Talking to your Significant Other About LEGO

TANV

Given that it's February and Valentine's Day is but a week away, I believe that it's time to bring up The Talk (About your LEGO hobby).  For those of us who were not blessed with beloved partners who loved LEGO just as much as we did, how did you talk to your SO about the wonders of the plastic brick, especially if they were skeptical, hostile, or had no idea that you have so many mini-figures hidden everywhere?  Any other sagely advice is welcome as well.

• Like 1

I let my balance sheets and the vacation we take every year, paid for with money made from reselling Lego, do the talking. When I first started doing this several years ago she was skeptical. Now when she is out shopping and she sees a set on sale she sends me a text asking if she should buy it.

Storage could have been an issue since I've got quite a bit of inventory, but luckily I have a good hookup on free storage which isn't too far away from our house. If you can show consistent positive results and don't let your inventory take over your living space then the potential issues with your significant other shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Thanos75 said:

I agree. The key is to have the Lego have as little impact in your home and relationship as possible. 

I was single for a while before meeting my girlfriend. I knew early on that bringing a girl home on a date to a house full of Lego was most likely not going to end up in the bedroom...wink wink. Fortunately I have a building in the back and a big garage and I actually have zero Lego on display in my living space. Somehow I managed to land a girl way out of my league and I was a bit nervous to drop this bomb on her. So after dating my girlfriend for a bit I decided to show her my hobby. Her first impression was less then thrilled. All she saw was the amount of money it cost me to have all that plastic stacked on shelves.  Fortunately that didn't last long. One evening of sitting in the cave building while watching movies and she was hooked. Now it's one of her favorite things to do and she loves going deal hunting with me. Life is good.

Some guys have all the luck ....

• Like 5

I don't invest in Lego, but the way I got my wife hooked, was when I bought a set and was building it in front of her.  She was chastising me pretty hard at first, especially spend $200 on a Lego set haha.  But she kept eyeballing all the fun I was having putting it together, and the next day I took her to the Lego store and let her decide what she wanted to build.  She chose the VW Bus, and she was hooked.  She became a believer at that point.  Only way I can possibly justify spending $14k+ on Legos over the last few years haha.

• Like 2

The biggest impact has been the impact on the inevitable creep into other areas of the house. Luckily we both agree that spending money on storage is a waste and eats into any profit that will be had. So it was decided to build a 16x32 studio on the property to house ALL the collectibles.......Lego, comics, toys and cards. I think that once that is built all will be well again. Right now her involvement is to help organize the loose bricks to make pulling pieces for used sets easier. Definitely a razor thin edge to balance on.............?

• Like 1

I got my wife into lego to deal with this. Little sets like the Cloud Cuckoo Land with Uni-kitty (who she loved in the movie), then some of the small box animal or holiday sets from time to time. Now she buys me the big modular sets as Christmas/birthday gifts. As for the reselling, she was very skeptical of anything involving Craigslist, associating it with back alley deals or sordid hookups, but between showing her that most of the action is on Amazon and how much profit the sales make, I have achieved tacit look the other way status. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

LEGO discussions at home end up being a one-sided conversation so it's now taboo to mention it.

I can relate to the one-sided conversation it's like that in our house when Lego is the topic.

The girlfriends into boxing so I bought her this for Christmas,keeps her sweet.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

My wife enjoys building the modulars and she built the huge Disney Castle with my daughter. She was one of the first in line to buy it the day it came out!

I get plenty of wiggle room with my LEGO hoarding. My entire basement along with the storage shelves in my basement have turned into a LEGO store. I also have the shelves in our master bedroom closet and another shelving unit in our office filled up. As long as the sets don't creep up to our first floor or get in the way of walking I'm good.