Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

5 hours ago, Haay said:

Can I sell you 1969 cheese-slopes for US$120 ? ;)  Piece count isn't a good indicator when the majority of pieces are rather small. 

Generally true - But this set is huge, with lots of unique printed parts (and no stickers) - It is a steal at that price.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KShine said:

Generally true - But this set is huge, with lots of unique printed parts (and no stickers) - It is a steal at that price.

This set is a value in more ways than one.  After looking at the overpriced STAR WARS sets at Target yesterday, this set is well worth the price.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

The EAGLE has landed. The box is huge and can see this being an issue for those wanting MISB as it is like an Arch set easily scuffed/damaged due to weight. Going to build this one this weekend not sure about the other 99 ;) 

makes the thumb look so small...

• Like 4

These are HUGE in person and gorgeous!  Totally exceeded my expectations!  They are about the size of the lego city firehouse, maybe an inch more in depth.  Think I will have to get some protective boxes just for these.

Edited by kksold
add size dimentions.
  • Like 1

The closer June 1st comes, the more doubts I get about this being a good investment case. An everybody's-darling set, "limit" of 5 from the start on SAH, Walmart availability (I guess that's what was meant to be taken note of when someone posted a corresponding smartphone screenshot the other day), huge media awareness. Could this well become Exo Suit repeated? Or even worse - Death Star/ T1 repeated? Everybody knows that Ideas sets have a "built-in" limited lifespan. But there is also a fist time - see DS again. No one keeps Lego from agreeing diifferently about the/this NASA license any time compared to previous licensed sets. Maybe they start a whole NASA theme shortly. The moon landing anniversary is in 2019 by the way, so 2 years of shelf life seems to be a given in any case.

Availability in shops and production runs will be the key parameters. The price point may mean it sells in smaller numbers than the other Ideas sets and it may not be so popular in Europe.

Buy-in will be the deciding factor for me in addition to the above two.

I've been calling ToysRus every couple days thusfar as we get closer to official release date, as a Floridian, the closet store to have this was in ATL,Georgia that had stock to sell. :(  My closet store had Wall-e on its release date.  So I'm hoping they'll pull through.

I tried calling LegoLand in Lakeland, they didn't return my calls. Lol.  They did previously when I was looking for the Ghostbusters set so oh well on that route.

Edited by Klownicle

In the UK this is available to order on the John Lewis website. Not sure if it's actually in stock for delivery as I didn't go as far as ordering one (have SAH VIP points I want to use). Strange that it's seemingly available though, when it's not released on SAH until 1st June.

Another thing: why no early VIP access on this set? Especially when it has already been released in other parts of the world.

49 minutes ago, Klownicle said:

I've been calling ToysRus every couple days thusfar as we get closer to official release date, as a Floridian, the closet store to have this was in ATL,Georgia that had stock to sell. :(  My closet store had Wall-e on its release date.  So I'm hoping they'll pull through.

I tried calling LegoLand in Lakeland, they didn't return my calls. Lol.  They did previously when I was looking for the Ghostbusters set so oh well on that route.

which ATL store? i dont see the 21309 even listed on TRU site

5 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

which ATL store? i dont see the 21309 even listed on TRU site

2955 Cobb Pkwy SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30339. They had two.

673419277150 is the UPC, call and ask tho I got a woman on the phone that didn't seem to know how to use the system.  I've called many stores and all were able to find it, just few in stock yet.

Edited by Klownicle

3 minutes ago, Klownicle said:

A lot of luck in the air then, I wasn't the only one, found out online from others.  Lol. Won't stop me from trying.

there is no harm in trying, the worst thing they can say is no. they could have very well didn't put a hard stop on it in the system. it has happened before. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Since it's now UNexclusive (available at John Lewis), I'm now not bothering to get one upon release. I'll wait for the inevitable 3-for-2 or high % discounts. I've heard Smyths are getting it too ;-(

12 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Since it's now UNexclusive (available at John Lewis), I'm now not bothering to get one upon release. I'll wait for the inevitable 3-for-2 or high % discounts. I've heard Smyths are getting it too ;-(

As of now one should really watch out not to literally burn their fingers on this thing ('s thrusters). Even more than Exo-Suit reloaded this one might become The Tumbler reloaded - looking like the surest investment case in the world (for just everybody) at first, but then something else happens ...

58 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

As of now one should really watch out not to literally burn their fingers on this thing ('s thrusters). Even more than Exo-Suit reloaded this one might become The Tumbler reloaded - looking like the surest investment case in the world (for just everybody) at first, but then something else happens ...

Yup, it´s Yellow Submarine all over again. I see many shops already stocking it so game over for any quick flip potential.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V