, 10,000 piece set.  If you are going to do it..do it right!

• Like 3

If someone still has multiple new, sealed 10179's and they haven't sold yet, they obviously don't need the money from selling it so they are not going to just dump them now and cause prices to fall.

Hardcore "must have it" collectors will still pay top dollar for new MISB 10179's just to have it in their collection.

MISB prices will remain high, sales will just slow.

Prices for used 10179's (and sellers charging outrageous premiums for the rare 10179 parts) will suffer because those buyers are more casual fans who just want a UCS-type display MF and the new release should satisfy that need. The current MF's are terrible as a "display" model and that's a function of their required low piece/price point.

Edited by grackleflint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

The only argument against this is that with the new Han Solo film and the Falcon still playing a prominent role in the new Trilogy, you have many many more fans looking to spend money on Star wars than you did 5-10 years ago when the franchise was "dormant" (or as dormant as Star Wars will ever be in our lifetimes).  I think this time around an identical set will sell a lot better.  I'm sure Lego has their own data to back this up.

Of course it will sell better.  That's not hard to do.  Everyone will think they have a gold mine. Inversion's point was that bigger might not always be better with relation to sales and most of all...profits.  Big sets are costly to produce and ship and the potential buyer's pool is much smaller.

5 minutes ago, inversion said:

10188 and 10179 had $100 difference. By those standards, a perfect rehash or improvement would be $600(+). GBHQ is $400, and the set I envisioned would cost the same or slightly less. I don't see your point.

The point is that people who can afford and are willing to pay 300 for a bunch of ABS plastic can also afford and  be willing to pay 400, 500, 600 or upwards.

If you can buy a Porsche you don´t start querying the prices in the options list.

Edited by Val-E

10 minutes ago, grackleflint said:

Hardcore "must have it" collectors will still pay top dollar for new MISB 10179's just to have it in their collection.

MISB prices will remain high, sales will just slow.

Prices for used 10179's (and sellers charging outrageous premiums for the rare 10179 parts) will suffer because those buyers are more casual fans who just want a UCS-type display MF and the new release should satisfy that need. The current MF's are terrible as a "display" model and that's a function of their required low piece/price point.

Yes, some will still pay top dollar - except top dollar after a re-release would likely be less than half.

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The point is that people who can afford and are willing to pay 300 for a bunch of ABS plastic can also afford and  be willing to pay 400, 500, 600 or upwards.

If you can buy a Porsche you don´t start querying the prices in the options list.

Yes, they can.  Inversion's point was not about who can afford what, but where is the sales "sweet spot" for LEGO.  A $400, 4000 piece Falcon might sell better and make LEGO more money than a $600+, 5000+ piece set.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I can't see this being a playset, that would mean they would likely have 2 €500 plus Star Wars playsets out at the same time, there's only so many people who will pay that kind of ridiculous price for a kids toy. I think it's more likely to be aimed at AFOLs. 

This set will target Afol. Kids get smaller SW playsets. Debacle of hoth is proof enough. And for Afol, price doesn t matter (as much) as long as it s good value perceived...

1 hour ago, Lego Templar said:

And you guys thought I was crazy when I said that was foreshadowing a UCS falcon! Lol

you still are.

Lego often uses faded / blacked out / blurry / translucent images of familiar items in the background of a box front to give the illusion of an action packed image, without accidentally tricking the customer into thinking a Millennium Falcon is contained within the box. 

If the Falcon was available today that image would still be blacked out. There is no correlation.

on a side note, i found a view of the new Falcon interior. Looks "Retro", but i like it.

06e529e141254d289315eae4a2fafdf0.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I did not realize Luke had yellow lightsaber.  I thought yellow was only found in KotOR video games and comics  

Per TheForce.net:

Luke's saber in many of the early promotional paintings is also either pure white or golden yellow. This is best explained by the fact that Lucas did not initially envision the sabers as colored/animated/rotoscoped; he had planned to do the swords as a practical effect, with those whirling, metal-coated rods delivering the luminous effect. When that didn't work out as well as hoped, he decided to animate them, and at that point, in post-production when the majority of the posters and promotional materials had already been produced, gave them their color.

