eBay - Is fraud on the increase?

Guest TabbyBoy

10 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

If you get 2 counterfeit vero's in a year it is a 7 day listing suspension.  Think 3 is 30 day and 4 indefinite (lifetime) ban.  Had that happen about 4 years ago.  They use the BS that you are not an authorized seller so it has to be fake.  I just never list anything I've ever been vero'd for again.

I got vero'd a couple years back - scary stuff (since it is pretty much based on the honor system of the company lawyers that decide to report you).

Are you certain that the ban is for reportings that take place within a year?

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

I got vero'd a couple years back - scary stuff (since it is pretty much based on the honor system of the company lawyers that decide to report you).

Are you certain that the ban is for reportings that take place within a year?

It was at the time.  Said 2 reported veros in a rolling 12 month period (for authenticity / counterfeit reason).  User reported veros do not count like a manufacturer reported vero and require 2 people to have it ended.  I do not know how many of those you can get but it is very rare to have happen.  Copyright / trademark veros are also not as serious as long as you don't do it again.   

Since then I have been even more cautious and research as much as I can about each new company I attempt to list.  If I see anything I don't like I just don't list it anymore.  Haven't had any for that reason since.  Think I got 2 for trademarked words.  Velcro and onesie.  Gerber owns onesie and if not a Gerber onesie you will get vero'd.  One disadvantage of getting so many products.  Also a lot of these major companies now sell on there and I get leery of listing that type of stuff as well.  Seems all to easy they get mad that you are selling cheaper than them and end your listing for saying counterfeit.  

Other thing you have to be careful of now as well is listing items in new condition.   Some manufacturers clearly state you cannot list new if you are not an  authorized seller for that company so you can get a vero for that.  Comes down to warranty as they don't honor warranty for items bought from unauthorized sellers.   Some have been known to issue counterfeit for that too as they say you couldn't of obtained them as you aren't an authorized seller.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lego Templar said:

... dealing with USPS makes a trip to the DMV look like a vacation.

Speaking of which, I've noticed recently shipping on eBay that they now offer both USPS insurance, and a third party insurance (forget the name) for a dollar or two more.  I don't often go for insurance, but selling some higher dollar items, there's often room in the profit margin to "splurge". Anyone have an opinion on this? Is the third party insurance any better (i.e., pay you with less waiting / hassle)?  Is insurance a sucker bet (waste of my money)? What's the claim process like?

6 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Speaking of which, I've noticed recently shipping on eBay that they now offer both USPS insurance, and a third party insurance (forget the name) for a dollar or two more.  I don't often go for insurance, but selling some higher dollar items, there's often room in the profit margin to "splurge". Anyone have an opinion on this? Is the third party insurance any better (i.e., pay you with less waiting / hassle)?  Is insurance a sucker bet (waste of my money)? What's the claim process like?

I use Insurepost, but never had to file a claim.

I've never posted before but been on brickpicker for several years. I'm an ebay buyer not a seller. Had to comment because I purchased two of the sdcc boxes -- the batmobile and rocket raccoon. My sister who lives at the same address won one on ebay as well. 

It's definitely fraud. Tracking showed it was delivered but we didn't receive them. Just got back from post office and they were delivered to two different addresses both within our zip code. We've both filed claims with ebay. Ebay told me they would send me some ii-something forms that would be sent to the FBI. Hope they prosecute the guy. 

• Like 8

This is messed up. On one hand it's like with every crime, criminals will always try to stay one step ahead of the law. They will always try to come up with new tricks when the old ones don't work anymore. But you can't even buy in peace? this may scare some buyers, potentially my buyers. 

(Watching "Enter the dragon"hehehe, as bad as the actors like, gotta love Bruce Lee kicking some butts. Bolo, or whatever is name is, is breaking necks now lol)

update, I think Bruce just killed a dude...

Edited by Lordoflego

The little fraudster apparently has an affinity for golf. I looked up the addresses on the county property tax website and one was sent to Top Golf and the other to a Country club. 

After reading the full thread, I contacted the country club. They're supposed to call me back if they still have the envelope. Unfortunately it was "delivered" on Wednesday but I just got back from out of town today. They probably trashed it.

I have to wait until the 23rd with ebay for next action but seller has not responded to emails -- I haven't gotten the wife excuse or the incredulous can't imagine what happened. Radio silence. 

