Advice

Cabrwife

Question

Hello. I'm new here and seeking some advice. My son is wanting to sell some of his Legos. I am having a yard sale this coming weekend and am trying to decide whether or not to add them in the sale.

He has various product lines--space police, alien conquest, Star Wars etc. They are in tubs but I'm not sure if all the tubs are sorted by product line and all the pieces are there. Some manuals are available. These tubs were used just to keep different lines separated. Sizes of the tubs vary from shoe box size and 25qt.

Should I cut my losses and sell them as is at a yard sale? If so, what would be a good price?

Or clean/sort and potentially rebuild them or sell by bulk?

Thank you for the advice.

10 answers to this question

It is a loaded question and no way many of us can give you an accurate figure.  For the most part, I would say you will need to try to get what will make you happy.  With a yard sale, people are already looking for a bargain basement price.  I would not expect to get anything close to market value unless you have all the pieces, boxes, etc so that people know what they are getting.

15 minutes ago, Cabrwife said:

Hello. I'm new here and seeking some advice. My son is wanting to sell some of his Legos. I am having a yard sale this coming weekend and am trying to decide whether or not to add them in the sale.

He has various product lines--space police, alien conquest, Star Wars etc. They are in tubs but I'm not sure if all the tubs are sorted by product line and all the pieces are there. Some manuals are available. These tubs were used just to keep different lines separated. Sizes of the tubs vary from shoe box size and 25qt.

Should I cut my losses and sell them as is at a yard sale? If so, what would be a good price?

Or clean/sort and potentially rebuild them or sell by bulk?

Thank you for the advice.

You tend to get more for complete sets, less for bulk. If it was all sorted by them with parts, figures and manuals and people knew what they were buying that would help. 

Space Police and Alien Conquest sets don't command a premium on the secondary market. Star Wars, depending on the set, does. In order to get the most out of the collection you will need to put some time in sorting and putting together what's there to see if it's complete or not. If you don't have the time to invest then selling it all as one large bulk lot as is will probably be your best solution, but won't bring as much money as separating the sets. 

What are the set numbers on the manuels? By knowing what's there to begin with we can let you know if you have any desirable sets worth pulling out and separating. Also, some pictures of the bulk lot would help as well because then we might be able to distinguish certain pieces that go to certain sets.

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 1

Here is a little more info...

Power Miners 8962 8961 8960 8707 8188 8957

Agents

Space Police 5970 5973 5972

Kingdoms 7950 7949 7188 and a larger piece that ends with 47 (I cut off the first half when taking the pic)

Prince of Persia  7572 7573

Star Wars (large tub on bottom of second pic with green tub on it--half full)--Pic #3 is above shot of tub

Alien Conquest

Racers

Creator

Indiana Jones

I'm sure there are more manuals as I did not dig through all the tubs.  I was trying to give y'all a little more information to go off of.  Thank you all for your advice.  It is appreciated.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999 (1).JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

Thank you to all that have replied. I think I am going to try my luck online instead of the yard sale. I'd like to get as much as I can for my son.
Thanks again. This is a great community.

Good luck with the collection. Sorting through bulk can be time consuming, but often times worth it.

Where are you located? There might be a local picker on the site willing to help assess what you have and offer a fair price for it. Just a thought.