Star Wars 2017

fossilrock

Star Wars: Winter Wave sets.

LEGO Star Wars 75176 - €39.99 - (£29.99, $29.99) - Resistance Transport Pod
LEGO Star Wars 75177 - €59.99 - (£54.99, $49.99) - First Order Heavy Scout Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75179 - €79.99 - (£74.99, $79.99) - Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter
LEGO Star Wars 75187 - €99.99 - (£84.99, $99.99) - UCS BB-8
LEGO Star Wars 75188 - €109.99 - (£99.99, $109.99) - Resistance Bomber
LEGO Star Wars 75189 - €139.99 - (£129.99, $149.99)  - Heavy Assault Walker
LEGO Star Wars 75190 - €149.99 - (£139.99, $159.99)  -The Finalizer : First Order Star Destroyer

LEGO Star Wars 75526 - €19.99 - (£14.99, $19.99)  - Elite TIE Fighter Pilot
LEGO Star Wars 75528 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Rey
LEGO Star Wars 75529 - €24.99 - (£19.99, $24.99) - Elite Praetorian Guard
LEGO Star Wars 75530 - €34.99 - (£29.99, $34.99) - Chewbacca

Edited by jaisonline
updated w/ more info
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I heard about that, quite a brawl apparently with people being stabbed. That's a bit extreme as it's only LEGO ;-)

Since there can only be one original first edition UCS MF, I don't think the new one will ever catch up. LEGO investing is now reaching saturation point so don't pin your hopes too high on the new one. I reckon it'll peak at 1.5x RRP tops say, £1000. Nobody will ever pay £2000 as an even newer/better one will be released by then.

You said stabbed???

Assault on Hoth is Sold Out on Lego.com....  I hadn't bought this one yet, so just grabbed it off Amazon...  Traditonally if they discount it on a force friday or may the 4th sale, it tends to be on the retirement chopping block, so i'm going to assume this one could be potentially retired soon.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Assault on Hoth is Sold Out on Lego.com....  I hadn't bought this one yet, so just grabbed it off Amazon...  Traditonally if they discount it on a force friday or may the 4th sale, it tends to be on the retirement chopping block, so i'm going to assume this one could be potentially retired soon.

smart choice,  18 month run time might even make the haters forget they hate it.  

haters.gif

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

just snagged my first 2  - thanks.

hope this isn't one of TLG's tricks to limit purchasing during a sale...

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

I think with the UCS Snowspeeder and UCS MF that pretty much says the Tie and AOH are goners.  No way do they take out the Slave 1 just yet.

My bet it on AOH sticking around for a while yet. While the UCS Tie is currently listed as "sold out", Hoth is marked at "out of stock".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far I'm liking BB-8 (day one purchase for LEGO store bonuses).  I also had my eye on the new Walker and Star Destroyer.  After seeing a display at a local TRU of both of those, I felt like the Walker was undersized compared to prior builds.  The Star Destroyer definitely seems to be the winner (IMHO) between the two.

23 hours ago, Halfrig said:

So far I'm liking BB-8 (day one purchase for LEGO store bonuses).  I also had my eye on the new Walker and Star Destroyer.  After seeing a display at a local TRU of both of those, I felt like the Walker was undersized compared to prior builds.  The Star Destroyer definitely seems to be the winner (IMHO) between the two.

I liked the Kylo Ren TIE. It's like his shuttle combined with an interceptor

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, 2017 is wrapping up...

As we sail into 2018 and a whole new slough of sets are on the way, let's take a look at the potential retirement of current sets still available before Black Friday hits, and what they could bring us in 2018 and beyond.  Here's what I speculate.

#22 - 75145 Eclipse Fighter™ & 75147 StarScavenger™ - I'm grouping these two sets together because I just don't think the Star Wars Lego TV show is very good, or memorable and these will be sets that you mostly part out.. I might be wrong...but invest lightly.

#21 - 75131 Resistance Trooper Battle Pack, & 75132 First Order Battle Pack.  Both of these battle packs have been out too long.  The new First Order battle pack provides more stormtroopers, so they are no longer a selling point.  The unique First Order officer and the gunner is in too many other sets, although it is good to have an army of cheap stormtroopers and this set provides that.  The Resistance Battle Pack has unique troopers, but they are too generic and not based on any characters.  Tread lightly on these, unless you are building a giant moc then buy lots because these have been cheap for a while.

