What recently retired sets would you buy at RRP?

Manse1001

After quite a few retirements over the last month or so, I was just interested to see what recently retired sets you guys would still buy at RRP? I was in TRU the other day and they had a few JW sets sitting at the back of the shelf, so I purchased for a quick turn around. I was also in John Lewis and did the same with a Mystery mansion. I had my quota for both but it was an easy opportunity to make a few extra quid. Maze seems another obvious choice but yet to stumble across any more of those. Architecture sets are performing OK if purchased at the right price, as is Wall-e, JW and SD range but would you still buy at RRP if you stumbled across any of them?

46 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'd also add Maze (if you can luck into one), and White House. 

It was railed on here for a long while that the White House was overhoarded, but it's already 30.00 over RRP (ie a 40% gainer within months of EOL)..

+1 on White House. I thought it would do well, but it keeps rising. Eiffel Tower will be in the same category although retirement harder to pin down IMO.

Elves sets are a good reminder to never bet against a dragon in general. Weird short shelf life for those sets too.

At the risk of being laughed at, I still think the Hulkbuster set will be a super hero set that shows some growth....

I would go hard with the Architecture Sets:

21006 - The White House

21020 - The Trevi Fountain

21022 - The Lincoln Memorial (Just recently sold one marked up about 70% what I bought.)

I would also take a look at the first wave of City Skylines as well.  While some people might not care much for them, they are a new take on LEGO Architecture and also geared towards tourists.

None of the city skylines sets from the first wave have retired yet.  Maybe next year, but they are all found at discount right now online, so maybe a decent time to get sets like Venice and Berlin, but you aren't going to be doubling your money on those by purchasing them right now.  However, all the sets that did retire this year are all showing good gains, although the same did happen last year, and then some of them plateaued and have done little since.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

None of the city skylines sets from the first wave have retired yet.  Maybe next year, but they are all found at discount right now online, so maybe a decent time to get sets like Venice and Berlin, but you aren't going to be doubling your money on those by purchasing them right now.  However, all the sets that did retire this year are all showing good gains, although the same did happen last year, and then some of them plateaued and have done little since.

Yeah, I agree.  It seems that it's more prudent to unload earlier on some of the sets rather than let them sit and take up more space in hopes of an increase on returns, since this is the post-euphoria of LEGO investing it seems.  Profit STILL is profit in the end. 

But I do still enjoy playing with the plastic bricks.  That's more important.

I was going to ask this question last weekend.
I've been hoarding architecture, but my area is running dry. So I've been trying to figure out what to buy next.

I still have access to a few SDoo sets, light houses and MMs. And some JW. Most at RRP, except the JW. I can only get that at TRU.

But I've been hesitant to buy a pair of Mazes at 10% off. I can get SDoo Light house for more than 10% off. The other small SDoo sets at 10% off
I think I'll grab the Mazes this week, what about the light house?

What about these?
Vader vs Awing at 10% off
Carbon freezing chamber 10%
Series 2 SW micro fighters at 10%
AT-ST at 10%

I haven't read much about the series 2 micros. Ghost a winner?

Forget everything after "what about these". I´d focus on the two bigger SD sets and Mystery Machine. Maze maye a couple but don´t go crazy as they don´t sell that well and we all know how prices tend to peak soon after retirement. JW probably won´t do much till next xmas now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, donbee said:

I've been hoarding architecture, but my area is running dry. So I've been trying to figure out what to buy next.

I still have access to a few SDoo sets, light houses and MMs. And some JW. Most at RRP, except the JW. I can only get that at TRU.

But I've been hesitant to buy a pair of Mazes at 10% off. I can get SDoo Light house for more than 10% off. The other small SDoo sets at 10% off

What about these?
Vader vs Awing at 10% off     - God no, so badly overpriced to start with that 10% off is still way too high
Series 2 SW micro fighters at 10% Not much interest in these on this side of the pond
AT-ST at 10% 

Answered a couple above in red.

I'd go anything Scooby Doo and Jurassic World, also Wall-E and Trevi Fountain.

I think Maze will have an initial bump then drop back like Birds. It's also going to be a harder sell as it had a higher RRP.

• Like 1

Answered a couple above in red.
I'd go anything Scooby Doo and Jurassic World, also Wall-E and Trevi Fountain.
I think Maze will have an initial bump then drop back like Birds. It's also going to be a harder sell as it had a higher RRP.

I'm not thrilled about the Maze. Don't think it'll reach high, but for a quick flip I wouldn't mind. If it'll flip that is.

8 minutes ago, donbee said:

I'm not thrilled about the Maze. Don't think it'll reach high, but for a quick flip I wouldn't mind. If it'll flip that is.

Also, Carbon Freezing Chamber has been widely available at $17.XX and was as low as $12.XX from Jet before Christmas.  I don't know what it was 10% off from, but $17 should be the most you should pay.

• Like 1

Forget everything after "what about these". I´d focus on the two bigger SD sets and Mystery Machine. Maze maye a couple but don´t go crazy as they don´t sell that well and we all know how prices tend to peak soon after retirement. JW probably won´t do much till next xmas now.

I agree regards JW, I think SD will be the same. I think a lot of unknowing parents were caught off guard with the pre Xmas retirement, hence the initial spike, I was shipping out IR and MM at £175 and £110, now IR has plateaued at around £160 and MM £95. As you say, Xmas will be interesting for these sets, and IR easily has 2/3 x RRP capabilities on the proviso Lego don't produce another wave prior the the sequel in June 18. In all honesty I would still buy both at RRP now, but would have to face a 10 month hold to see any real worthy returns.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, donbee said:

AT-ST at 10%

You can still find series 2 here and there but not many. The other two are not retired (75137 & 75153) unless you meant something else -- like the much older versions. Y

From a SW collector standpoint, I would pay RRP for Ewok Village (I'm sure investors would too) but you're not likely to find it. I still look for other recently retired sets and will not pay more than 30% off. i.e. Naboo Starfighter, Final Dual, TIE vs A-Wing

• Like 1

23 hours ago, donbee said:

What about these?
Vader vs Awing at 10% off
Series 2 SW micro fighters at 10%
AT-ST at 10%

Given the bold, I would save your capital for things you can buy on bigger discounts.

• Like 1