Black Friday 2016

MrToes16

15 minutes ago, Super Dad SC said:

What stores tend to have the best deals on Black Friday?

For the big classic boxes of bricks it's Walmart

Target tends to select 3-4 specific sets and move them on a pallet or end cap at a really nice price. 

Last year I picked up both deals online and didn't fight the masses.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

I don't recall any deals on the actual Lego site that were the same as the brick and mortar. I actually think there were store specific sales which is why I went in the morning. But I also think I went to make sure I got the promotional items as well.

Correct - LEGO B&M stores have sales - I recall last year it was 50% off on Pirate Chess and 50% off on The Ghost, plus a free DBX with an Airjitzu temple (though that promo ran longer I think). For those deals, you need to arrive early as they are first-come, first-serve. There might also be a limit (of 1 I think) on purchases.

Outside of those killer Walmart creative brick box deals and the occasional Target set (Bat Caves, Jek-14s, Bike shops) I've been a little underwhelmed by BlackFriday in terms of LEGO specific offerings.

I'll admit, I've never hit a LEGO brand store in person, so that may change my opinion, but there just doesn't seem to be anything that really tops what we saw in early August at Walmart for instance. No crazy deals like you see on electronics.

To each their own, but I'm just not going to go stand in line for 6 hours on Thanksgiving to save 20-30% on a City or Ninjago set at WM/KM/TRU, when I can get those deals most of the year without a ton of effort. I know @MrToes16 mentioned picking up AT-AT and ISD sets, but I'm thinking that was more luck than a widespread planned promotion, did anyone else encounter BF deals on those specifics sets?

2 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

Outside of those killer Walmart creative brick box deals and the occasional Target set (Bat Caves, Jek-14s, Bike shops) I've been a little underwhelmed by BlackFriday in terms of LEGO specific offerings.

I'll admit, I've never hit a LEGO brand store in person, so that may change my opinion, but there just doesn't seem to be anything that really tops what we saw in early August at Walmart for instance. No crazy deals like you see on electronics.

To each their own, but I'm just not going to go stand in line for 6 hours on Thanksgiving to save 20-30% on a City or Ninjago set at WM/KM/TRU, when I can get those deals most of the year without a ton of effort. I know @MrToes16 mentioned picking up AT-AT and ISD sets, but I'm thinking that was more luck than a widespread planned promotion, did anyone else encounter BF deals on those specifics sets?

I agree. Most of my good buys around the holidays have been during the few weeks leading up to Christmas. Black Friday itself has been a bust for me personally. Last year Shopko came through big time by running a bogo40 in conjunction with a 10% off Star Wars merchandise sale. On top of that they had $5 off $25 and $10 off $50 coupons that would stack. I was getting Rey's Speeders for just over $10 each after tax and Poe's for around $45. I'm hoping for something similar this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

50% off GS ;) 

the coast guard patrol boat and the UA ship were good buys at Tru last year with truth . Two years ago it was town square plus 10$ gc 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

I agree. Most of my good buys around the holidays have been during the few weeks leading up to Christmas. Black Friday itself has been a bust for me personally. Last year Shopko came through big time by running a bogo40 in conjunction with a 10% off Star Wars merchandise sale. On top of that they had $5 off $25 and $10 off $50 coupons that would stack. I was getting Rey's Speeders for just over $10 each after tax and Poe's for around $45. I'm hoping for something similar this year.

You were cleaning up at shopkos last year. Didn't you have like 50 Rey's Speeders pictured on your dining room table?

41 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

50% off GS ;) 

the coast guard patrol boat and the UA ship were good buys at Tru last year with truth . Two years ago it was town square plus 10$ gc 

The UA stuff was good last year. Was that BF only?

4 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

I know @MrToes16 mentioned picking up AT-AT and ISD sets, but I'm thinking that was more luck than a widespread planned promotion, 

I think you might be right. I didn't go to multiple Lego b&m but I didn't really see or hear of any deals like the ones I saw. Other notable deals that day was Hobbit lake town and battle of five armies for I think were similar 40% or more off. I even got 75050-1 B-wing for $28.

I think I read people talking about a free ninjago set (forgot which one) with purchase of temple of airjitzu. That might have probably been the only planned deal across stores. Maybe the rest were based on inventory and/or eol cycle for some sets?

i even found the pic we took that day with our bags

image.jpeg

Edited by MrToes16
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

I think I read people talking about a free ninjago set (forgot which one) with purchase of temple of airjitzu. That might have probably been the only planned deal across stores. Maybe the rest were based on inventory and/or eol cycle for some sets?

See top of the page :) :

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

Correct - LEGO B&M stores have sales - I recall last year it was 50% off on Pirate Chess and 50% off on The Ghost, plus a free DBX with an Airjitzu temple (though that promo ran longer I think). For those deals, you need to arrive early as they are first-come, first-serve. There might also be a limit (of 1 I think) on purchases.

My local Lego shop was surprisingly good last year.  I went on a whim and picked up several thousand dollars worth of sets.  The best part was the woman checking me out asked whether I wanted to break my transactions up so that I could get as many Gingerbread Houses as possible.  That was a pretty easy yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrToes16 said:

I think you might be right. I didn't go to multiple Lego b&m but I didn't really see or hear of any deals like the ones I saw. Other notable deals that day was Hobbit lake town and battle of five armies for I think were similar 40% or more off. I even got 75050-1 B-wing for $28.

Now if you're talking specific LEGO store Brick Friday Deals, LEGO will publish a rather large list of discounted sets (I'm thinking the night before, maybe 48 hours pre-event?) that @Jeff Mack typically publishes in the BF thread @Bold-Arrow discussed above. Typically the sets in-stock for LEGO Shop at Home deals are limited to about 20-25% discount. There are sets with deeper discounts of 30-50% that have limited in-store availability. That's probably what you encountered with your ISDs and AT-ATs. Another store might have been completely sold out of those sets, but had something different available for sale at 40%. 

I don't think there is any real way to pre-game for this unless you have a really good understanding of your local store's stock levels on Tuesday/Wednesday of BF week.

If you click the link below from last year's BF thread, you'll see the chart I'm referencing.

i even found the pic we took that day with our bags

image.jpeg

These pics can also be used if you decide to sell these on Craigslist. It seems to be a growing trend.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

You were cleaning up at shopkos last year. Didn't you have like 50 Rey's Speeders pictured on your dining room table?

Yes, sir. I'm expecting big things out of this set once retired, especially at a $10 buy in. Also, it was my poker table, although in my younger, single days it also doubled as my dining room table...lol.

image.jpeg

• Like 7