Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

Got two in the mail yesterday from Amazon. Seal 20R7.

21S7 on the shelf at John Lewis in Reading this morning, it was hidden behind a rotting and badly torn Ghostbusters HQ. I didn't buy as I've ordered on through a friend there. I'll post the seal code on mine when it arrives this Monday.

Edited by TabbyBoy

7 hours ago, Villager Chris said:

Arrived today from SAH. Disappointed with the box condition. Build it or send it back? Am I being fussy?

BTW seal code is 12S7

I'd build that ****, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the box condition. That being said, my personal opinion is that you are dealing with relatively minor damage. I've seen worse on store shelves. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:53 AM, Villager Chris said:
Arrived today from SAH. Disappointed with the box condition. Build it or send it back? Am I being fussy?
BTW seal code is 12S7

Depends - if you intend to sell on then could be worth it. If its for personal consumption I would make contact with customer services about it but not necessarily demand an exchange. Mine was very slightly squashed. LEGO Shop at Home offered an exchange, but I thought this uneccesary and suggested some other form of compensation would be appropriate. They gave me €10 worth of VIP points, I was happy with that outcome and don't have to wait to build the set :)

7 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Why is everyone talking about seal codes already? This set isn't a limited edition / numbered edition set etc, it'll be out just like other idea sets for at least one year.

Probably because of the serious supply issues. Seems TLG are churning them out in the states yet here it is TOOS.

33 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Why is everyone talking about seal codes already? This set isn't a limited edition / numbered edition set etc, it'll be out just like other idea sets for at least one year.

not all ideas sets are out for year(s).  Research institute was  only available officially for 4 months.  mars rover cuusoo was available for even less than that.

i don't think anyone can say with any certainty how long a set will and won't be made.

certainly visions of mars rover is fueling some of the demand.  

serendipity favors the well stocked storage room.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Retailers seem to be well stocked up every few days, but LEGO isn't. Different seal codes too, WTF?

This set is either small short runs or will be available everywhere soon stacked up high for a very long time like Ecto1 was.

LEGO are messing with us, there's no doubt about that.

I personally think that this will be available for years as it's the hottest IDEAS set since Mars Rover and LEGO failed to milk it the last time. Investors need not rush IMHO.

Retailers seem to be well stocked up every few days, but LEGO isn't. Different seal codes too, WTF?
This set is either small short runs or will be available everywhere soon stacked up high for a very long time like Ecto1 was.
I personally think that this will be available for years as it's the hottest IDEAS set since Mars Rover and LEGO failed to milk it the last time. Investors need not rush IMHO.

Speaking of WTF - I read yesterday that World Taekwondo Federation had to change their name because of the acronym. Too funny
  • Like 6

Westfield is OOS and they seem to not be clearly certain when they will have stock resupply, still few boxes left in Leicester, Stratford is DRY as well at the moment.

So situation is getting even more ridiculous  :)

P.S nothing in the newly re-opened Flagship Store in Berlin.

Was yesterday in LEGOLAND Germany (Günzburg) - they had one on the shelves that I have bought. As I was there with my wife and two friends of mine we were able to even buy four of them, but they had to bring them from magazine and had not much left there...

The seller mentioned that this is the most hottest set by far at the moment...

14 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think that everyone is forgetting that LEGO has transitioned to just-in-time production over the last couple of years.  5 years ago, they would have slotted production capacity months in advance and made 50,000 copies, and if they sold out it would be ~6 months before they could squeeze in another production slot.  Now, LEGO can shift production lines between sets quickly, so they can make 5,000 a week to carefully control supply (i.e. avoid full distribution warehouses).   This is a smart way to avoid overstock.  However, it means that many different sets get packaged every week and when there is a fast seller like this one, the weekly capacity only has a limited flexibility to it.  In other words, they can't (won't) stop producing all other sets in demand just to make more of this one.   At some point, demand and supply will equalize and it will be more easily available at retail.   I imagine that this set may set the record for the most number of different seal codes, when it finally retires.

Oh, and Villager - build the set.  Its awesome!

Edited by DadsAFOL
  • Like 4

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V