But as a buyer I'm concerned. Those were not cheap sets. My 8x ebay bucks aren't even tempting me right now. I don't like to have to file claims on ebay. Post office can see it wasn't delivered to my address but they wouldn't give me the printout so I still have to wait for the favorable ebay decision. Lots of complaints about unscrupulous buyers out there but there's no shortage of fraudulent sellers on ebay as well. 

Not sure if I'm hijacking the thread but here goes.  Please tell me if I am in the wrong here or what i should do.  It's over a measly $7 (includes shipping) but to me it's the principle of what seems to me as knowingly selling a fake mini-figure.  Should i have known, possibly, but I can't rip the mini-figure apart before i buy it on Ebay like you can in a store.  Communication is below... Link to sale is here.  This is my 1st time down Fake Lego Avenue and am open to your thoughts on what to do next if I should even waste my time on this small ass sale.. Should I have known it was fake before purchasing?  The only thing that stands out to me is the cape after REALLY comparing the picture to the SW711.  Other than that, not sure how I would know either way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Lego-The-Batman-Movie-March-Harriet-amp-Star-Wars-Boba-Fett-Mini-Figures-/292052063540?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:US:3160

Mar 19  (My First Initial Email)

You created a return
Reason for return
Doesn't seem authentic

Comments
The Boba Fett you sold me is a fake. There are zero Lego imprints anywhere on any of the pieces, which completes my suspicions as I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out which set he was from so then i started to inspect him a little closer. Where ever you got it from, I would suggest to stop buying from them. The Harriot character looks good as Lego is on every piece as expected. I have attached pictures of the Legs, Torso and Head pieces where one clearly has Lego on it and the other one does not.

His Response

i understand your issue and see where as you feel misled. but as a collector, you clearly know that a lego boba fett, which is in the carbon freezing chamber set #75137 by the way, is worth more than $3.00. The listing says Lot of 2, which refers to the number of minifigures, and at no time in the description or the listing did i claim the boba fett to be anything but a minifigure. the title says lego because the name of the film is the lego batman movie and that is the set that march harriet is from. i at no time refered to boba fett as lego at any point even in the description as i stated it was a star wars boba fett minifigure. i will not be issuing a refund based from this information. in addition, i do not appreciate your tone and attitude in your message and i would recommend you refrain from communication with buyers in the future in such a manner.

My 2nd response
So you clearly knew it wasn't Lego, then you should state that in your description like everyone else does when it is "Lego Compatible" but not truly Lego. I have no issue letting Ebay handle this but am willing to go 50% on it as payment for the other Minifigure without getting them involved. I believe this to be fair as I did purchase one minifigure from you that was what I thought it would be. Not all Boba-Fetts are expensive either, some do sell for just $3+shipping (so about $6 total) as there are about 20 variations total of him. I was figuring it was the $6 version until I inspected it closer as things were not matching up. At the end of this is a website that shows "about pricing" for minifigures sold by Lego. See SW711 which looks like your picture but isn't, which since you mentioned the exact set that this one "looks' like again shows that you knew it was a counterfeit piece, as there are many other Boba-Fetts out there that looks similar to this with small variations. You can also use this to look up other one's by clicking on Minifig Price Guide at the bottom (for future reference) for other sets as well. http://www.minifigpriceguide.com/STARWARS.0.html
Also, I don't think that last email was harsh in one bit. It broke out the facts as they are and IF you were getting them from someone else, that they are selling you fakes, but since it seems you know they are fakes, I guess that advice doesn't hold much value. Thank you for your response and confirming my suspicions.

His latest response

i stated what set you could find boba fett in since you claimed to be having "a hell of a time" finding what set it was from and now all of a sudden youre an expert on boba fett minifigs. if you are referencing the pricelist and have so much info at your fingertips, you could clearly see that the weapon accessory is not the correct lego issued piece for boba fett indicating that this was infact a minifig made by a company other than lego. then your slick talking comment about you dont know who im buying them from showed even more attitude. there was no attempt at deception at any point during any of this. furthermore, who do you think you are telling me how i should complete my listings to your satisfaction? your misconception on your purchase is not my concern. your attempt to be passive aggressive isnt going to fly with me and as i stated previously, i will be issuing no refund. please feel free to go ahead and open a case with ebay.

