Facebook Marketplace

Phil B

From Slashdot:

Facebook today also announced the launch of "Marketplace," allowing users to buy and sell items on the social media platform. The company says more than 450 million people already visit buying and selling groups on Facebook each month. The new service will be available to people over 18 years of age in the United States, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand on Facebook's iPhone and Android over the coming days. BetaNews adds: The primary aim of Facebook Marketplace is to keep things as simple as possible. Both listing and searching for items is incredibly easy, and the focus is on putting would-be buyers in contact with sellers as close by as possible. The new feature sits alongside the many existing pages that have been set up to facilitate the buying and selling of goods, and Facebook has made it possible to post items to the Marketplace and individual pages simultaneously to help maximize your audience.

Did anyone start selling on Facebook Marketplace yet? Any tips or watchouts?

This is a feature that keeps coming and going on FB over the years. I remember selling UF football tickets in there 10 years ago. Then it disappeared. Then it was only in groups. I'm curious. I wouldn't mind selling there, but I wouldn't want to use my personal account for it. I wonder if I could use a business page, or should I just invent a persona for a new account.

Yahoo Finance has an article about this on their frontpage.

Interesting snippet:

Hidden in the fine print of its payment service, Facebook states that’s meant to be something that’s not intended for commercial, business, or merchant transactions, even going so far as to advise that such use would result in deactivation.

Here's the link to the full article:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/beware-these-risks-before-using-facebooks-new-marketplace-211641885.html

• Like 1

And just because it's funny and totally to be expected on the Interwebs:

On Monday, Facebook launched Marketplace, its own take on eBay and Craigslist to offer users a platform to buy and sell things. Less than a day later, the company said there was a "technical issue" that caused drugs, animals, adult services, and other illegal items to appear in Marketplace. Business Insider reports: In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook director of product management Mary Ku said the company is "working to fix the problem" and "closely monitoring our systems to ensure we are properly identifying and removing violations before giving more people access to Marketplace." To police what is sold in Marketplace, a Facebook spokesperson previously told us that the social network will rely on its employees proactively looking for offensive listings as well as users reporting posts they think should be removed.

50 minutes ago, Phil B said:

On Monday, Facebook launched Marketplace, its own take on eBay and Craigslist to offer users a platform to buy and sell things. Less than a day later, the company said there was a "technical issue" that caused drugs, animals, adult services, and other illegal items to appear in Marketplace. Business Insider reports: In a statement to Business Insider, Facebook director of product management Mary Ku said the company is "working to fix the problem" and "closely monitoring our systems to ensure we are properly identifying and removing violations before giving more people access to Marketplace." To police what is sold in Marketplace, a Facebook spokesperson previously told us that the social network will rely on its employees proactively looking for offensive listings as well as users reporting posts they think should be removed.

Jeez they really didn't think this through did they?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phil B said:

That's going to work great on a platform like Facebook. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gregpj said:

That's going to work great on a platform like Facebook. 

The only people left on my version of facebook post either cat or kid photos, or take left/right wing hardline political or religious stances. Not worth bothering with.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Quick question - making my first sale over the Facebook marketplace - I'm doing the transaction through Paypal.  Is there anything I should do to protect myself as the seller beyond the following? I'm going to send the buyer a request for money through the Paypal "Create an Invoice" feature.

Don't use paypal if you are doing meet up in person. As a seller you will lose if buyers opens a INR case, unless they pay via PayPal gift payment then buyer can't open any disputes. Cash is king on local deals.

• Like 1

Don't fuss with PayPal. Cash only

Sorry - let me be clearer. I sold something in a Facebook group through a marketplace listing.

I offered it in the listing with shipping prices. The guy lives hours away so cash and pick up are not options.

How else does someone sell something in one of the Facebook groups that is based around selling across the country?

Sorry - let me be clearer. I sold something in a Facebook group through a marketplace listing.

I offered it in the listing with shipping prices. The guy lives hours away so cash and pick up are not options.

How else does someone sell something in one of the Facebook groups that is based around selling across the country?

PayPal is the way to go then. Make sure their address is eligible for seller protection on the PayPal transaction. Ship with signature confirmation if you are overly paranoid or if the item is > $750. Only ship to their PayPal address.

Edit: Priority mail is fine but parcel select may be cheaper for long distances.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Clintonjoseph said:

I have a buddy that is also into Lego investing/collecting. We have a saying that we use for our best hauls. "Cake taker". As in it "takes the cake", as in the best deal one of us ever found. There's been some good ones in the past: my ucs r2 I found for $7, a green grocer I got in a lot for $60... but today's is the new "cake taker". Last night I saw on fb a lot for $60. First pic showed a three drawer tote filled with random pieces and chunks, second pic showed a large tote with what was clear to me to be a cafe corner. The listing had only been up for less than an hour so I messaged the seller, and we set up a meeting for this morning. Thankfully after we talked, she marked it as sold so nobody tried to snipe it from me. So I show up this morning, I hand over the $60, and I start carrying over the tote with the cc to my truck. I glance down and see a green grocer under the cafe! With half a pet shop attached to it! I load it all up and drive home to check it all out. Cc and gg appear to be complete. I didn't find the other half of the pet shop, but it may just be fully taken apart in the bins. Lots of other neat stuff including a lot of parts (hopefully complete)to the town plan set, a large Vikings set, city garage and firehouse. And to top it all off, if you look above this post, you'll see last week I got a lot with a black pearl. That black pearl was complete, except for one piece...the skull flag in top. Well by some crazy coincidence I found that flag (and a jack sparrow fig) in today's lot! No instructions in this lot, as dusty as all get out, but I'm not complaining. 

Meanwhile, in a household somewhere in America: "Mom, WHY ON EARTH did you sell my LEGO collection? Who gave you permission to do that? Do you have any idea what all of that was worth????"

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Had some success recently on FB Marketplace - got the following for $100. Not had a chance to sort, but these are the instructions included and the woman had all the 'extra' pieces in bags with the sets they came from, so I'm assuming complete. Also previously picked up a new 75150, open box but sealed bags, for $50.

7965                       Star Wars Millennium Falcon

21103                    DeLorean Time Machine

41059                    Friends Jungle Tree Sanctuary

60002                    City Fire Truck

60019                    Stunt Plane

60022                    Cargo Terminal

60047                    Police Station

60060                    Auto Transporter

60073                    Service Truck

60085                    City Great Vehicles 4x4 with Powerboat

60117                    Van & Caravan

60122                    Volcano Crawler