40222 - Holiday Countdown Calendar

Alpinemaps

New hi-res pic of the offer from the October 2016 LEGO Store Calendar:

29295721322_e944281e9f_o.jpg

I had speculated previously that it might be one of the regular advent calendars, but clearly, this is not.  Set number 40222.  It's a different set than any of the advents.

As the image says, it will be free with purchases of $99 or more from October 1-25, 2016.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Haay said:

This promo will be available in Europe between 23 October and 10 December with a minimum purchase price of 65 Euro.

Source: http://www.promobricks.de/lego-holiday-countdown-kalender-ab-65-euro-mindesteinkauf/20213

This coincides nicely with our Double VIP promo running between 14th and 31st October. :) 

Is double VIP for all eu sites?

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Looking forward to this as I think it'll sell for more than any Advent Calendar. But, no doubt the UK will enfore the one-per-town restriction!

I'm not sure it's going to have broad appeal.  I think regular advent prices will limit growth.  Why would I pay more than $30 for this when I can get the City advent with minifigures and builds that don't require me to take apart previous builds?  As a fan (and with a limited budget), I will save my money to load up on Revan and snow globes.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I'm not sure it's going to have broad appeal.  I think regular advent prices will limit growth.  Why would I pay more than $30 for this when I can get the City advent with minifigures and builds that don't require me to take apart previous builds?  As a fan (and with a limited budget), I will save my money to load up on Revan and snow globes.

Simple... it'll be rare as the horde won't be buying them by the googolplex. I also think the snow globe will be a winner. If I lived close enough to LEGO stores, I'll be making multiple visits to every one in multiple disguises and paying... cash!

6 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I do suspect the other advents, will limit this.  though I can still see it doing well if its fairly limited, and the early window should help with that.  I can also see it selling better closer to Christmas since its really just a bunch of christmas themed builds, and the calendar aspect is minor.

that being said 40223 will beat this easily, even if the market is flooded with them...

I have my pros and cons for this set. Pro: (depending on how you look at it) It doesn't really have a set theme like the other Advent Calendars...i.e. Star Wars, Friends, or City. Someone who doesn't really care for themed sets might just want the simplicity of just building little Lego builds. Con: The fact you need to build a new item for each day with the same pieces is a little drag since you can't display a little collection of all the builds. Pro: It's free. Con: Yeah not really since you have to spend $100 to get one. Con: no minifigs...boo. Pro: It doesn't seem specifically marked for 2016 so it can be a set used for any year. Con: See the previous which means lower collectible value.

Whatever your thoughts are on this set, I would venture to speculate that supply could possibly be a factor. Availability for over 3 weeks + double points month = more people buying and more calendars going out. Like it or not, if you want one I would recommend going early just in case.

• Like 1

It says "build and rebuild" and has 250 pieces. So I think that some items stay built from the beginning, whereas others start small and get rebuilt into something bigger towards the end. 250 pcs / 24 days ~ 10 pieces per build - most Advent Calendar minibuilds are also around that piece count.

On 26/09/2016 at 2:32 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Simple... it'll be rare as the horde won't be buying them by the googolplex. I also think the snow globe will be a winner. If I lived close enough to LEGO stores, I'll be making multiple visits to every one in multiple disguises and paying... cash!

Try the one at white city they are unable to keep track of customers coming in thanks to are good friends screaming children but another good place to hit if your able to is the one in Gateshead as they are discounted after Christmas and there are often loads left.

On 26. 9. 2016 at 0:27 PM, Haay said:

This promo will be available in Europe between 23 October and 10 December with a minimum purchase price of 65 Euro.

Source: http://www.promobricks.de/lego-holiday-countdown-kalender-ab-65-euro-mindesteinkauf/20213

This coincides nicely with our Double VIP promo running between 14th and 31st October. :) 

I am sad, because I hoped that we will have London bus and Xmas promo set together few days (since 1. Xmas set was usually from the middle of October)....

I am surprised that this promo will last so long - since in November should be another Xmas bonus set - snow globe. Or the snow globe will be after 10.12.? Too late...

Anyway, I dont like the advent set, too simple in comparsion with classic advent calendar. Cannot compete with last year promos...

The mini advent feels like $20 shipped on eBay, the snow globe should be more like $30-35. As others have said there are much better advent calendars available for $30-40 RRP, and those have Minifigures and better parts- so there's definitely a ceiling for this one. The mini advent has super common parts and little display value. Something that can add to someones winter/holiday display is always going to be a good seller - sadly no gingerbread house this year.

• Like 1

This will be available for retail purchase at $19.99 after the promo period.  Something to bear in mind...

Didn't know that. That's good to know.

I'm am unimpressed. I was going to pick it up but think I'll pass. I'm going to wait on picking up the Holdiay Train until Black Friday now.

Worth pulling the trigger and getting like 3 of these? From LEGO Shop at Home (all the rogue one sets would give me like 3-4) plus double points...hmmmmmmm

Why not. Try it out. You might be surprised this holiday season when the advents are nowhere to be found and these are the alternatives for a lesser going rate. They'll sell.