85 lb Kijiji Find - $550

tezakhiago

Yesterday I purchased a Kijiji lot that weighs about 85 lbs, for $550 CAD. This is only the 2nd bulk lego purchase I've made, the first being 14 lbs for $160 (included 2 minifigs that had a value of about $50 and a 95% complete Black Pearl).

The lot contains roughly 2 lbs of minifigures, maybe 300+ minifigs when fully assembled, the bulk of which are from Star Wars, Kingdoms, at least 2 Soccer sets worth, and a smattering of Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, City, and much older Space, Pirates, and Castle minifigs. I was able to fill a snack size ziploc with loose heads alone. There were several partially completed sets on top, including 6208, 7130, 6205, 7660, 4488, and 7661. The sails and a chunk of the outer wall for 6210 is there. There were also instructions for about 30 more sets (mostly small stuff). IF (and it's a big IF) all the sets I've identified so far are complete, they have an average used sale price of $1350, and I think I've just scratched the surface, because that number includes almost no Kingdoms sets, but I have at least 40 kingdoms minifigs.

That being said, I KNOW I'm missing a lot of the more valuable minifigs and some sets are not complete for sure. There's no Jabba, Lando, or Boba Fett for the sail barge, no Ten Numb for 6208, no pilot for the V-wing. I seem to have two soccer sets worth of minifigs but I have 8 of the 8 x 8 field sections (the most any set has is 4) and only 4 of the 8 x 16 sections (all sets have at least 8 ). I have the big piece of cloth from 6091 but no baseplate for it (I have no baseplates at all in this lot actually). 

So I guess I'm at a crossroads. I don't want to pour a huge chunk of time and money into this for no return, and I don't think I'm ready to move into the individual brick reseller game. I don't have the storage bins for this volume of lego on a more permanent basis (I was going to sort this all into ziplocs while I put the sets back together then find a more permanent solution down the road). I think I'm looking at two options:

1.  Pull out the sets I can find easily, try to complete them as best I can, and pull out a bunch of the more valuable minifigs. The rest of the lego I can sell off in smaller batches, say 5-10 lbs per batch and throw in a few minifigs. Someone in my area has consistently been getting $10/lb this way and I've seen them sell multiple batches.

2. Go all out. Sort, clean and then try to piece the sets back together. I can either bricklink enough pieces to just get the sets together and sell minifigs seperately, or spend several hundred dollars more and get all the minifigs as well. I'd probably be left with a big chunk of sorted, cleaned Lego which I can sell in bulk (after I pick out what I want to keep). Are resellers willing to pay a premium for sorted and cleaned bulk Lego?

Anyway that's my story, I can post a few pics if people are interested but I'm curious to see what the best value for my time here is. The quick flip or the long haul? 

Edited by tezakhiago

I've had bad experiences buying bulk on two separate occasions, and refuse to take that route again.  I wish I got back all the time I wasted on sorting, luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid, minus my time.  I did keep some of the nice pieces for my efforts though.

Yea I don't know if I'll do this again. I have a sneaking suspicion that the lot I bought was originally meant to be resold as well and the last guy just gave up. I'm more thinking I'll pull out what I can get easily and sell it individually and sell the rest of the Lego bulk on kijiji to get my money back.

On the bright side I just picked up a medieval market village that appears to be 100% complete for $30, in great shape. She even threw in about 10 LOTR mini figs and 2 baseplates as well! So I guess the question on that set is whether or not I sell it or keep it.

I might be interested in it in as-is condition (ie no pilfering of the "good stuff", I'd want it as complete as you got it). Just ship it to me and I'll pay you a bit more than you paid. Having already done 3 or 4 mid-size bulk lots quite successfully, and already having a surplus of those leftover parts, would give me a much higher fighting chance at completing sets. I sort of enjoy the sorting and then building of sets I'd never otherwise have owned.... it's a lot more work than most are willing to put in though. Tens and tens of hours at least. Would save you the headache of any sorting whatsoever and provide a quick little profit. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. 

Jealous of your MMV.... I just opened a built that the other day, my buy in was closer to $230 though :( 

Case by case basis really. If it's some small set like a battle pack, and I've got 3 of 4 figs, and the figs are commons, I'll spend the $2 and get the 4th, to be able to advertise "100% complete" when I list. 

For a different example though, I just picked up a lot including a 7785 Arkham Asylum, but it's missing the Nightwing, Riddler, and Scarecrow. Those are ~$60, ~$25, and ~$40 figs... no way I'm replacing them as it would destroy my margin. I do have the two guards, Poison Ivy, and Batman... So in this case, I'll probably sell as "Set 100% complete, No Figs", and then flip the figs individually. 

Sets do sell without figs, but they have to be priced fairly aggressively below the competition that are selling 100% complete kits, particularly if the figs hold a lot of the weight like the above example. Depending on the buy-in though, this can still net reasonable returns.