#20 - Encounter on Jakku - I like this as a set, but don't think it will make a great investment.  Unkar Plutt is an ok character, and Teedo and his luggbeast are perhaps the best thing from this set.  It might be a surprise investment, but playsets by and large are not that great.  This one will have had a year and a half shelf life, which isn't bad, but I think the best thing for this one is to part it out, and make as much money as you can off the luggabeast and teedo.  For completists, this is one of those Force Awakens sets you buy last (like the Jakku Quadjumper).

#19 - Microfighters Series 3 - 75125 Resistance X-Wing Fighter™, 75126 First Order Snowspeeder™, 75128 TIE Advanced Prototype™& 75129 Wookiee™ Gunship - All of these wave 3 microfighters are kinda weak and they have been on the shelves too long.  I don't think these have the legs that series 1 & 2 have, however I do have higher hopes for Series 4 since they were only on the shelves for a year, compared to this wave.

#18 - 75164 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack... It's Rouge One, but it's the weakest Rogue One set out of the lineup.  Not sure these troopers will be worth much down the line, and more than likely this set won't go over 20.00 any time in the next few years.  If I find these at discount for 5.00 at a clearance, I might scoop them up, but otherwise i'd pass.

#17 - 75101 First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter™ - Not sold that these will do very well.  They have been out for a long time period, and tie fighters are a mixed bag.  I'm not sure this will be a set in large demand as time goes on.  

#16 - 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle™ - This set is below average in my opinion.  While the set itself is an awesome build, and has a good variety of minifigures, I don't know if that will hold this one as a good investment.  This set has been discounted at 30 to 40% off for months, and it mostly sits on the shelves.  This is one you buy low, hold and see where it goes but don't put much faith in it.  The ship that Kylo flies in the Last Jedi is much much cooler.  

#15 Phantom - Rebels set with THRAWN.  Worth buying just for Thrawn.  Not worth buying a ton of though.

#14 - 75171 Battle on Scarif - As the typical 40.00 playset based on a world, and in the line of Battle on Takodana, Encounter on Jakku, and Duel on Geonosis, this is one of the best playsets.   I think the minifigures of the Scarif Battle troopers have a big fan base too.  I notice they go for a good price on ebay, bricklink and they will only go up in value as time goes on if they aren't made again in a while.  It also has exclusives of Jyn and Cassian.  If you have the space, I'd buy some of these as an investment just to make some money down the line.  Less than a year shelf life (came out in may) and that to me says in a few years it will be that set either people will want, and there won't be as many around.

#13 - 75154 TIE Striker™ - This is a cool ship, and and interesting build..  I just don't know if it's worth it as an investment unless you landed these for half off and hold them for 2 years.  Then maybe you can triple your half-off buy-in.  And that's a big if.  The scarif trooper in this set will be a $ maker.

#12 - 75105 Millennium Falcon™ - This goes up many notches if the largest set in the Han Solo movie is not another Millennium Falcon.  If it's the same thing but with a different radar dish and some minifigures, then I suspect this set won't be rising in much value.  It's hardly on discount, and it just will stay hovering at a price point that won't make it much of a winner.  You might squeak 20.00 out of this one in 2 to 3 years, but if there are other falcons out there, good luck.  Only the minis will have some value, and at this point only Han Solo's head is exclusive to this set along with Tasu Leech and his Gang member.  Overall tread lightly with caution.  

#11 - Microfighters Wave 4 - 75162 Y-Wing™ Microfighter, & 75163 Krennic's Imperial Shuttle™ Microfighter - Looks like 2 of the 4 Wave 4 microfighters are going to retire.  I think both will be good buys, and worth having.  If you have the entire Rogue One collection, you can add diversity to your larger U-wing, or Y-wing by switching out the pilots, plus add Krennics pilot to Krennic's shuttle.  The minifigures will add value to these sets just for their unique pieces.

#10 - 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack - My 2 cents - the Scarif Stormtroopers are more popular than the Deathtrooper, but the Deathtrooper isn't far behind.  Although, the Deathtroopers in Krennic's imperial shuttle will be the ones that are the better variants.  However, this set compliments Krennic's ship and if you want an army of Stormtroopers to go with your Rogue One sets, I think this is a battle pack worth buying quite a few of.  In fact, when I look back at all the battle packs since 2012 I rank this one 2nd (only the Bounty Hunters that is currently out beats it). .. but as a battle pack, it's great.  The only downside is that the variant of this stormtrooper has appeared in a few other sets (the ISD, Y-wing, and advent calendars).  But the Deathtroopers will have legs.

