A brickpicker bites the dust? A ton on craigslist (Maryland)

brickvoyeur

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

Yeah, but how many people involved in reselling Lego have that amount of money to drop on the full lot, especially in the UK. Can't imagine there's more than a handful. Someone probably got the bargain of the century with the full lot.

It depends on how much of it was crap. There was a lot of Red 5 X-Wings, Helicarriers, Porsches, Simpson Houses, TIE Fighters, Slave 1, Ewok Villages, etc. which won't sell for RRP for a long time, if ever. If it was all stuff that I believed in, I'd have cashed in my pension, gone to "bank-of-stepmum" and struck a deal ;-)

I just hope that the buyer checked the lot properly.

It depends on how much of it was crap. There was a lot of Red 5 X-Wings, Helicarriers, Porsches, Simpson Houses, TIE Fighters, Slave 1, Ewok Villages, etc. which won't sell for RRP for a long time, if ever. If it was all stuff that I believed in, I'd have cashed in my pension, gone to "bank-of-stepmum" and struck a deal ;-)

Sounds like he cracked.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, KShine said:

FYI, I would be open to considering bids - starting at around 300k (I know, I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon).

I wonder how many other BP'ers would be willing to sell their entire stash at a reasonable price (and never look back).

I would.  I'm in this for the money!  All at once saves tons of time and gas and money, so worth a haircut.  Better bring a semi to move it all though.

16 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Not saying it applies here, but there are other reasons why a BPer might want to sell their stash at once. Especially in the US. I'm thinking of what happened to @diablo2112. And I know of a few folks who had to sell most of what they had due to relocations etc.

Yeah, I´m thinking the same. If they were all sets that retired a long time ago, I could understand it but some were recent.

Plus auction means need for urgent cash.

Edited by Val-E

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yeah, I´m thinking the same. If they were all sets that retired a long time ago, I could understand it but some were recent.

Plus auction means need for urgent cash.

Yeah, but if he sold his SSDs and 10179s for RRP, he could have just listed at triple/double RRP respectively and probably raised a similar amount of money and kept all the still-appreciating assets.  What was the point of hoarding all those 10179s to dump them at RRP?  Unless Bricktop or Bullet Tooth Tony were coming after him for the cash tomorrow, that seems like a really stupid way to liquidate your assets, even in a hurry.  The Craigslist fire sale that is the reason for this post was far more profitable, though clearly not to scale.  But he'd have investors and collectors all over the UK driving hours to come pickup sets at those prices...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Yeah, but if he sold his SSDs and 10179s for RRP, he could have just listed at triple/double RRP respectively and probably raised a similar amount of money and kept all the still-appreciating assets.  What was the point of hoarding all those 10179s to dump them at RRP?  Unless Bricktop or Bullet Tooth Tony were coming after him for the cash tomorrow, that seems like a really stupid way to liquidate your assets, even in a hurry.  The Craigslist fire sale that is the reason for this post was far more profitable, though clearly not to scale.  But he'd have investors and collectors all over the UK driving hours to come pickup sets at those prices...

Maybe @TabbyBoy can fill in the blanks. Perhaps it was not the seller´s choice to do it this way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

You forgot to add this

61660a4ce55c36c02bb2df83ed069feb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2017 at 4:35 AM, Sprocket77 said:

Yeah, but how many people involved in reselling Lego have that amount of money to drop on the full lot, especially in the UK. Can't imagine there's more than a handful. Someone probably got the bargain of the century with the full lot.

Of they just took on what they assumed to be an investment that is actually a declining liability because of the issues facing LEGO currently.

red 5, ewok selling for more than RRP

just sayin
  • Like 3