17101 - LEGO Boost

joch29

So far, we know that the LEGO Boost works with (beyond the initial pack):

70625 - Ninjago Stormbringer (Fall 2018 release)
10261 - Roller Coaster (May 2018 release)
60194 - Arctic Scout Truck (May 2018 release)

Some info on the extended features of Boost, as it interacts with the Stormbringer:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ninjago-lego-boost-set,news-26635.html

Using Boost's standard system of block-based programming, we were able to make the dragon move its head and roar by launching one set set of code. 

Other blocks of code enable the color sensor to detect which minfigure you place on top of the dragon. Placing the black-robed ninja on top of the dragon caused it to perform a set of motions while the blue-robed ninja was set to cause different actions.

Lego said that the Ninjago Stormbringer will also be able to respond to being petted, answer questions when it detects a voice and fire missiles. The company did not have a demo of the Lego City set, which will work with Boost, and didn't have many details about it.

There's video of it in action on that site.

• 1 year later...

IMO, I sense that Boost might be a bust.

Not advanced enough for the Mindstorms crowd, too complicated for the young - Also, it looks as if it could easily become dated.

I suppose that the colors/style are trying to be appealing to both boys & girls, but they aren't doing it for me.

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I'm not interested in the whole Boost package.  But that cat, yea I will definitely be building me a couple of those in different colors.

edit: WTF is that. I saw Lordoflego's post first then scrolled up and saw Jock29's pic.  that looks like the cat was ran over, then drowned, brought back to life 6 weeks later.

Edited by brickcrazyhouse

11 minutes ago, brickcrazyhouse said:

I'm not interested in the whole Boost package.  But that cat, yea I will definitely be building me a couple of those in different colors.

edit: WTF is that. I saw Lordoflego's post first then scrolled up and saw Jock29's pic.  that looks like the cat was ran over, then drowned, brought back to life 6 weeks later.

I c it now lol

I think the concept is interesting.  The whole not complicated enough for mindstorms nerds but easy enough for those casually interested in automation and robotics.  Not sure how big that market is.....but I can see the appeal.

1 hour ago, brickcrazyhouse said:

As for the cat....it could be a bad picture/angle.  I will wait for more detailed pics to pass judgement on the drowned rat.....

• Like 1

If you own a business, there are 2 things you must do.  Make a profit and build/plan for the future to sustain that margin.  Whether or not this is a "Big Hit" or "Bomb" market wise is not the question for Lego.  Like I've said before Lego is changing.  There are many more ideas on the horizon.  They are building for the future.  They have to.  They want to.  Yes they are still making regular sets and lots of people old & new love them for just that.  But this is only the beginning.....

Edited by BrickU

1 hour ago, KvHulk said:

So.... Junior Mindstorms.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm not impressed excited.

Mindstorms were never good collectibles, so these will probably follow the same path.  What these are is more affordable, thus easier to sell.  The two thing my son loves are LEGO sets and my Ipad, so I can see these being popular among the more mechanically inclined kids of the world.

• 4 months later...

Prices:

US: $159.99

UK: £149.99 (equivalent to €169 at current exchange rate)

DE: 159,99 €

FR: 159,99 €

NL: €159,99

Ireland: €159.99

Spain: 159,99 €

Australia: $249.99 (equivalent to €168 at current exchange rate)

---

At least no LEGO tax added for most European countries. Well, except for the UK who are suffering from the currently bad exchange rate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lego Boost is in Argos's Top 12 toys predictions for Christmas 2017. What does this tell us:

• It will supposedly be less popular than Friends Catamaran.
  • Argos have ordered a lot of units. 

I like the idea. I'd encourage my 7 year-old to try it and persevere, but I'd certainly prefer a sub £100 price. One wonders if there is some government funding behind it as Coding is such an important part of the school's Curriculum.