Jump to content

The Parenting Thread - let's talk about our kids here

Recommended Posts

Alpinemaps    10,840

Hi all - 

I've noticed a lot of talk about kids, their likes and dislikes, complaints, and all sorts of other things, seeping into a bunch of other topics.  So, why don't we all just talk about them here?

I'll start moving some posts here.  We've been talking everything from Minecraft, to potty training, to Thomas the Tank trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Saturday I accidentally allowed my daughter to eat something that she was allergic to. Spent hours in urgent care fretting and worrying for her. She's ok now, but it felt like my own stupidity working against me. I had also been taking care of my parent's cats at their house while they were out of town. With everything that happened on Saturday, I didn't get over there to check on them. On Sunday when I arrived I discovered that I had closed the door of the room that had their food, water and litterboxes when I left on Friday. Yet another dummy thing. Today I dropped my kindle and fractured the screen making part of the touch screen nonfunctional.

 

I'm tired of being my own worst enemy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

On Saturday I accidentally allowed my daughter to eat something that she was allergic to.

I can relate.  One of my most intense, i.e., stupid moments of parenting was when I had to inject my anaphylactic 3yo with an epi-pen after I gave him chocolate with hazelnuts.

I'm glad she's ok.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue the parenting theme to the complaint thread...

I had one of my most boneheaded parent moments over the weekend.  I dressed my currently potty training two year old Saturday morning to go out shopping.  While we were at Michaels, my son grabbed his crotch and indicated he had to pee.  So I checked his diaper to see if it was a future or past event.  No diaper.  I picked him up and rushed to the bathroom...as he started peeing his pants.  So close!  I then had to clean him up and stuff paper towels in his pants to dry things up until we could get to the car to clean up properly and change pants.  Luckily they were pants with a liner and it wasn't very visible from the outside what he'd done.  How did I put his pants on without realizing he didn't have a diaper on?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
To continue the parenting theme to the complaint thread...
I had one of my most boneheaded parent moments over the weekend.  I dressed my currently potty training two year old Saturday morning to go out shopping.  While we were at Michaels, my son grabbed his crotch and indicated he had to pee.  So I checked his diaper to see if it was a future or past event.  No diaper.  I picked him up and rushed to the bathroom...as he started peeing his pants.  So close!  I then had to clean him up and stuff paper towels in his pants to dry things up until we could get to the car to clean up properly and change pants.  Luckily they were pants with a liner and it wasn't very visible from the outside what he'd done.  How did I put his pants on without realizing he didn't have a diaper on?


Hahaha! If that's the worst that you do, you'll be fine.

My 5 year old is still doing diapers at night (despite being potty trained at all other times, he's just a heavy sleeper). There were nights where I'd forget to put on a diaper and I'd wake up in the morning to having to change his whole bed.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil B    6,589
3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

 


Hahaha! If that's the worst that you do, you'll be fine.

My 5 year old is still doing diapers at night (despite being potty trained at all other times, he's just a heavy sleeper). There were nights where I'd forget to put on a diaper and I'd wake up in the morning to having to change his whole bed.

 

IKEA must love you if you keep a spare supply of beds around just for that purpose ....

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

IKEA must love you if you keep a spare supply of beds around just for that purpose ....

 

download (3).jpg

Edited by Sprocket77
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregpj    5,549
To continue the parenting theme to the complaint thread...
I had one of my most boneheaded parent moments over the weekend.  I dressed my currently potty training two year old Saturday morning to go out shopping.  While we were at Michaels, my son grabbed his crotch and indicated he had to pee.  So I checked his diaper to see if it was a future or past event.  No diaper.  I picked him up and rushed to the bathroom...as he started peeing his pants.  So close!  I then had to clean him up and stuff paper towels in his pants to dry things up until we could get to the car to clean up properly and change pants.  Luckily they were pants with a liner and it wasn't very visible from the outside what he'd done.  How did I put his pants on without realizing he didn't have a diaper on?


Just wait until you're out and about and they tell you they need to poo RIGHT NOW which yeah, is RIGHT NOW... you'll be praying for a bathroom with the disposable hand towel paper instead of the warm air hand dryers because you inevitably forgot the backup supplies at home... if you remember them, you won't need them. :)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

To continue the parenting theme to the complaint thread...

I had one of my most boneheaded parent moments over the weekend.  I dressed my currently potty training two year old Saturday morning to go out shopping.  While we were at Michaels, my son grabbed his crotch and indicated he had to pee.  So I checked his diaper to see if it was a future or past event.  No diaper.  I picked him up and rushed to the bathroom...as he started peeing his pants.  So close!  I then had to clean him up and stuff paper towels in his pants to dry things up until we could get to the car to clean up properly and change pants.  Luckily they were pants with a liner and it wasn't very visible from the outside what he'd done.  How did I put his pants on without realizing he didn't have a diaper on?

If that's the worst thing that's going to happen to you, then you're doing ok? Why would you stick a diaper on him, just curious, we're in the middle of potty training at the moment. And if that isn't taking a thread off topic, what is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gregpj said:

 

 

 


Just wait until you're out and about and they tell you they need to poo RIGHT NOW which yeah, is RIGHT NOW... you'll be praying for a bathroom with the disposable hand towel paper instead of the warm air hand dryers because you inevitably forgot the backup supplies at home... if you remember them, you won't need them. :)

 

 

Our 5-year old did that a couple times, but I can't recall her having an accident with #2 (thank goodness!)  We did have an incident where I had to wash the car seat because we couldn't find a restroom fast enough.

