What is up with Goodwill auctions?

lola_lola32

I have seen quite a few half pound lots of minifigures sell for over $55.00 consistantly enough to wonder if they are shilling.

I bought one of these lots because I saw Narcissa's torso in it, I paid 55.00 and yes, I got her torso and a gryffindors body,

and a bunch of really random items.

But this one is of interest to me...and I get the disclaimer they didn't sort these.  But am I the only one who sees a half eaten oreo cookie?

oreo.JPG

• Like 2

I'm guessing you are talking about the Seattle Goodwill (I believe it is all over Ebay)?  I just want to know how the hell they get all the Lego to begin with.  I kind of want to believe it has nothing to do with Goodwill to begin with as no Goodwill would have this many Lego to sell on such a consistent basis.

16 hours ago, lola_lola32 said:

I have seen quite a few half pound lots of minifigures sell for over $55.00 consistantly enough to wonder if they are shilling.

I bought one of these lots because I saw Narcissa's torso in it, I paid 55.00 and yes, I got her torso and a gryffindors body,

and a bunch of really random items.

But this one is of interest to me...and I get the disclaimer they didn't sort these.  But am I the only one who sees a half eaten oreo cookie?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

San Diego gets a ton of LEGO. They are a regional Goodwill with about 8 different locations.

They don't sell it in their stores. All of it goes to their auction site.

This is also how Seattle works. If you go to a Goodwill store and find Lego it is an accident. I have purchased stuff since I can pick it up locally, and it is a machine. I have no idea how they get it all, but they have people who know what they are doing on their site, it is a good system. 

• Like 1

Something is fishy about these auctions, they always seem to go for too much money. I would trust it more if it were on eBay, but I'm sure they would get kicked off for items not as described.

From what I've experienced from shopping at GW the employees don't have the skill to asses condition and price items. I've seen so many items priced at full retail that are missing critical components or broken. Maybe 1% of items slip through and get priced reasonably or far enough below market to make a buck. 90% is junk and the rest is okay if you need it for personal use. 

I think it's a mistake to siphon off all the good stock for online sale, leaving the stores full of trash. The whole point of thrift shopping is to find bargains- without those items there is no point in shopping at GW.

• Like 1