Architecture 2017

Val-E

4 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Personally I disagree

but is that a new 1x1 tile curved tile I see there

I don't see any new 1x1 curved tiles ... only the new-in-2016 curved 1x1 tiles as corners of the pavement, but those have been in several sets last year, some as cherry pie slices, some as pizza slices, some unprinted.

30 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Hey, remakes in architecture!  That's great, since there are not enough good ideas for new sets.  This is sarcasm by the way, this game is getting precarious.

That sounded like the sincere comment made by the lead designer at the architecture theme.

• Like 1

I do agree that the new versions of the Burj and this set make the old ones look amateurish.  SO, that's one thing going for it.. .but I also agree with Waddamon that there are so many architectural marvels out there they could focus on.  Right now they are just rehashing stuff we've already seen.  The guggenheim didn't really need a remake, nor did the burj.  They could have moved on to other buildings, because there's only about a million to choose from.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

There we go, another new set for the summer.

https://www.ottosimon.nl/nl-nl/lego-21036-arc-de-triomphe-architecture-411--1036?returnurl=%2fnl-nl%2fsearch%3fq%3dlego%2barchitecture%23411-1036

Guess that makes ET or Louvre a retirement candidate.

New Guggenheim listed at 80 euros too!

They've retired a ton recently, I wouldn't be too surprised if nothing else goes away for a bit.

1 hour ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Wonder if Lego has to pay for any rights to make the buildings or landmarks?

I think they do for SOH and some others. I would imagine that in some cases, its Lego that receives money to make a set - Marina Sands, for instance.

2 hours ago, KShine said:

So that pretty much does it for the Architectural line.

By the way, aesthetically, the new design sucks. The previous classic white/black one had class - I am not sure what this one is trying to do.

18 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I do agree that the new versions of the Burj and this set make the old ones look amateurish.  SO, that's one thing going for it.. .but I also agree with Waddamon that there are so many architectural marvels out there they could focus on.  Right now they are just rehashing stuff we've already seen.  The guggenheim didn't really need a remake, nor did the burj.  They could have moved on to other buildings, because there's only about a million to choose from.

I like the new Burj and it needed an update.  I don't think the Guggenheim needed a new version and I prefer the old style to the new one, based solely on the picture.  The old one is very clean, like all of the "classic" architecture sets.

21 minutes ago, kahuka said:

The new Guggenheim looks a lot more like the real building.

You either go for the real details or you don't - you don't do both.

Having the fine lettering on the building and the 2 yellow piece taxi cabs in the same set looks stupid.

• Like 1