Architecture 2017

83 posts in this topic

Odd, out of the three of them I think London is the worst.

Should have picked The Shard or Canary Wharf rather than trying to fudge St Pauls Cathedral and Nelsons Column

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how the Chicago box is vertical oriented, while the London and Sydney boxes are horizontal oriented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago is a must for me.

59 minutes ago, Haay said:

Interesting how the Chicago box is vertical oriented, while the London and Sydney boxes are horizontal oriented. 

Maybe because the buildings in the set are more tall and slim than in the other 2 sets, definitely London set has short and fat buildings vs chicago's 2 skyscrapers. Sydney set is somewhere in the middle, between fat/short and tall/skinny.

whats the red building in Chicago set? Is that a CNA building? If that's the case lego missed on adding the Roosevelt university right next to it that has a blue color and both buildings complement each other. white church is included, this set would have white, red and blue right next to each other....but nooooo, we get red and white only...

Edited by Lordoflego

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge of sydney amd chicago is really poor, apart from SOH I can't name any of the other landmarks :/

Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to name them all? Are they famous enough to deserve sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

My knowledge of sydney amd chicago is really poor, apart from SOH I can't name any of the other landmarks :/

Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to name them all? Are they famous enough to deserve sets?

I know Chicago because of almost 2 decades here, I know London either because they really are famous buildings or because I'm European or because I've seen all of the London buildings in previous sets I think  (besides the carousel, didn't know about it in London), Sydney only soh and the needle I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least they got some angle on the Hancock now vs. their original go at it with just straight pcs. I like London and Chicago a great deal. Can't wait to actually build all these...they are simple sets and nothing to crazy but they're cool and give a decent idea as to some elements of some of these cities. 

 

(Got that image from here: http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/16/13655322/chicago-skyline-lego-set-architecture-series)Chicago_Skyline_Image.0.jpeg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, midbenne said:

At least they got some angle on the Hancock now vs. their original go at it with just straight pcs. I like London and Chicago a great deal. Can't wait to actually build all these...they are simple sets and nothing to crazy but they're cool and give a decent idea as to some elements of some of these cities. 

 

(Got that image from here: http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/16/13655322/chicago-skyline-lego-set-architecture-series)

Is the river green?  lol  That's awesome.  I love that they do that for St Paddy's Day.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Is the river green?  lol  That's awesome.  I love that they do that for St Paddy's Day.

As you said, usually for St. Paddy's day but all other days, besides when the Cubs won the world series, it's nasty brown! :) But something tells me translucent brown pcs wouldn't have had the same effect as the ones above. 

Edited by midbenne
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London disapoints me as the houses of Parliement should be fully there in that scale also the London eye is a horrific build to pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2016 at 2:55 PM, Mhd747 said:

My knowledge of sydney amd chicago is really poor, apart from SOH I can't name any of the other landmarks :/

Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to name them all? Are they famous enough to deserve sets?

Chicago's skyline has Hancock Center, Willis/Sears Tower, Wrigley Building, CNA Building, Millennium Park/Cloudgate, and a representation of the Chicago River (with bridge) that separates the two sides of the city - north and south.  Each side of town is represented best by their baseball teams - Cubs on the North Side and White Sox on the south (though not in set).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The London set is way overpriced at £44.99 when I bought one at the LSq opening. At least it's a QFLL before the widespread release and I've already sold it to pay for the London Bus and T-shirt.

TBH I think the detail is too vague to make the skyline sets worthwhile.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a rumour that some 2017 sets will go on sale on CM. Don´t know if this will be one or if it is a 1 day only offer (the surprise they mention in the affiliate newsletter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

TBH I think the detail is too vague to make the skyline sets worthwhile.

 

Having built New York and Venice I'd have to agree.  I certainly won't be stockpiling them. They are a novelty if you buy them whilst visiting the location but I can't see many people collecting them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hancock and Willis from Chicago and the Empire State Building from NYC are excellent models. These all surpass their standalone models significantly. I might make standalone display bases for each of these.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have had an opportunity to purchase exclusively 21034 during grand opening of the New TLG Store in Leicester Square in London, plus had a pleasure to meet a designer and creator of this set himself - Rok Kobe who signed my newly purchased 21034 London Set, very nice and passionate person.

comment_YZMY0ckejDqdp9AO0d7MJd0inViFIVRL

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17-11-2016 at 1:55 AM, Mhd747 said:

My knowledge of sydney amd chicago is really poor, apart from SOH I can't name any of the other landmarks :/

Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to name them all? Are they famous enough to deserve sets?

Sydney Harbour Bridge is reasonably famous. Maybe not as famous as the Opera House, but I am familiar with it. I don't know the other two buildings or any of the Chicago buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:12 AM, Shewie said:

have had an opportunity to purchase exclusively 21034 during grand opening of the New TLG Store in Leicester Square in London, plus had a pleasure to meet a designer and creator of this set himself - Rok Kobe who signed my newly purchased 21034 London Set, very nice and passionate person.

I QFLL'd mine for £150 the day after! My other half then popped in the next day to pick one up for my collection - which I may, just may, QFLL too!

For those of you that have these to keep, offload asap if I were you as it's being released globally in the new year and is quite overpriced to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.