70006 - Cragger's Command Ship

Legodog

Very tempting. However, I am wondering if Chima sets are not doing well, so various Chima sets are already on discount?

I've seen almost every set at some point be discounted, so I'm not sure that that is a sign that Chima is going to flop - haven't they only aired one episode as of yet? That being said, as much as my investor brain wants to give these a go, my investor heart has to save limited funds for themes I'd much rather have.

It is certainly possible that it is not doing well. The first TV show was last night and the crocodiles are kinda the bad people. Personally this set doesn't have a lot of appeal to me, but if someone wants to do army vehicles the olive green bricks should be great! I'll be asking my Cub Scouts tonight when I meet with them how they liked the show! I looked this up on ebay at the most recent sales and the minifigures alone are worth more than $60. What I am going to do is similar to cost averaging stocks. Since this is a new theme and set I bought one at 28% off plus 3% off using my Amazon credit card. If it is cheaper later then I will also buy one at the cheaper price then. In the stock market if you like a stock at a certain price you purchase it. If it goes lower and you still like it you buy more - look up 'dollar cost averaging' to see how it works. You never get the lowest cost for all your purchases, but you likely end up with a lot of stock are a relatively low average cost. The other nice thing is you can always return it in 30 days if you find a better price or decide you don't want it.

It's really hard to tell. Are they discounting them because it isn't doing well or just because it is new? Overall I don't think they have been out long enough to know either way. Who knows, this could be a hot set at Christmas and it could be sold out everywhere and demand a nice price.

Every set gets discounted at some point...some early, some late. This 'might' be the only discount you will see with these sets. To say these sets are doing poorly, when they have just hit the shelves, has no basis in fact. LEGO has a lot of these sets planned and are pushing them. Take advantage while these deals are available. This set in particular is an awesome looking set, with unique colors and pieces. A winner in my book. PS: I heard the same discussions about Ninjago and people blew off the theme. They are sorry now...

I think it may be more of a "price per piece" issue. This set only has 609 pieces. When it debuted at $90 something we were looking at 15 cents per piece. That's way too high for an unproven line.

I don't believe PPP applies to this set. The set is a 'ship' with one large hull, a unique piece. One ship hull piece is equivalent to hundreds of smaller bricks. Also, the set has six minifigures.

How do you return item from Amazon? I remember seeing people just return the unopened package, does that work?

For Amazon you simply go into your orders and choose to return it. They do want to know why but they basically allow any reason. AND, Amazon pays for return postage! They will let you print out prepaid postage (UPS in my case).

I'm going to stick with the old saw "collect what you like". I like Ninjago and watched every episode with my son, in fact the whole family watched it. I think if you've got money to spend you should be getting one of several great sets that are about to go EOL (or have recently, but I'm not having any luck with that) and ignore this discount. Chima is just okay as a show, the sets are just horrible in my opinion. The minifigs are not very good representations of the characters on the show and the ship is uninspired. I'd buy any Ninjago set over these. Is it me, or do the colors look dark and muddy?

I'm going to stick with the old saw "collect what you like". I like Ninjago and watched every episode with my son, in fact the whole family watched it. I think if you've got money to spend you should be getting one of several great sets that are about to go EOL (or have recently, but I'm not having any luck with that) and ignore this discount.

Chima is just okay as a show, the sets are just horrible in my opinion. The minifigs are not very good representations of the characters on the show and the ship is uninspired. I'd buy any Ninjago set over these. Is it me, or do the colors look dark and muddy?

It's Olive green. ;-)

The main cool thing about this set is that right now you can easily sell all the minifigures on ebay at more than $60 PROFIT (after ebay/paypal/shipping costs). I looked at the three or four most recent ebay prices for each minifigure and the average price for the six minifigs that come with this set is a little over $15 each plus shipping. Laval is the main character and with his weapons he is going for around $20 ($17, 20.5, 29.95). Or you can turn it around the other way, the ship, without any minifigures and their weapons is going for about $51 right now without including shipping. So, $57.25 is not a bad price if you just want the minifigs and sell the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

These were on sale for about $56 @ Amazon a couple weeks ago. I picked up 1. Just not sure about investing in Chima yet. What I will tell you though is I went to Walmart, TRU and Target today and every place had kids gathered around the Chima stuff. They really seem to like it.