It can be concluded with reasonable certainty that the Kenner toy designers were working with the promotional materials when they gave Luke his yellow lightsaber. Although the film was out in theaters at the time the designers were working, they either a) did not see the film and only worked with the promotional materials given to them, or B) saw the film and decided to adhere to the promotional material golden saber instead, out of a specific design aesthetic (given that Kenner Luke's hair is the exact same yellow color, and his tan pants match as well).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

This is the 100% truth.  

The original 10179 was a dog at retail...and I love dogs.  Discounted multiple times, the set sat around on Amazon for months after it disappeared from LEGO Shop @ Home.  Fast forward to today and a year or so from now, if people think the rumored new one will perform like the old one, they are crazy.  A $500 set is a hard sell to the regular LEGO fan.  People who pay $5000 for a pristine 10179 are not your regular LEGO fans.  To assume sales would be off the hook for an identical remake at $500+ because of the 10179 is questionable.  The people who have a 10179 are the primary buyers of a new one, so why spend $500 on a set they already have..like the 10188/75159 situation?  Plus, a 10179 clone would not be $500...it would be more.

But after the 10188 debacle, assume an exact clone...so sell all of your 10179s now!  LOL

The original 10179 was definitely a "dog" at retail.  And from a resale standpoint it was viewed initially as a failure as well.  No one wanted to store it.  It was all grey bricks.  And there was no precedent at the time.  As someone who was buying and selling Lego's on the secondary market when this came out, no one wanted to buy it.  The highest selling set at the time of it's release was the original UCS X-wing and it was going for around $600 New in Box.  So no one thought that a $500 dollar set would ever soar.  I didn't.  I bought Clone Turbo Tanks, UCS Y-Wings, UCS Snow Speeders, RGS, etc.  Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I going to store a box that big, with the hope that someone would be willing to even pay $750 for it.  The vast majority of it's lifespan it was discounted to $400 just to get them off the shelf.

I will argue against the idea that the primary buyers of the a new one, are the people who already own it.  The market for a $5000 dollar collectible versus a $500 dollar collectible IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  There are a TON of people out there willing to pay $500 for something, but REFUSE to pay the secondary market price for an item.  Almost NO parent will buy a $5,000 dollar toy for their kid, but there are MANY that will definitely spend $500 for a christmas or birthday present.  When 10179 was released the first time, the Lego market was nothing like what it is today.  Back then there was a tiny AFOL market, and even less reseller's.  Today there is a HUGE AFOL market, and even more reseller's.  If they were to release 10179, while many reseller's like us would avoid it for a long time, if not avoid it all together, there is a HUGE market of people who would want a 10179 not to resell, but to actually build and own.  Would the sales be "off the hook?"  Not too likely at $500, but they would definitely be healthy enough in the current Lego market to sustain sales for many years to come. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

I will argue against the idea that the primary buyers of the a new one, are the people who already own it.  The market for a $5000 dollar collectible versus a $500 dollar collectible IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  There are a TON of people out there willing to pay $500 for something, but REFUSE to pay the secondary market price for an item. 

I agree. I'd buy a new amazing falcon at up to 800 probably, but won't pay 2500-500 for the original.

Maybe after a couple more promotions, but not soon :) 

8 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

The original 10179 was definitely a "dog" at retail.  And from a resale standpoint it was viewed initially as a failure as well.  No one wanted to store it.  It was all grey bricks.  And there was no precedent at the time.  As someone who was buying and selling Lego's on the secondary market when this came out, no one wanted to buy it.  The highest selling set at the time of it's release was the original UCS X-wing and it was going for around $600 New in Box.  So no one thought that a $500 dollar set would ever soar.  I didn't.  I bought Clone Turbo Tanks, UCS Y-Wings, UCS Snow Speeders, RGS, etc.  Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I going to store a box that big, with the hope that someone would be willing to even pay $750 for it.  The vast majority of it's lifespan it was discounted to $400 just to get them off the shelf.