20170319_144927.jpg

20170319_145020.jpg

Edited by LegoMan1212

3 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

Negative feedback and move on. Not worth the stress over a cheap minifig. Easy for me to say I guess, but this is what I've done in the past. 

I wish I could still do this but my extreme dislike in waiting for buyers to leave feedback makes me want to leave feedback within a day of receiving the item, so needless to say, I left positive feedback as it wasn't until days later that I inspected the item much more as I note down every mini-figure I have for inventory purposes so I don't have to re-look them up later on.  I just figured it had to be the one in question SW711 until i really sized them up against each other.

Thanks to all comments that have come in.  I was more-less taken back by his response that I was being so impolite when this just looks like an open and shut case.  Know your product before you sell it, simple as that.  Maybe I should have inspected it more, but there has to be some trust of what you are buying is the real deal, no matter what price it is being sold as.  I sell things cheaper all the time just to get cash flow coming back my way instead of always going out.  Otherwise, my wife would cut me off!!!! :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

Can't figure out if it was listed in a LEGO category. Seems like it was.

If so, just file the SNAD and move on.

Right.  Smack in the middle the Item Specifics say Lego Character: Boba Fett, Brand: Lego.  And you are right, it is listed in a Lego Category.  I'm going to screenshoot this before it gets altered.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

I wish I could still do this but my extreme dislike in waiting for buyers to leave feedback makes me want to leave feedback within a day of receiving the item, so needless to say, I left positive feedback as it wasn't until days later that I inspected the item much more as I note down every mini-figure I have for inventory purposes so I don't have to re-look them up later on.  I just figured it had to be the one in question SW711 until i really sized them up against each other.

Thanks to all comments that have come in.  I was more-less taken back by his response that I was being so impolite when this just looks like an open and shut case.  Know your product before you sell it, simple as that.  Maybe I should have inspected it more, but there has to be some trust of what you are buying is the real deal, no matter what price it is being sold as.  I sell things cheaper all the time just to get cash flow coming back my way instead of always going out.  Otherwise, my wife would cut me off!!!! :) 

Already left positive feedback. Ok didn't know that. Yeh , start a claim. Without neg feedback to teach them a lesson , a claim is your only comeback. Good luck. ☺️

I am livid right now

42e6cb09dc6d15a3460786a2083fe299.png

I went off on the eBay customer service rep. They said sorry it's been closed. I asked to speak to someone in the United States and that can give me a refund before I get off the phone. I got transferred and explained in detail what happen (and 4-5 other negative feedback saying the exact same thing) that they didn't receive item etc.

Finally was told I would be getting a refund in 24-48 hours...im heated....it's like these idiots don't care and I have to fight with eBay just to get my money back like I'm in the wrong or something...

Also my negative feedback was removed and I doubt the money comes out of the sellers pocket....

10 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:
Right.  Smack in the middle the Item Specifics say Lego Character: Boba Fett, Brand: Lego.  And you are right, it is listed in a Lego Category.  I'm going to screenshoot this before it gets altered.

He can't alter the listing after it's sold.

As Alpine stated file a SNAD and move on. The seller misled you by listing in the LEGO category rather than the generic building blocks (or whatever it's called) category for custom or off-brand blocks.

Next time, don't engage so much in messages. We all want to say our piece but you should have kept it short and sweet - "I can't find any LEGO markings on the parts. Are these genuine LEGO minifigures that you sold me?"

No matter the response, it supports your SNAD claim.

After said claim is successful THEN you go report a bunch of their listings for violations of the search and browse manipulation / wrong category. Post a link to a listing here, some fellow BPers will report some too. Make them move their shit product to the right categories.

• Like 1

I had a Buy It Now sale for a small amount $15.00. Buyer had 1,400 feedback but never paid. I sent an email and then opened a non-paying complaint. Buyer emailed me back and said he thought he paid for it, and then wasn't on Ebay for a week.

He then messaged me to tell me he appealed the non-paying claim and won, but would like to buy my item again. Lol

I had a Buy It Now sale for a small amount $15.00. Buyer had 1,400 feedback but never paid. I sent an email and then opened a non-paying complaint. Buyer emailed me back and said he thought he paid for it, and then wasn't on Ebay for a week.
He then messaged me to tell me he appealed the non-paying claim and won, but would like to buy my item again. Lol

Wow, that's nuts