Amazon Alexa

TANV

19 minutes ago, BRIX23 said:

Several deals ordering through Amazon Echo with Alexa (Free $5 GC for first 25,000 customers):

-Large Creative Box 10698 $29.99 

-Rebel U-Wing 75155 $57.69

-Friends Advent 41311 $24.75

What's your take on Alexa? Is she worth it?

2 minutes ago, TANV said:

I don't trust anything ordering for me. I barely trust my own hands some times.

If money was no issue, having Alexa order things would be very convenient, but if you like to pick and choose what you're ordering based on price, seller or specific brand (that isn't common) it's not worth it. A phone with the mobile app is just about as fast and I know what I'm getting and how much it costs.

9 minutes ago, TANV said:

Yes--for what Alexa is. I gave my wife one for Christmas last year. "She" plays music, gives us news updates, tells us the weather... the voice recognition is pretty good. She'll even tell you bad jokes. 

I'm not buying via Alexa, though. Way too easy to spend money without thinking. 

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

Amazon - is this price just for business customers?

21108 - IDEAS: Ghostbusters Ecto-1 - $45.24 (10% off)

I'm seeing it, too.  (not a business customer)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TANV said:

So far I only order through Alexa when there are promotions such as the free GC or prices only available through Alexa.  I agree with others on it's usefulness in terms of music, weather, traffic to work, but we use it for much more such as lighting.  We also have dots in almost every room now as well so no privacy here, lol.  

Re: Alexa
We bought our Alexa last Christmas and have had many chances to use her. In a nutshell...she is a very expensive grocery list maker. More times than not, she doesn't know the answers to questions and is more frustrating than anything for us. Every time she can't answer a question, I ask my Google and Google kicks her ass!
Now....she may be great for controlling lights, electronics, sprinklers, etc. I cannot attest to that. Our original intentions were to have a homework helper...that didn't work out very well...
I am probably going to get the Google equivalent this Christmas.

2 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

Re: Alexa
We bought our Alexa last Christmas and have had many chances to use her. In a nutshell...she is a very expensive grocery list maker. More times than not, she doesn't know the answers to questions and is more frustrating than anything for us. Every time she can't answer a question, I ask my Google and Google kicks her ass!
Now....she may be great for controlling lights, electronics, sprinklers, etc. I cannot attest to that. Our original intentions were to have a homework helper...that didn't work out very well...
I am probably going to get the Google equivalent this Christmas.

I have 3 in my house.  We use it non stop.  From basic questions, to weather, to lights, to spotify music, to alarms and reminders.  We love it.

• Like 1