Anyone have advice on selling off entire inventory?

So I have been debating selling off pretty much my entire lego inventory. Baby on the way, I could use the space and the cash. I am willing to take a haircut possibly on the inventory, but don't really want to fire sale. What is the best route to bulk sell? I have talked to a few other dealers, tried craigslist etc but have had no luck. I am sure it might be easier to sell online but don't really want to deal with the shipping hassles that would come along with it so I am trying to sell it locally.

4 minutes ago, njseale said:

So I have been debating selling off pretty much my entire lego inventory. Baby on the way, I could use the space and the cash. I am willing to take a haircut possibly on the inventory, but don't really want to fire sale. What is the best route to bulk sell? I have talked to a few other dealers, tried craigslist etc but have had no luck. I am sure it might be easier to sell online but don't really want to deal with the shipping hassles that would come along with it so I am trying to sell it locally.

Are you located in NJ?

7 minutes ago, njseale said:

BrickClassifieds?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, njseale said:

How big is the inventory? That would help us direct you a little more accurately. You aren't going to be able to sell quickly without taking a haircut, and the faster you want to sell, the larger the haircut. Another dealer isn't going to pick it up unless they can make money on it too. To open yourself up to the biggest audience, you have to list on Amazon or Ebay and deal with the hassle or else the haircut will be significant. 

Also, if you take the time to post the listings so that people can buy from you. Contact me.  If you make good deals, I always tell people I will help advertise those good deals and bring attention to it, post on Facebook, etc.   I am not telling you to give it away, but if you make it worth while, people will pay attention.

4 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

BEST LINE OF THE DAY!!!  Everyone like this because this deserves to win!!!

High level saltiness right there.

19 minutes ago, njseale said:

MA/NH border

I didn't see any sort of listings like that so I wasn't sure if it was okay to post a listing like that on there.

Go for it, mate. I live in Boston so I'd definitely be interested.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

How big is the inventory? That would help us direct you a little more accurately. You aren't going to be able to sell quickly without taking a haircut, and the faster you want to sell, the larger the haircut. Another dealer isn't going to pick it up unless they can make money on it too. To open yourself up to the biggest audience, you have to list on Amazon or Ebay and deal with the hassle or else the haircut will be significant. 

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but we are probably talking 200 or so sets from $20 dollar sets to Death Stars. 100% aware of all this. I am already a regular seller, just was wondering if anybody had any tips on moving bulk fast. I am fully aware I will be taking money off the table to do a bulk deal.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

Basically this question has been asked at least 20 times before with hopes of people sending PMs to try and sell their stock.  You already have a FREE.  Let me say that again FREE site called Brick Classifieds.  You are already saving 10+ % on your commission fees.  Take off that 10% savings of your items and spend a day or two or five and load up the site and make deals with people.  If you limit it to a big bulk sale, you are cutting your changes to a very small portion.  Very few people are giong to have 10/20/30+ thousand to offer depending on what you have.  A while back someone sold like 19k worth of lego in like 2 weeks.  Saved thousands on commissions. Just be ready to made a deal that works for you and it will go.  Take advantage of Brick Classifieds now.  It is moving and it may not be FREE much longer.

Sorry, wasn't looking to make ideal here just for some advice. As I said already I am already a regular reseller and have my channels to move product, but was wondering what techniques people have used to find those few people who can/will buy in bulk.

3 minutes ago, TANV said:

High level saltiness right there.

No salt, just love.  Listen, he's sold his "last" Red 5 about a dozen times now.  And he kept saying he "sold off everything but a few gems", which turns out to be about a several hundred units of Architecture/Ideas that still dwarfs the inventory of most people on here.  @TabbyBoy is a valuable member of the BP community and has proven he can both give and take the (british slang term that will probably be blocked) with the best of them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

No salt, just love.  Listen, he's sold his "last" Red 5 about a dozen times now.  And he kept saying he "sold off everything but a few gems", which turns out to be about a several hundred units of Architecture/Ideas that still dwarfs the inventory of most people on here.  @TabbyBoy is a valuable member of the BP community and has proven he can both give and take the (wanker) with the best of them.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 5

If you have multiples of low value sets, you can sell them no box or instructions to Bricklink sellers. That's a quick and easy way to blow out your stinkers.

@njsealeJust my two bits... I recently got a craigslist offer for about $15,000 on most of my inventory. At that pricing, the buyer could have flipped it all for about 10% "instant" profit (....well, maybe in a month or two, depending on his selling platforms). We went 'round and 'round with details etc, until it became clear he could only pay via Paypal.  Of course, Paypal doesn't cover that with buyer / seller protection.  A Paypal rep told me that it is possible for a dishonest person with a Paypal account funded by Amex to make that kind of purchase, then call Amex the next day and say the purchase was unauthorized, merchandise didn't arrive, was fake, etc, and get the money clawed back. Now you might win that in a fight but... who wants to fight?  Basically, the only way to do that kind of sale is with cashiers check (that you witnessed being written) or cash. In the end, we had no deal.  I'm guessing that a real "whale" (one who actual has $15,000 to spend) would probably want to give me more of a haircut the joker I was talking to. Maybe 20% off?

So anyway... with renewed selling attitude I went back to eBay (reading some of the selling on Amazon thread, you'll find that Amazon is not the place to be selling high dollar sets right now). On eBay, I've found you can move product pretty quickly at a fair price. I also love BrickClassifieds and am "double-listing" some items there at better discounts.  My point is, like you, I was hoping to move all this stuff without the work.  And I was willing to lose $1500... (maybe $2000?) to do it that way. But now I'm finding that... willing to take the going rate or a little bit less... I can move 10 or 20 sets a week. And at this rate, I should be able to move it all by the end of the year. Yeah it's a little work, but now the cash is rolling in, it feels great.

Edited by Kenxxx
  • Like 5

I've recently sold alot of my "deadwood" sets that I bought when first started by selling locally. Most were sets i bought way too early / not enough discount / sets that are duds. I've sold for minimal profit / break even as I rather get rid of them now than wait a few years before they retire / go up in price.

Use all sites available that you can to list locally. I'm not sure about USA sites, but in UK you can use things like gumtree / eBay  (local pickup option) / Facebook marketplace.

You need to get in the mindset that some sets will get zero interest, as some sets have very limited appeal to average Joe who lives on your block. So be prepared for low ball offers and people asking for discount.

When you sell a set tell the buyer you've got other sets you'll sell and always have a list in hand with set name / price etc so you can tell them if there interested.

If you aren't willing to ship then unfortunately it's either going to take you a very long time selling locally.

Thanks for all the replies.

I already have an eBay store, and a TRS and sell sets regularly. I also sell at Comic Cons. Probably had 2-3x the inventory I have now at this point 2 years ago. I have been slowly and steadily selling(mostly pre christmas) so I have that avenue covered. I have no problem continuing on this path, but a stack of cash and an empty room with a daughter on the way sounds pretty nice.

• Like 1

Just now, njseale said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I already have an eBay store, and a TRS and sell sets regularly. I also sell at Comic Cons. Probably had 2-3x the inventory I have now at this point 2 years ago. I have been slowly and steadily selling(mostly pre christmas) so I have that avenue covered. I have no problem continuing on this path, but a stack of cash and an empty room with a daughter on the way sounds pretty nice.

In all honesty, that sounds like what @TabbyBoy has and he would be the best person for you to contact