Fake, Counterfeit, Knockoff, Illegal, Garbage, Crap Set & Minifigure Thread: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

On 10/15/2016 at 2:54 PM, Mhd747 said:

The subscription idea sounds like a good idea, until everyone buys the subscription, and all of the "potential" sets are no longer any good as too many people know about them.

So I would say no to the subscription idea. That info should only be available to Ed and Jeff who made the website, but maybe they can throw us some scrap every now and again ;)

I would expect that not even the majority of active users would buy the subscription. Just think of something awesome, like Amazon Prime. There are prominent members here who do not even subscribe to THAT. Amazing. ;)

Edit: I will be the first to buy the subscription if subscribers get a BTP tag on the avatar or something.

Edited by minicoopers11

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

I would expect that not even the majority of active users would buy the subscription. Just think of something awesome, like Amazon Prime. There are prominent members here who do not even subscribe to THAT. Amazing. ;)

Edit: I will be the first to buy the subscription if subscribers get a BTP tag on the avatar or something.

People want free.  I get that.  Unfortunately, free don't pay the bills.  The trend is toward pay for play.  Regardless of whatever happens, it won't be a lot and there will be perks like a tag or notation of some sort.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Rookie said:

Just out of curiosity, what would the definition of "little guys" be? Inventory of $1K? $5K? $20K? $50K $100K?

A little guy might be someone who sells so infrequently that he'd never consider paying for something like BP Premium. 

43 minutes ago, Jackson said:

A little guy might be someone who sells so infrequently that he'd never consider paying for something like BP Premium. 

As I stated previously, there will always be a free portion of the site for dabblers and novices.  The "premium" as you call it could interest more serious resellers.  Either way, Jeff an I are not getting rich off of this.  It would be to help keep the site in the black.  

If the "free-to-play, pay-to-advance/win/whatever" models work for gaming, why not here? Much of the general discussion is anyone's cup of tea but for those serious about what they do then advanced features to help keep a better track of things or whatever extra tools considered beneficial to the business at hand could be offered for a fair fee. I know some people are not keen on some "free-to-play" models (let alone hearing the term) but this can work for everyone's benefit. Otherwise you can always do what everybody else does and have a Patreon page.

How far back do the price guides go? Did you archive every month since the site has been active? 

8 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

People want free.  I get that.  Unfortunately, free don't pay the bills.  The trend is toward pay for play.  Regardless of whatever happens, it won't be a lot and there will be perks like a tag or notation of some sort.  

What trend?

In my opinion, it's about 18 months too late to start charging for premium content here.  Investing in Lego has peaked, and I think you waited too long to cash in on the frenzy.  I know that was (supposedly) never your goal, but trying to cash in now will probably just drive people away at a higher velocity.

If you can find someone to buy the site from you while traffic is still decent, that is probably the better play.  

Best of luck.

• Like 4

That´s true but it´s also fair to say the before less people would have paid as it was easier to sell and make money solo. Now, every possible competitive advantage helps - especially on buy-in. In late 2016, hands up who is going to be paying over RRP for any stuff that EOL´s this year, for instance?

For the most part, I will stay out of this and let the next release do the talking for itself. If you chose pay anything, that is up to you.  No one will think less of you (except maybe Ed). In the end, I feel that whoever does want to take the plunge will be happy they do so.

• Maybe you will be interested in full BrickLink price guide / Brickfolio integration
  • Maybe people who are premium members may continue to get 0% fees in Brick Classifieds when its brought into BrickPicker
  • Maybe premium members will get daily updates to their Brickfolio
  • Maybe premium members will get their own premium forum section
  • Maybe premium members will see a lot more in the price guide
  • Maybe premium members will be able to tag their Brickfolio listings to go into separate Brickfolios
  • Maybe there will be access to Lego items from over 600 retailers globally and 150,000+ Lego items to look through.  
  • Maybe there is more...

@xeeeej it doesn't matter whether it peaked or not, it's however you handle your own business and find any of the new tools, data important to you.  If you find it to not be of value, then no loss to you whatsoever.  You just use the site as it is now and that's it. Others may appreciate certain things that may make their life in Lego investing a little better or save them time, fees, etc.

Look at YouTubeRed, people pay more than $10/month to not have ads in their videos.  They say up to 5% are subscribers which leads to 100-200 million subscribers.  It's not for everyone, but obviously some find it more important to get passed those ads ASAP.

If 10 people chose to do it, so be it.  It's not like I am hurting myself.  It's my time that I chose to put into it.  I hope that people will like it and find value in it.  I also will look to these members for the features that they want most.  If they are the ones willing to put money into it because they are serious about it, then for me, it's nice to know there is an active audience that will really use the new features developed for them.

• Like 8