42042 - Crawler Crane

Kenxxx

42042 - Technic Crawler Crane - released in USA in Aug 2015; 1401 pcs, power functions included. RRP US$149.99. ToysRUs lists it as an "exclusive" but is widely available everywhere online.  Seems frequently discounted in the $115 - $126 range. Walmart.com has it now around $116 = 23% off (Sep 2016). Overshadowed by it's big brother in 2015 - the 42043 Mercedes AROCS - could this set take an early exit (or at least a "normal" 2-year exit) and be a big winner in 2018?  Worth picking up at $110? ... or better to wait for a better deal?

• Like 1

This set was really dissapointing build wise, I was expecting it to at least be able to pickup small items, but it cannot even lift a small coke can without struggling.

Investment wise I would personally avoid unless you live in UK/Europe as it seems like technic sets don't sell well in US. Also technic usually release their "yellow" construction vehicles every other year, and this set has not got much going for it, so I doubt it will do good once retired.

In UK this set has been at 25-30% since release, it was also one of the few sets that I noticed was part of the instore lego sale for 20%, and the sets that lego puts on sale instore are usually the ones to avoid.

That's my 2 cents lol

• Like 1

Got one for myself a couple of months back and it´s a good value set with plenty of useful parts. I don´t know if it will retire this winter or next but cranes are among the safer Technic models to invest in.

42000 and 42025 have not experienced good growth in Europe so buy-in is critical.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Technic performance is dismal in the UK. However, I've been selling 42000 Grand Prix Racers for around £100 each  but, I did get them for just £40 each - when LEGO had them at half price! If I bought them at RRP (£80), I'd have probably broken even after fees, postage & double-walled box. Buying Technic for me is 50% off or not at all.

@marcandre... Nice Tabby BTW!

Guest TabbyBoy
30 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Thanks, I always liked that picture of him. He passed away 2 years ago. Almost made it 14 years so pretty good run. He was a good boy =^.^=

So sorry. We still have ours, he's 11 years old, still going strong and always begging for food! Also we've another 2 cats. I'll never forget the time when they used a mint boxed R2-D2 as a scratching post 3 years ago. I had to sell it unboxed and lost £10 on the deal!

24 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

So sorry. We still have ours, he's 11 years old, still going strong and always begging for food! Also we've another 2 cats. I'll never forget the time when they used a mint boxed R2-D2 as a scratching post 3 years ago. I had to sell it unboxed and lost £10 on the deal!

And you have a go at Argos for being careless!

28 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

That is why I have no cat.

• 1 year later...

I have the opportunity to buy one of these for GBP 92 (retail 109?). Ebay prices, fwiw, showing 150+. Sounds like a good deal. My biggest question - new to the game - is that this set is from a small toy shop with the price sticker on the front. How do you deal with this? Leave it on, get threatened with reselling, attempt to take it off (if so, how?), not worry about it?  thanks!