For the Starter or few years in Seasoned Veteran

LegoMan1212

I would love to know which would save or make you more money in the long run... 

1) Using your investment and subsequent investments (would love approximate examples from some of you) on buying Lego and flipping year after year and determining actual return on it after paying taxes (assuming most of you do on your sales/net income)

2) taking that initial deposit and subsequent "additional money" and paying down your home loan and how much interest you would save over the life of the loan

Let's keep time value of money out of it, as well as, inflation

Here's a quick example on the loan side...

$200,000 Loan, 30 yr, 4% (total interest paid through the life of the loan is $143,500)

If you paid $100 extra per month until the loan was done (only $1,200 per year), you would save $26k over the life of the loan on interest.  Here are some other numbers for fun in terms of how much you save in paying of interest (rounded) so maybe I answered #2 but am interested in #1 if any care to share since I would assume taxes takes quite a hit depending which bracket you are in and there isn't any capital gain tax on this (at least I wouldn't assume so to reduce the rate like a Stock)

$100 per month - $26,000 saved

$200 per month - $44,500 saved

$500 per month - $80,000 saved

$1,000 per month - $98,000 saved

If nothing else, maybe this is an eye opener to how putting a little bit towards your home loan can help a lot down the line.  

EDIT: Some advice that I've told friends and family and nearly all have refinanced, but get down to a 15 yr loan if you can, that will cut your interest owed big time with that simple move. Obviously it depends on how much is left to owe and how long, but most people are usually closer to the 30 year mark than the 0.

Edited by LegoMan1212