Stores that acknowledge reseller certificates

I've recently been granted my sales tax certificate for resale so that I can purchase items without paying sales tax. I've found that there are some stores that this is a great savings and/or avoidance of headaches, but not all stores accept it.

Here's the list that I currently have of stores that have accepted my tax certificate:

• Walmart
  • Amazon
  • Best Buy

Here's the list that I've tried and they just give me funny looks (they're used to seeing educational/non-profit tax exempt forms, but not resale)

• Toys R Us
  • Target
  • Barnes & Noble
  • KMart

Does anyone else have experience with this that could add to the list or make suggestions on how to get the others to allow it?

Also, since I'm new to the sales tax collection/filing, it's been my assumption that I can just submit the receipts at tax time and get a reimbursement of the sales tax spent. Am I off in thinking this?

Target no longer accepts these certificates

toys r us:  shouldn't be an issue. The register has a function specifically for that 

BN : I am not aware they changed their policy but they used to accept it 

kmart : they used to but all the stores around me closed so I don't know :) 

all of the above apply to instore purchases .  

Online : BN needs some sweet talking . Target and tru don't accept those afaik 

regarding the last part of your post, u need to look into your state's tax rules . 

12 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

toys r us:  shouldn't be an issue. The register has a function specifically for that 

BN : I am not aware they changed their policy but they used to accept it 

kmart : they used to but all the stores around me closed so I don't know :) 

regarding the last part of your post, u need to look into your state's tax rules . 

I'll have to try TRU again this week. It will probably depend on who I talk to. Since I'm out in the sticks, they likely don't see too many resellers in this area. They did pull out a non-profit tax form though when I asked about it.

The others will have to attempt again next time I'm in. Will try to do it on a day when they don't have anything I want to buy. They gave me funny looks when I had my Lego already in hand at checkout asking for tax exempt.

NY tax rules appear to allow a refund of sales tax that's been "accidentally" paid. I need to find out what that means, but I believe that applies if I am exempt from needing to pay. My tax guy is 80 and deals primarily with farmers. He already said he doesn't know :)

6 hours ago, SageFly said:

Also, since I'm new to the sales tax collection/filing, it's been my assumption that I can just submit the receipts at tax time and get a reimbursement of the sales tax spent. Am I off in thinking this?

It depends on what state you're in.  Some states will give sales tax refunds to anyone with a resale certificate and some are more restrictive.  I am aware of one state that only gives refunds to non-profits.