I will argue against the idea that the primary buyers of the a new one, are the people who already own it.  The market for a $5000 dollar collectible versus a $500 dollar collectible IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  There are a TON of people out there willing to pay $500 for something, but REFUSE to pay the secondary market price for an item.  Almost NO parent will buy a $5,000 dollar toy for their kid, but there are MANY that will definitely spend $500 for a christmas or birthday present.  When 10179 was released the first time, the Lego market was nothing like what it is today.  Back then there was a tiny AFOL market, and even less reseller's.  Today there is a HUGE AFOL market, and even more reseller's.  If they were to release 10179, while many reseller's like us would avoid it for a long time, if not avoid it all together, there is a HUGE market of people who would want a 10179 not to resell, but to actually build and own.  Would the sales be "off the hook?"  Not too likely at $500, but they would definitely be healthy enough in the current Lego market to sustain sales for many years to come. 

Yes, everything has changed.  A similar new UCS Falcon will out sell the old one.  No one is really questioning that.  I think the point I am trying to get across is whether or not LEGO would be better served selling a smaller, less detailed and cheaper set to more people.  I think the 75159 is an experiment for LEGO.  If that sells, don't look for much change in a new UCS Falcon.

• Like 1

for all questions about the various Kenner lightsaber mistakes (that Lego got correct ? ) , look no further than...

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I did not realize Luke had yellow lightsaber.  I thought yellow was only found in KotOR video games and comics  

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

Per TheForce.net:

Luke's saber in many of the early promotional paintings is also either pure white or golden yellow. This is best explained by the fact that Lucas did not initially envision the sabers as colored/animated/rotoscoped; he had planned to do the swords as a practical effect, with those whirling, metal-coated rods delivering the luminous effect. When that didn't work out as well as hoped, he decided to animate them, and at that point, in post-production when the majority of the posters and promotional materials had already been produced, gave them their color.

It can be concluded with reasonable certainty that the Kenner toy designers were working with the promotional materials when they gave Luke his yellow lightsaber. Although the film was out in theaters at the time the designers were working, they either a) did not see the film and only worked with the promotional materials given to them, or B) saw the film and decided to adhere to the promotional material golden saber instead, out of a specific design aesthetic (given that Kenner Luke's hair is the exact same yellow color, and his tan pants match as well).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes, everything has changed.  A similar new UCS Falcon will out sell the old one.  No one is really questioning that.  I think the point I am trying to get across is whether or not LEGO would be better served selling a smaller, less detailed and cheaper set to more people.  I think the 75159 is an experiment for LEGO.  If that sells, don't look for much change in a new UCS Falcon.

75105 does that job perfectly. A big UCS set needs to be far better or we go into 10248 Ferrari F40 disappointment territory.

You SW people are a tough audience to please - too big and expensive is bad, too small part count is also bad (red 5), too many separate components cobbled together like Hoth, bad.

In any case, Lepin will cater for the folk in between by cloning the big one at the small one´s price. Sad times.

Edited by Val-E

20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

75105 does that job perfectly. A big UCS set needs to be far better or we go into 10248 Ferrari F40 disappointment territory.

You SW people are a tough audience to please - too big and expensive is bad, too small part count is also bad (red 5), too many separate components cobbled together like Hoth, bad.

In any case, Lepin will cater for the folk in between by cloning the big one at the small one´s price. Sad times.

I built 10248 over christmas and have it sat next to me right now, and I really like it, love looking at it from various angles and enjoyed the build. Not saying a larger scale one wouldn't be great though, but that wouldn't sit on my desk with 75105 and 10242.

Edited by blocp13