Surprises in the LEGO Architecture Skylines 2017 wave?

henrysunset

Like so many of us, I am always very excited to see leaked or official photos of new sets in my favorite themes, especially Architecture.  Thankfully, we finally have official photos of the three new sets in the 2017 wave of the LEGO Architecture 'Skylines' theme. 

2017-Skylines-600x300.png
The three new sets in the 2017 wave of the "Skylines" theme.

This doubles the number of sets in the Skylines series to six, so I think it's fair to expect that this series is here to stay.  With 100's of major cities around the world to explore, I don't think they will run out very quickly!

Initial Observations:

• All three sets have around 400 bricks, unlike the 2016 wave which ranged from 212 to 598 bricks.
  • All of the 2016 models had the same width of 32 studs, each of the 2017 models is a different width.  (This may make it harder to display them all on the same shelf.)
  • There appear to be some new colors for existing parts.  (I'm also unsure of the part used on the top of the Wrigley Building in the Chicago model.  It might be a new part.)
  • Unlike the 2016 models, only one of the 2017 models has a Nanofig element.

2017-Skylines-annotated-600x300.png
Each of the new models has a base of a different width.

For more detailed analysis of the three new models, please visit: http://brickarchitect.com/2016/2017-lego-architecture-preview/

The focus on the Skylines theme feels like a mixed blessing: on the one hand, we are getting more LEGO architecture sets each year than in the past; unfortunately this seems to be at the expense of the larger models focusing on a single building.  

What do you think?  Do you love the Skylines, or wish for more large classic LEGO Architecture models?

Thanks,
Tom Alphin

Author, 'The LEGO Architect' (now available in French, Spanish, Russian & Japanese.)

Edited by henrysunset
  • Like 3

I really have not been impressed with the skyline sets. Just too small to carry any detail.

The Venice set is dire, and 1 WTC in the New York set is absolutely terrible.

It's a pity that these sets are taking up spaces in the line up that could be used for more of the larger scale models. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, henrysunset said:

...What do you think?  Do you love the Skylines, or wish for more large classic LEGO Architecture models?

I hate the skyline models to be honest Tom. Much prefer larger buildings. Especially along the lines of the Frank Lloyd Wright models, but I guess they just don't sell as well.

This new wave is a little better than the last ones, but still not for me. They just feel like those tatty mantelpiece ornaments you might find in a gift shop when on holidays. I don't think they really have the potential to turn anyone on to architecture the way the larger sets do.

Edited by tractorboy

I do like the skyline models, I love what lego do with micro models, like a lot of the star wars one's using all the small parts and these are no different. 

I don't know how they will do eol but I will probably end up with most for personal builds, Funny enough I picked up the NYC set last night in TRU to make up an order for the £20 gift card.