TRU Bricktober 2016 Products, Events, and Gift With Purchase Items

Alpinemaps

what is everyone buying to satisfy their $50 spend.  I really struggle to find anything...  When it was 20% off City, I got 2 Advent Calendars and a small polybag per...  With 20% being on Friends, Ninjago, etc. or sometimes no 20% off any series at all, I just give up on the mini figures.

there was a local TRU that had a few $90 Chima discounted to $35 (Posted on "Deal or No Deal" thread).  Went to check out with those and some polybags and they said those don't apply for the free gift so I put them all back...

6 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

what is everyone buying to satisfy their $50 spend.  I really struggle to find anything...  When it was 20% off City, I got 2 Advent Calendars and a small polybag per...  With 20% being on Friends, Ninjago, etc. or sometimes no 20% off any series at all, I just give up on the mini figures.

there was a local TRU that had a few $90 Chima discounted to $35 (Posted on "Deal or No Deal" thread).  Went to check out with those and some polybags and they said those don't apply for the free gift so I put them all back...

Whatever 20% off RRP sets that I don't have in my collection yet. If none, then I get whatever small sets I think will be winners.

Edit: the polys should count in the system. Did you try this yesterday? I had error when checking out, management had to manually adjust free item to $0.01.

Edited by minicoopers11

59 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Whatever 20% off RRP sets that I don't have in my collection yet. If none, then I get whatever small sets I think will be winners.

Edit: the polys should count in the system. Did you try this yesterday? I had error when checking out, management had to manually adjust free item to $0.01.

The majority of the items, I do not have in my collection.

The 20% just doesn't do it for me at all...

I didn't want to load up on 10-11 FO Generals just to get my free gift...

1 hour ago, ichiroll said:

When it was 20% off City, I got 2 Advent Calendars and a small polybag per.

I did this same exact thing. I'm going to open one for my own fun and the other I'll save for a flip somewhere in time.

But yeah when the discounted themes are less than desirable, it's tough trying to make up the $50.

Last week, I wanted to get the promo by buying SW: Rebel Pilot polys that I found but the system said they couldn't be sold since they were supposed to go on sale later in the month. Luckily, the cashier got creative and scanned a First Order General poly several times instead.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

Last week, I wanted to get the promo by buying SW: Rebel Pilot polys that I found but the system said they couldn't be sold since they were supposed to go on sale later in the month. Luckily, the cashier got creative and scanned a First Order General poly several times instead.

she exact thing happened to me.  there were like a group of 3 associates so, they did the "right" thing and took them all away from me lol.

• Like 1

Who wants to join me on "Team This-Bricktober-Sucks"?

IIRC, there were limitless 20% off coupons last year, which made all the difference. Looking at my history. Last October I flipped 18 mini-modulars pocketing about $19 each after expenses, 9 Wall-E's brought in about $18 profit each, and 260 red-arm C-3PO's brought $720 profit. And all the buying brought in another $100 in Rewards.

This year, I feel lucky that I flipped 3 of these mini-figure packs for about $16 take-home, each. And the merchandise I bought looks like it will idle in my inventory for a long time. I'll probably be sitting out the rest of Bricktober.

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

IIRC, there were limitless 20% off coupons last year, which made all the difference. Looking at my history. Last October I flipped 18 mini-modulars pocketing about $19 each after expenses, 9 Wall-E's brought in about $18 profit each, and 260 red-arm C-3PO's brought $720 profit. And all the buying brought in another $100 in Rewards.

This year, I feel lucky that I flipped 3 of these mini-figure packs for about $16 take-home, each. And the merchandise I bought looks like it will idle in my inventory for a long time. I'll probably be sitting out the rest of Bricktober.

I was busy buying stuff for Christmas Trains from S@H last October.

I didn't have limitless 20% coupons, since my TRU doesn't accept the coupon images.

3 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

I can't speak to last year, but Bricktober seems fairly lackluster.  I'm just using the minifigure flips to bring 20% discounts to around 45% discounts on sets I believe in and want to start stocking up on.  It's surely not great for pure flipping as you described last year, but it can be useful for snagging anything in the weekly 20% off themes  you want in your inventory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

...I'm just using the minifigure flips to bring 20% discounts to around 45% discounts ...

I'd like to see the math on that.  I'm guessing you have to narrow your choices to the absolute optimum $50 purchase in order to make that 45% discount real. Also, the 20% off sounds good in theory, but in-store (where the promo is) many of the shelf prices in my store are marked up 10%. But if your store, and your buys are working for you, then good. For the items I'm interested in, it's a tepid discount.

'Course it's possible the smart ones may be those that are collecting and holding the promos.  From what I hear here, many stores are running out of these in the first days.  If they don't make more, they could be highly valued someday... but just look like some generic, random figs to me :/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

'Course it's possible the smart ones may be those that are collecting and holding the promos.  From what I hear here, many stores are running out of these in the first days.  If they don't make more, they could be highly valued someday... but just look like some generic, random figs to me :/

I'm pretty sure the minibuilds did the same last year and then flooded the stores after freebies were over.  But I personally agree about the figures.  I only like the Warrior pack personally.  Even with scarcity I don't see them climbing all that high in value.  I'll be happy to take the money now and let others take risk.

They were selling leftover week1 and week2 at my local store. I tried to buy 3 to fulfill the $50 threshold but was told I can't since they aren't construction. Is this accurate? I swear I picked up minifig poly to get over the $50 threshold earlier this month. Thinking of going back with a receipt showing this. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

They were selling leftover week1 and week2 at my local store. I tried to buy 3 to fulfill the $50 threshold but was told I can't since they aren't construction. Is this accurate? I swear I picked up minifig poly to get over the $50 threshold earlier this month. Thinking of going back with a receipt showing this. Thoughts?

Try a different cashier on a different day? ;) 

• Like 2

was at TRU this AM along with a bunch of other Lego crazies. week 4 promo Sold out in roughly about an hour. My choices to get to $50 (bought with GCs I got on EBay the other day) 

Ecto 1 (price matched Walmart $46.79), and a Disney minifigure =Free promo

Vacation Getaways : (price matched target $34) with a Gotham Cycle Chase TRU online price $16.99 = Free promo. (did that twice)

BTW if you got the GCs off EBay the other day that brings the Vacation Getaways down to $28ish!!!

• Like 1

was at TRU this AM along with a bunch of other Lego crazies. week 4 promo Sold out in roughly about an hour. My choices to get to $50 (bought with GCs I got on EBay the other day) 
 Ecto 1 (price matched Walmart $46.79), and a Disney minifigure =Free promo
Vacation Getaways : (price matched target $34) with a Gotham Cycle Chase TRU online price $16.99 = Free promo. (did that twice)
BTW if you got the GCs off EBay the other day that brings the Vacation Getaways down to $28ish!!!

Remember this is YMMV. TRU policy is no promo with pm. Good luck to others, as my store is firm on it. This is definitely the hardest week to find things to buy...

37 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Remember this is YMMV. TRU policy is no promo with pm. Good luck to others, as my store is firm on it. This is definitely the hardest week to find things to buy...

I have been successful all 4 weeks with PM at various stores. here is one of today's receipts.  

IMG_6655.JPG

TRU is very ymmv
I had a guy last week give me the freebie with a $45 purchase, without me asking, and asked me to pick which set I wanted.
Then this week the lady almost didn't give me a freebie because she only had week 1 & 2 at her register, but only week 3 would scan in the comp as free. Luckily we found a sports set.
  • Like 1