Hudson's Bay Lego - No seriously

jeff_14

I know, I know, "But Jeff" you may ask, "what does Hudson's Bay have to do with toys in general and lego in particular?" Before today I'd have asked much the same, but a funny thing happened the last few weeks. As I am wont to do, I was out for a midday work break stroll through ye olde PATH system in downtown Toronto which sometimes takes me through the bowels of the flagship Bay store. Walking past the luggage area a couple of weeks ago I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover a sizeable amount of retail wall space completely empty with nothing but white shelves. What could this be I asked, wondering if Saks was just getting on with the inevitable and devouring the Bay from the inside out. Then I saw a sign, literally, which said "Toys". Immediately I thought, what are the chances that any of this will be for Lego, thinking back over recent Christmas seasons when the stores would have a handful of random lego sets and other toys scattered on tables in random places like ladies lingerie and power tools in one of the most bizarre retailing decisions I have ever seen. Well today we have the answer as I walked by this approx 75 foot long space only to find at least half of it looking like a Lego store with sets wall deep and price signs yet to be added and skids of Lego boxes still to be opened. So when I got back to my office I checked out their website and sure enough there is a very full selection of recent Lego sets on hand. Basically anything on their website was on this wall. City, Star Wars, Super-heroes, Nexo, Friends, Elves, Princess and Ninjago all to be had. 

We have a returned player in the game, at least until Christmas I'd imagine anyways, and as a token of my community goodwill I will post any sales related news I see from this location going forward over the course of my travels as in store deals are often the best and unadvertised. After I've indulged first of course. 

First the Eaton Centre Chapters dramatically revamped their toy section with a particular emphasis on Lego, and now this. I can only hope that this may be setting the groundwork for TRU to return to a downtown location and/or for Lego itself to add a store downtown. It's incredible to me with the rapid growth of the downtown area and all the families and parents either working or living here that there is not a proper toy store down here right now. My reselling would get infinitely easier (and more expensive upfront) if I could just walk 10 minutes to a TRU or Lego store to stock up.

Edited by jeff_14
  • Like 3

Just now, lobo1969 said:

Hudson's Bay used to have kick ass toy sections back in the day...

That was some time ago. Will be interesting to see what Sears' plans are. I used to live for their Christmas Wish catalogue but their present Lego offerings online are where I thought the Bay was at. They unveiled a new logo today, maybe they can put some minds on getting us Lego. 

On 9/5/2016 at 1:30 AM, Substored said:

keep us posted. Where in Canada are you Jeff?

I live in Scarborough and work on Bay Street, which is very handy for selling sets on Craigslist to hurried parents at work who appreciate around the block delivery. 

Got an email offer for Labour Day online shopping only to get 30% off "almost everything". Was too busy to look into the details and see whether it excluded Lego. Hopefully more deals like this will be emailed to me for my perusal. 

On 9/6/2016 at 6:53 AM, jeff_14 said:

I live in Scarborough and work on Bay Street, which is very handy for selling sets on Craigslist to hurried parents at work who appreciate around the block delivery. 

Got an email offer for Labour Day online shopping only to get 30% off "almost everything". Was too busy to look into the details and see whether it excluded Lego. Hopefully more deals like this will be emailed to me for my perusal. 

nice.. ill have to check out my local bay here in Vancouver. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just popped by the Toronto flagship store and they have lots of the Rogue One toys, both lego and other. Managed to pick up one of each of the 6 inch Black Series figures for myself as well as an extra of each for resale in case these are hard to find this holiday season.

14 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Just popped by the Toronto flagship store and they have lots of the Rogue One toys, both lego and other. Managed to pick up one of each of the 6 inch Black Series figures for myself as well as an extra of each for resale in case these are hard to find this holiday season.

Any discount?

Nope, but based on my experience last year, I want my own figures locked down now and I'll take a chance on a few for resale at MSRP. I think Jyn Erso and the Death Trooper may well be scarce by Christmas. Timmy needs a Death Trooper to properly celebrate peace and goodwill among men. 

