LEGO Set Reissues - open speculation

Snowspeeder is the next rehash.  Then i'd say UCS Millennium Falcon will be prime time for May the 4th 2018, which will be a few weeks before the Han Solo movie comes out in the theaters.

Other than that, I doubt they dip back into other long gone modular sets or Taj Mahal, etc.  I could see them eventually doing a better version of the Statue of Liberty, kind of like what they did with the Bug this year, but that's about the only long gone exclusive that I think screams for unretirement.  That set is now dated and UGGGGLY.

Edited by fossilrock

11 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I did read somewhere (can't recall where) that LEGO are going to place a "LEGO Again" shop on eBay where buyers can request any retired set and LEGO will supply it within 30 days at current RRP (allowing for inflation ) in a plain box. This alone will mean it's Game Over for LEGO investing. I'll do some digging to see if I can find out more about it.

I read that rumour too. But have dismissed it.

Edited by Scatterbug

Expect to see another Carousel, probably not to the scale of Grand Carousel, but something that would fit with the Mixer and Ferris wheel. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this next year. 
Expect to see another UCS star destroyer of some kind, Expect to see another UCS Falcon of some kind.  Next year is the 40th anniversary so expect something to coincide with that. 
Expect to see more repeats on the Christmas themes sets.  Maybe not the same level of cut and paste as Toy Shop, but definite repeats.  
Expect to see a haunted mansion, how close to HH who knows.  After Disney Castle, maybe we’ll see something on a similar scale.  (I actually thought the castle was going to be the haunted Mansion) 

Don’t expect see any direct remake of the older modular CC/GG,  the builds are out of date compared to the recent ones, but we may see sets that closely resemble them.  

And the one that feels most likely right now. POTC. It really wouldn’t surprise me to see BP and QAR released with minor updates/refreshes for the movies.  They’ve certainly hit a price point that makes sense, with the new movies there is a good license opportunity and there are no ships (other than basic city) on the market.

• Like 2

Expect to see another Carousel, probably not to the scale of Grand Carousel, but something that would fit with the Mixer and Ferris wheel. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this next year. 

Expect to see another UCS star destroyer of some kind, Expect to see another UCS Falcon of some kind.  Next year is the 40th anniversary so expect something to coincide with that. 

Expect to see more repeats on the Christmas themes sets.  Maybe not the same level of cut and paste as Toy Shop, but definite repeats.  

Expect to see a haunted mansion, how close to HH who knows.  After Disney Castle, maybe we’ll see something on a similar scale.  (I actually thought the castle was going to be the haunted Mansion) 

LOL. I thinking you're expecting a lot.

I agree with some of what @feed said.  I do believe, if Lego continues the fairgrounds theme (which honestly, they might, given the Friends Amusement Park subtheme), then I think some sort of carousel could happen.  It's got to be somewhere between the Winter Village Market carousel and the Grand Carousel.

I'm also a believer in another UCS Falcon.  I suppose another ISD is possible, too.  I don't see either of those affecting the vale of the originals, because it's been so long since their issue.  Unless they are 1:1 direct copies again.

I don't expect the Winter Village to get another set copy.  I think instead, the Toy Shop will probably be an evergreen set (available yearly).  There are enough ideas to keep going with the winter sets to not necessarily repeat.  Alternatively, maybe every third year would be a reissue (I don't see the Train as being a reissue, since it is a different design).  I'm thinking more along the lines of 2017 being something new (like a lodge), and 2018 being the second oldest set (Post Office?).

I'll keep my Disney thoughts to a Disney thread, since we're talking reissues here.

Perhaps, but I don’t think any of these are particularly controversial or out of step with what we’ve already seen.  Except POTC, of course.   

What I read is that you're thinking this could all happen next year. I agree that all of it could, absolutely. I just don't think all that next year makes sense to me. Two SW UCS in addition to the Snowspeeder UCS. I don't see it in 2017, maybe 2017/2018. And then another Disney big set. Sounds like a tall order to me. And then big another carnival set. I think it depends what's happening with the first two. I think it's telling that we didn't get one this year though. Don't get me wrong, I love the theme. But does the general public, is the question.

6 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

What I read is that you're thinking this could all happen next year. I agree that all of it could, absolutely. I just don't think all that next year makes sense to me. Two SW UCS in addition to the Snowspeeder UCS. I don't see it in 2017, maybe 2017/2018. And then another Disney big set. Sounds like a tall order to me. And then big another carnival set. I think it depends what's happening with the first two. I think it's telling that we didn't get one this year though. Don't get me wrong, I love the theme. But does the general public, is the question.

The only one I think will happen next year is POTC, and I could be way off on that one. The others:  
Carnival set within 18 months 
One big UCS refresh/remake: 18 months
Haunted Mansion: 2 years 
Christmas sets an ongoing trend

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rodeogeorge said:

Where is all this haunted mansion stuff from? Collective conscious?

People hopeful the Disney Castle is the first step into Disney Land/World sets, including one based on the Haunted Mansion attraction. 

...in other words, yeah, their imagination.

Any unwritten rules or understanding (regarding set production) that might have existed between LEGO, and its customers is over.

There is no set that is out of bounds. A retired status means nothing. An exclusive label means nothing.

Every rare/valuable set in someones collection is now at risk, and buyers/sellers will now know that that risk exists.

Sadly, I believe that the rules of the game have been drastically changed forever.

• Like 1