75184 - Star Wars Advent Calendar 2017

Manse1001

I don't really see a problem with this one.  It can't stay honing on the OT and PT's forever.  So, i'm glad they are finally devoting one of these to the new movies.  Plus, the minifigures aren't horrendous, since you can add to the army building for those themes.  

For little kids into these movies, and into the new movie sets this set is going to be a winner to them.  PLUS, if Star Wars is to carry on beyond just Gen X and some millennials, they need to hone on the new stuff and give the kids the new stuff.  The OT wasn't a part of thier generation.

19 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I don't really see a problem with this one.  It can't stay honing on the OT and PT's forever.  So, i'm glad they are finally devoting one of these to the new movies.  Plus, the minifigures aren't horrendous, since you can add to the army building for those themes.  

For little kids into these movies, and into the new movie sets this set is going to be a winner to them.  PLUS, if Star Wars is to carry on beyond just Gen X and some millennials, they need to hone on the new stuff and give the kids the new stuff.  The OT wasn't a part of thier generation.

The problem isn't OT & PT - it's the lack of exclusive/special minifigs. They could have done a Santa Ren, or something (anything) - Imagine if the set had a Santa Leia.

I thought last year was odd that there was no Santa minifig, but at least there were still the 2 decent specials - but this year they give us a freakin hat???

Advent calendars are primarily for children, and children happen to really like BB-8.  I don't see how this is a terrible decision.  Maybe the execution could have been a little better than just slapping a Santa hat on, but the more Santa you make it, the less BB-8 he becomes.

• Like 4

I concur with the general tone of this thread.  I love the SW advent calendars, and have bought them all, but if something doesn't change between now and its release, this may well be the first that I skip.  I don't know what the draw is, but so far it eludes me.  There are so many great candidates yet to be given the santa treatment, that calling this BB-8 effort "lazy" is probably an insult to the term.

Edited by Dr Jedi
  • Like 1

I for one will withhold my judgement until I see the calendar and all 24 builds. I thought last year's calendar was a bit poor before my son started opening it (come on, a white Chewbacca?). But the mini-builds really were quite cool and I think it was a great calendar. The picture above shows 10 out of the 24 minibuilds, so still 14 that could be totally awesome. Just because a few minifigs are not very impressive does not necessarily make it a bad calendar.

• Like 1

Since the mini-builds are just quick/fun/cute builds (buildable w/ spare pieces found around the house) capable of being built just by looking at a picture - Yes, the minifigs are the key to any lasting value/demand for these sets (and LEGO must certainly know this).

To consciously decide to not include any unique aspect with this set is lazy, and cheap - it shows a complete lack of respect/appreciation for the traditionally high quality of the brand.

58867430.jpg

Edited by KShine

I for one will withhold my judgement until I see the calendar and all 24 builds. I thought last year's calendar was a bit poor before my son started opening it (come on, a white Chewbacca?). But the mini-builds really were quite cool and I think it was a great calendar. The picture above shows 10 out of the 24 minibuilds, so still 14 that could be totally awesome. Just because a few minifigs are not very impressive does not necessarily make it a bad calendar.

I think we bought last year's calendar, but then my son opted to do a City calendar from a couple years ago.

I'll let the kids pick again. I'm going to guess the kids will pick Friends and City again this year, though, based on this offering.

3 hours ago, KShine said:

Since the mini-builds are just quick/fun/cute builds (buildable w/ spare pieces found around the house) capable of being built just by looking at a picture - Yes, the minifigs are the key to any lasting value/demand for these sets (and LEGO must certainly know this).

To consciously decide to not include any unique aspect with this set is lazy, and cheap - it shows a complete lack of respect/appreciation for the traditionally high quality of the brand.

But but but the boxart shows a cute Starkiller base that beams out presents to everyone :P:P:P

• Like 1