• Like 1

EXCLUSIONS:

WOMEN'S, SHOES, HANDBAGS, JEWELLERY & ACCESSORIES

10 CROSBY BY DEREK LAM, 3.1 PHILIP LIM, A PIECE APART, A.L.C., ADRIENNE LANDAU, AG JEANS, ALEX & ANI, ALEXANDER BIRMAN, ALICE & OLIVIA, ALO YOGA, ALOR, ANCIENT GREEK SANDALS, ANTONELLI, APL, AQUATALIA, ASH, ASSETS, B. TEMPT'D BY WACOAL, BIONDA CASTANA, BOSS HUGO BOSS, BURBERRY, CARTIER, CARVEN, CHEAP MONDAY, CITIZENS OF HUMANITY, CLARE V., CLOVER CANYON, CLU TOO, CO & CO, COACH, COCLICO, COLE HAAN, COLUMBIA, CURRENT ELLIOT, DANIEL WELLINGTON, DAV, DIANE VON FURSTENBERG, DIESEL, DOLCE VITA, DONALD J PLINER, DR. MARTENS, DVF, EACH X OTHER, EILEEN FISHER, ELEVENTY, ELIE TAHARI, EQUIPMENT, ETRE CECILE, FENDI, FILIPPA K, FITBIT, FOSSIL Q CONNECT, FREDA SALVADOR, FREE PEOPLE, FRYE, GERARD DAREL, GUCCI, GUESS CONNECT, HALSTON HERITAGE, HAMILTON, HANKY PANKY, HELLY HANSEN, HELMUT LANG, HORSES ATELIER, HUDSON JEANS, HUGO BOSS BLACK, HUNTER, ILLESTEVA, J BRAND, JACQUEMUS, JAMES PERSE, JEREMY SCOTT, JOE'S JEANS, JOHN & JENN, JOIE, JOSHUA SANDERS, JUDITH RIPKA, KAELEN, KARL LAGERFELD WATCHES, KATE SPADE, KENDALL & KYLIE, KLEINFELD, KNIXWEAR, KOOPLES, LE SPECS, LINDA RICHARDS, LINE, LOEFFLER RANDALL, LOLE, LONGINES, MAISON SCOTCH, MARC BY MARC JACOBS, MARC JACOBS, MARQUES ALMEIDA, MAX MARA WEEKEND & STUDIO, MELI MELO, MICHAEL KORS, MICHAEL MICHAEL KORS, MICHELE, MIH, MO&CO, MOOSEKNUCKLES, MSGM, N NICHOLAS, NEW BALANCE, NIC & ZOE, NIKE, NOT YOUR DAUGHTER'S JEANS, OPENING CEREMONY, PAIGE DENIM, PEDRO GARCIA, PHILIP STEIN, PINK TARTAN, POLO RALPH LAUREN, PRADA, PRISMSPORT, RADO, RAILS, RAYMOND WEIL, REDONE, REPETTO, ROLEX, RON WHITE, SAMSUNG, SANDRO, SANDRO/MAJE, SELECTED FEMME, SEVEN FOR ALL MANKIND, SOFT JOIE, SOPHIA WEBSTER, SOREL, SPANX, STATESIDE, STEVE MADDEN, STRUT-THIS, SUNDAY SOMEWHERE, SUNO, SWAROVSKI, T BY ALEXANDER WANG, TAG HEUER, TED BAKER, THE LAST CONSPIRACY, THE ROOM, THEORY, TIMBERLAND, TIMEX METROPOLITAN, TISSOT, TOM FORD SUNGLASSES, TOME, TFNC, TONI PLUS INC., TOPSHOP, TOTEME, UGG AUSTRALIA, UNDER ARMOUR, VICTORINOX, VINCE, WACOAL.

