Pets

Stud-Flipper

Guest TabbyBoy
6 hours ago, Stud-Flipper said:

So, I'm thinking of getting some type of a new pet. I've been looking at various reptiles/amphibians such as tortoises, frogs, and the like. Anyone own anything that they can recommend? 

Honestly, you can't beat a nice friendly pussycat like my Tabby Boy ;-)

Oh... you want something more exotic?

When I was 18, I had a Chilean Red Knee tarantula that was very docile and never had a problem picking her up - I had lots of fun scaring my mother with her! In my Hong Kong expat days, I had a chameleon and those are fantastic as it ate all the flies and mosquitos that came into my apartment. It was also very amusing at the dinner table when "Boris" used to sit by us and then flick his sticky tongue out onto the window to grab a fly!

I've owned so many different pets over the years, it's hard to recommend any one thing in particular.  It depends on your taste and how much time and effort you want to put into a pet like that.  I myself currently have: 3 dogs, 3 cats, 5 chickens, 1 bird, 1 snake, 9 tarantulas, and our kids have 2 ferrets.  I've owned bearded dragons, tegus, rabbits, etc over the years.

When thinking about pets, you really need to consider if you are a novice, and stuff, because some animals take a lot of time and attention to take care of properly, and others are really simple.

Tortoises can be great pets and pretty simple to take care of, but be careful of the species because some get huge and will outlive you.  I've known too many people that get a bigger species and then they can't take care of it because it got too big.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citymorgue said:

Tortoises can be great pets and pretty simple to take care of, but be careful of the species because some get huge and will outlive you.  I've known too many people that get a bigger species and then they can't take care of it because it got too big.

Well, I've done a good bit of research on tortoises. And I live on 2 acres so it'd have a good bit or room to move around, or for me to build a large enclosure. Tbh, I've been looking at the sulcata, the largest that's commercially available/affordable.