#9 UCS Tie Fighter - This set just doesn't seem to have a major fan base.  It just doesn't sell very well and a lot of us have scooped these up at discounts.  I'm not so sold on this but I might be surprised.  This could do better than the red 5 just because there aren't as many out there, but last years Sandcrawler is crawling out of the gates, so i'm not sure this one will be much of a winner.  It might stick at around 240.00 by the end of next year and stay there for a while.  I'm not sure why tie fighters are not as in demand once they hit their EOL, but I expect the same to happen to this one.

#8 - 75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank™ -  This one is a crap shoot.  It's got a unique Imperial vehicle that is new to the Star Wars universe.  Anytime there is something new that is well made, I think it could have some legs.  I also like the minifigure selection.  The Chirrut figure will be $ as time goes on.  Not sure what to think about this one.  Kind of reminds me of potentially being like General Grievous Wheel Bike.  A set everyone kind of neglected but if you bought in (at current prices around 20) you will smile in 2 to 3 years when you are flipping your stash.

#7 - 75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter™ and 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter™ - I'm grouping these two together.  I think both have some potential, because they are x-wings.  However, I do think we will see another x-wing of some sort down the line (I wouldn't be shocked to see a red 5 in the summer wave)..  Poe's black pumpkin wing also looks like it gets blown up in the movie and it sounds like he flies a bomber and sandspeeder in the movie.  The star wars universe might be moving on from x-wings from this trilogy.  Tough to say.  I will always see the Black Pumpkin wing as the cheap ripoff to Luke's red 5 when it destroyed Star Killer base with such ease... so it's not iconic, nor should it be.

#6 - Clone Turbo Tank - This is a tough one.  I personally like this set, and think it's a great technical build and really interesting.  But there is a better version of this out, and so this is kind of it's little brother.  However, it has Jedi minifigures, and those tend to be gold and I think we won't get either Luminara or Quinlan Vos for a long time.  Those two figures will easily be worth 20 to 30.00 in a few years and it will increase the value of this set.  Right now, Lego is leaking out Jedi's from the prequels one set at a time, but it's a slow leak that I don't think will come around again for a while.  This Turbo Tank will more than likely not be made again for a long while.  

#5 - 75155 Rebel U-Wing Fighter™ - What I like most about this is how short its shelflife was.  That alone should make it a rarer set in the future.  This one is a crap shoot.  I think it can go either way... but I think because of that it's worth putting it in the top.  This is a set that either goes near 4x or hovers near 2.  I really like the Minifigure selection.  The build of the ship itself is great, and fun, but I wish the transport area was larger.  Overall this ship could be improved on, but hopefully if it ever is improved on it's done as a UCS set.

#4 - 75137 Carbon-Freezing Chamber - I debated on putting this at #6, or even #5, but think it will perform better % wise than the other two.  This could appear in the rumored UCS Cloud City set that could appear late next year, or it could be a compliment to that set and at that point it will be retired (at-at, and attack on hoth meets assault on hoth)

#3 - Assault on Hoth - ok, quit tossing tomatoes, but when a UCS set only lasts about a year and a half on the shelves and it's based on one of the most iconic films of all time.  Buy it.  Ewok Village is doing a decent job of moving up as time goes on.  Hoth sets ALWAYS go up, as there are few that ever do.  I know this set is universally hated, but that will make it a sleeper when 5 years from now they haven't made many hoth sets and few of these sit out there MIB.

#2 - 75153 AT-ST™ Walker - I freaking love this set.  It's cheap to accumulate many of, and will probably be hoarded, but I'm all in on this one from Rogue One.  It's such a well done set, and very cool to display.  1 year shelf life... 

#1 - 75156 Krennics Imperial Shuttle  - This is by far the best set that is retiring, IMO.  The minfigures are freaking stellar (some of the best selection of minis ever put in a set), and I really like this set as a build, and think it will perform very well over time.  I also don't see them making this one again in a long time.  This is the new age equivalent of a republic gunship/at-te from 2013.

• Like 6