MEN'S

3.1 PHILLIP LIM, 55DSL, ADD, ADIDAS X RAF SIMONS, ADIDAS X RICK OWENS, AG JEANS, ALESSANDRO CANTARELLI, ALEXANDER WANG, ALLEGRI, ALLEN EDMONDS, ALTERNATIVE APPAREL, AMI, ANDREW MARC, APC, ARMANI JEANS, ATHLETIC PROPULSION LAB, BALMAIN, BAND OF OUTSIDERS, BATHER, BESPOKEN, BILLIONAIRE BOYS CLUB, BILLY REID, BLACKSTONE, BOSS BLACK, BOSS GREEN, BOSS ORANGE, BOSS RED, BOY LONDON, BUGATTI, CARVEN, CHEAP MONDAY, CHIPPEWA, CHURCH'S, CMFR, COACH, COLE HAAN, CONVERSE BY JOHN VARVATOS, COPPLEY, CRIMINAL DAMAGE, DBSW, DEFEND PARIS, DIESEL, DL, DL1961, DOM REBEL, DONALD J PLINER, DOOPSIE JOINT, DRIFTER, DUVETICA, ECCO, ELEVEN PARIS, ELEVENTY, ELVINE, ENGLISH LAUNDRY, FILIPPA K, FOSSIL, FRED PERRY, FRYE, GANT RUGGER, GENTS, GIORGIO ARMANI, G-STAR, G-STAR RAW, HELLY HANSEN, HERSCHEL SUPPLY CO., HIP & BONE, HORST, HUDSON, HUGO BOSS, HUNTER, IMPUNTURA, J BRAND, J.LINDEBERG, JACK PURCELL BY CONVERSE, JOHN VARVATOS STAR USA, JOHNSTON & MURPHY, JUNYA WATANABE, JW ANDERSON, KLAUSS BOEHLER, KOOPLES, KTZ, LACOSTE, LOAKE, MARC BY MARC JACOBS, MARKUS LUPFER, MARNI, MICHAEL KORS, MINIMUM, MOOSE KNUCKLES, MOSCHINO, MOSTLY HEARD RARELY SEEN, MSGM, N.21, NANA JUDY, NEW BALANCE, NIKE, NOBIS, NUDIE JEANS, OBEY, OLIVER SWEENEY, OLIVERSPENCER, O'NEIL, ONIA, OPENING CEREMONY, PATRIK ERVELL, PENFIELD, PHILIPP PLEIN, POLO RALPH LAUREN, POLO SPORT, PUBLISH, PURE BY BUGATTI, REASON, RED WING, RICHARD JAMES, ROBERT GRAHAM, ROGUE, RON WHITE, S&K, SAMUELSOHN, SANYO, SATURDAY SURF, SCOTCH & SODA, SEVEN FOR ALL MANKIND, SHADES OF GREY, SHIPLEY & HALMOS, SOIA AND KYO, SOREL, SOULLAND, STEVE MADDEN, STEVEN ALAN, STONE ROSE, STRELLSON, STUSSY, SUPERDRY, SURFACE TO AIR, SWEENEY LONDON, SWIMS, T BY ALEXANDER WANG, TED BAKER, TED BAKER PHORMAL, TEE LIBRARY, THEORY, TIGER OF SWEDEN, TODD SNYDERXCHAMPION, TOMBOLINI, TOPMAN, TOSCANO, UGG AUSTRALIA, UNCL, UNDER ARMOUR, VAN GILS, VERSACE, VICTORINOX, VINCE, VITALY, WOLVERINE, WOOYOUNGMI, WRK, ZANEROBE, ZEGNA, ZEGNA SPORT.

KIDS

ADD DOWN, ARMANI, BABY FEEDING, BABY TRAVEL & ACTIVITY, DIESEL, MOOSE KNUCKLERS, NURSERY, RALPH LAUREN CHILDRENSWEAR, UNDER ARMOUR, KIDS' TOYS.

HOME & LUGGAGE

KITCHENAID, APPLIANCE INSTALLATIONS, BBQ'S, BRICS, COFFEE PODS, DYSON, FRETTE, HEDGREN, HERSCHEL, JENN-AIR, JURA, KATE SPADE, KGB, LACOSTE, MAJOR APPLIANCES, MARIMEKKO, PARROT, RALPH LAUREN, SAECO, SAMSONITE BLACK LABEL, SAMSONITE BUSINESS, SAMSONITE S’CURE, SAMSONITE SILHOUETTE SPHERE 2, SFERRA, VICTORINOX, VITAMIX.
10% OFF PATIO, MATTRESS AND FURNITURE.

OTHER

ALL BEAUTY BRANDS, ACADEMIES CULINAIRE, AMOR, ARMANI, BELTONE, CANADIAN OLYMPIC RED MITTEN: RED MITTENS, SUNGLASSES, 2PC PIN SET, DRAKE GENERAL STORE, GENEVIEVE DOSTALER, GIFT CARDS, HBC FOUNDATION, HERMES, REISS, RILEY & MCCORMORICK, RMK, RUDSAK, SERPENTINA SILVER, SMCP, SQUISH, TENSPOT, UGLY DUKLING.

1 minute ago, gregpj said:

Ok, which one of you is buying underwear with their LEGO?
(this is what came up when looking at the U-Wing ... of course, their site doesn't work with Chrome, can't add to cart)

u-wing-and-undies.png

Sorry man, I crapped my pants and tighty whiteys when I saw the latest Imperial might.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Interestingly, Hudson's Bay is going to open stores in The Netherlands in 2017 / 2018. Even one in the city where I live. Hope they will also have a LEGO section here and compete with the almighty Blokker Group who own all the major Lego selling stores (Bart Smit, Intertoys, Blokker).

I read somewhere they also own Toys XL. Clean sweep.

On 10/4/2016 at 11:49 AM, seapotato said:

Any discount?

As it turns out they do have the cheapest price I've seen at $27.99 other than EB Games which does not have the same level of selection. The only Death Troopers I've been able to buy for resale were at Silver Snail and the Eaton Centre Indigo of all places. These cannot be found anywhere else in the core, I've looked. Can't be found at those places anymore either. :)