10257 - Carousel

siddji

2 hours ago, KShine said:

Than it really is all over, we should all just pack it up - and hope that maybe one day, LEGO will stop dancing on our graves.

Yeah guys, let's all pack it up and leave.  This is over.  I'll see you at the Funkopicker.com next week lol.

Everything has to be the bubble thread now, doesn't it...I hear they're making another fire truck.  DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

The set list I saw in early March had it slated for the fall with no price as I posted in the Fairground thread. Not sure why the bump up maybe they didn't want to do back to back months with remakes. 

Any other particular mentions? 

41 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

This really screws the folks that bought the original in the past couple of years for top dollar.

They won't make that mistake again, which is bad news for all of us.

I am amazed that so many just don't seem to get that this is a problem.

Then again, I would also assume that LEGO would appreciate having their products capable of being viewed as high priced collectibles (which apparently they don't) - so what do I know?

I am amazed that so many just don't seem to get that this is a problem.
Then again, I would also assume that LEGO would appreciate having their products capable of being viewed as high priced collectibles (which apparently they don't) - so what do I know?

Oh, I get that this is a problem for reseller, without a doubt.

But LEGO has proven time and again they view themselves as a children's toy company and not a collectible.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Oh, I get that this is a problem for reseller, without a doubt.

But LEGO has proven time and again they view themselves as a children's toy company and not a collectible.

But as they lose that "value" aspect, they will become a much less successful children's toy company.

Edited by KShine

3 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

Here's the thing though - it's probably going to look completely different! Is that a problem? 

Honestly, the old one does look dated, and the new one could look great. My concerns are more about the general trend, and it's impact.

LEGO certainly has the right to do things as they choose. I just believe (in the long run) that they are doing harm to themselves. 

Honestly, the old one does look dated, and the new one could look great. My concerns are more about the general trend, and it's impact.
LEGO certainly has the right to do things as they choose. I just believe (in the long run) that they are doing harm to themselves. 

Well, the big question here is - is this a reissue or something new?

So far, we've seen the Death Star and Winter Village Toy Shop as two sets that were reissues. We don't know about this or the UCS MF. If both are reissues then LEGO is officially out of ideas.

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Well, the big question here is - is this a reissue or something new?

So far, we've seen the Death Star and Winter Village Toy Shop as two sets that were reissues. We don't know about this or the UCS MF. If both are reissues then LEGO is officially out of ideas.

Don't forget get about us my friend:

#UCSSNOWSPEEDER

#UCSXWING

#SANDCRAWLER

#ARCHBURJKHALIFA

#ARCHGUGGENHEIM

Guest TabbyBoy

There can also be other sneaky remakes like the 8041 and 42041 Race Trucks which are identical with no cheese slopes! If anybody has a nice mint Technic set of the 8xxx era, put your thinking cap on?

If LEGO is really running out of ideas, it's time to add at least one cheese slope to their design team.

If we outnumber end users and now only buy at >50% off, the shelves will be full for a long time.

Yeah, sometimes it is hard to draw the line at what is a plain reissue and what is a remake/reboot (with visual or under-the-skin improvements).

For me, 42041, 75105 mF , 75159 DS and 10249 WTS fall into the first category and should therefore be despised by resellers.

Other stuff like 75059 Sandcrawler, 75144 Snowspeeder, 10252 Beetle and the architecture sets really are improvements that collectors would probably be happy to own as well as the original.

10240 Red 5 falls somewhere in between the two.

I agree with @KShine that it´s the buyers´ perception that matters. If they perceive that Lego are consistently making the sets they missed out on available again then they are less likely to pay top dollar for the older one. It´s a vicious circle as then the prices go down and the previously warranted justification to their significant other for dropping a 4 figure sum on one set - that Lego never loses value,  also loses credence.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

It's a vicious circle as then the prices go down and the previously warranted justification to their significant other for dropping a 4 figure sum on one set - that Lego never loses value,  also loses credence.

This sums it up right here.   On top of that the counterfeits only make matters worse.

When I got back into Legos after taking an investment break in 2008, I was watching ebay auctions like a hawk waiting for BIN amount on older sets that I for sure would not lose money on if I bought them and resold them at current market value minus ebay fees and shipping.   I was extrememly justified in the high cost as I knew that the prices would not go down.

Well the SSD I bought at a screaming price of 800 MISB back in 1/16 is now worth at best 800-850 sealed now, with many selling sub $800.  I lucked out and sold mine at $900 when i felt the tide turning and only lost about $30 after fees and shipping as the buyer lived a couple hours from me keeping shipping low.  If they lived in WA I woulda died.  I did the same with any significantly priced higher set,  cashing out with a minor loss,  back when I bought them,  the price i paid seemed nearly bulletproof. 

The point being is that the justification for paying the sky high prices is now gone, given that the market is no longer a "sure" thing.   There are significant cracks in the wall that are forming, with a potential dam about to break.   

While the golden oldies (Taj, 10179, GC, etc.) will always hold significant value due to the rarity and the fact some collectors just have to have the original, nothing moving forward will ever remotely produce returns like previous and based on buy in will likely not be worth the time to deal with in regards to storage and shipping and listing.  It could be conceivably possible to lose money...  something previously unheard of in Lego investing unless you just went off the rails with RRP Chima.

• Like 4

That´s the problem with speculating. If you invest in something because you can get it at a lower price than the reference (RRP) and the product is in demand then you should be safe and turn a profit provided the lower price is not maintained for long or too widespread. The set will seem fairly priced compared with other alternatives on the market.

Investing by  speculating that a set will appreciate over and above the reference price once it is no longer commercially available due to scarcity and the "emotional value" that people put on owning it worked up until 2015 but is no longer viable, in my view. It´s even riskier with Lego when the whole point is that  the value of the set is greater than the sum of the parts plus now you can get remakes from Lego themselves or from the Chinese cloners, if it´s not that then you´ll find 100 plus listings on Amazon with everyone undercuttting each other by 1 cent with their automatic pricing programs.

It used to be that people listed rare sets at auction to get a higher price than a BIN as demand outstripped supply, but right now auctions are a road to ruin.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Is it possible we can stay on topic on threads and put the doom and gloom of Lego investment where it belongs?  It is getting tiresome reading the same rhetoric over and over on so many threads.

In all fairness, when discussing the possible re-release of a classic, high value set, where do you think the conversation is going to gravitate towards? If this were say Eurobricks, or Brickset, then the discussion might have a much more positive spin, but since it's an investment centric board, and details are sparse, people are nervous. That nervousness tends to get filled with worse case speculation. Soon we will have more solid details and the worst case speculation will get replaced with irrational hatred, bitter disappointment, or unrealistic performance expectations. Hasn't that been the pattern for a couple years now at least?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Is it possible we can stay on topic on threads and put the doom and gloom of Lego investment where it belongs?  It is getting tiresome reading the same rhetoric over and over on so many threads.

Since this thread is about a set that is a rumor, that can't be seen/evaluated based on it's attributes, and we are primarily a group of people who invest in LEGO - I am not so sure that these discussions can (or should) be avoided.

I would actually love to see and have a beautifully updated Carousel set.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Mods... Would it be worth having a "Letting Off Steam" or "LEGO made me lose my shirt, wife, house, car, kids and dog" thread for some of the cantankerous old farts like me and then have it set so that only those wishing to rant can view and post? Just a thought...

Mods... Would it be worth having a "Letting Off Steam" or "LEGO made me lose my shirt, wife, house, car, kids and dog" thread for some of the cantankerous old farts like me and then have it set so that only those wishing to rant can view and post? Just a thought...

Isn't that what the Bubble thread is for?
  • Like 1