3 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

If that's the worst thing that's going to happen to you, then you're doing ok? Why would you stick a diaper on him, just curious, we're in the middle of potty training at the moment. And if that isn't taking a thread off topic, what is.

13 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:


Hahaha! If that's the worst that you do, you'll be fine.

 

 

Not the worst, merely very boneheaded.  And we are in the early stages of potty training so leaving the house without one would be asking for trouble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Hahaha! If that's the worst that you do, you'll be fine.

My 5 year old is still doing diapers at night (despite being potty trained at all other times, he's just a heavy sleeper). There were nights where I'd forget to put on a diaper and I'd wake up in the morning to having to change his whole bed.

 

My almost-5 year old is in the same boat. I keep hoping one night he'll magically wake up dry. The nighttime pull-up purchases are eating into my Lego funds! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
My almost-5 year old is in the same boat. I keep hoping one night he'll magically wake up dry. The nighttime pull-up purchases are eating into my Lego funds! 


I've discovered it's something about 5 year old boys. He's been potty trained for a couple of years, but I still have to buy diapers twice a year for nighttime.

Other friends we have with 5 year old boys report the same - they just don't wake up at night. I think they play so hard during the day that they're too tired to wake up at night.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I've discovered it's something about 5 year old boys. He's been potty trained for a couple of years, but I still have to buy diapers twice a year for nighttime.

Other friends we have with 5 year old boys report the same - they just don't wake up at night. I think they play so hard during the day that they're too tired to wake up at night.

 

My daughter was fully potty-trained in less than a week when she was 2 1/2 years old. We started potty-training my son at the same age but with different results. My wife says that girls are smarter than boys. I decided not to fight that battle. :derisive:

You're only buying diapers twice a year for nighttime? Are they uber-Costco size boxes??

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oneknightr said:

My daughter was fully potty-trained in less than a week when she was 2 1/2 years old. We started potty-training my son at the same age but with different results. My wife says that girls are smarter than boys. I decided not to fight that battle. :derisive:

You're only buying diapers twice a year for nighttime? Are they uber-Costco size boxes??

Similar girl experience.  My daughter was potty trained and didn't need night time diapers at just over 2 1/2.  She probably wet the bed 4 times total.  I'm hoping my son follows a similar trajectory, but I've heard they are less interested and take longer.  I'd really like to stop buying diapers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
My daughter was fully potty-trained in less than a week when she was 2 1/2 years old. We started potty-training my son at the same age but with different results. My wife says that girls are smarter than boys. I decided not to fight that battle. :derisive:
You're only buying diapers twice a year for nighttime? Are they uber-Costco size boxes??


We've been in size 6 diapers for over a year now. There's something like 150-175 of them in a box. So, that gets us somewhere near 300-350 in a year.

My daughter was the same - about a week and she was done. My son was pretty much the same, it's just the overnights, and just that one diaper.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

 

 


We've been in size 6 diapers for over a year now. There's something like 150-175 of them in a box. So, that gets us somewhere near 300-350 in a year.

My daughter was the same - about a week and she was done. My son was pretty much the same, it's just the overnights, and just that one diaper.

 

Do you take him in to go to the bathroom before you go to bed? I used to do that with my girls so they wouldn't wake up at night. Before I went to bed at 11, I'd take them into the bathroom and let them go before putting them back to bed. Also I tried cutting out drinks after dinner time. I make them go to the bathroom right before bed too. This is mostly to prevent them waking up in the middle of the night and getting into my bed, but usually they woke up because they had to pee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregpj    5,549
Do you take him in to go to the bathroom before you go to bed? I used to do that with my girls so they wouldn't wake up at night. Before I went to bed at 11, I'd take them into the bathroom and let them go before putting them back to bed. Also I tried cutting out drinks after dinner time. I make them go to the bathroom right before bed too. This is mostly to prevent them waking up in the middle of the night and getting into my bed, but usually they woke up because they had to pee.


Just to add my two cents... we had some trouble with the younger one who was totally potty trained when awaken but wouldn't give up peeing in his overnight diaper as he woke up (warm to the touch). So we put him in underwear underneath the diaper... the cold wet feeling helped quite a bit to squash that habit. :) Just make sure the entire undie is covered or it'll leak!!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
22 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Do you take him in to go to the bathroom before you go to bed? I used to do that with my girls so they wouldn't wake up at night. Before I went to bed at 11, I'd take them into the bathroom and let them go before putting them back to bed. Also I tried cutting out drinks after dinner time. I make them go to the bathroom right before bed too. This is mostly to prevent them waking up in the middle of the night and getting into my bed, but usually they woke up because they had to pee.

Yep, we did that technique with both kids.  Been doing that for awhile.  Even the "you'll get some reward if you don't pee."  Doesn't help.  He'll grow out of it, he's just got to get himself there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yep, we did that technique with both kids.  Been doing that for awhile.  Even the "you'll get some reward if you don't pee."  Doesn't help.  He'll grow out of it, he's just got to get himself there.

We did as well. We've given up on trying different methods. He'll figure it out eventually...we hope. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
56 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

We did as well. We've given up on trying different methods. He'll figure it out eventually...we hope. 

I think he just overdoes live.  lol  He is very active.  Between just normal playing, and sports, he wears himself out, and sleeps very soundly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CM4Sci said:

That looks so boring

How can anyone like LEGO Minecraft.. I'm sorry if you do but that looks soooo bad

it appears young kids like it.  i can't understand why my 7 yr old would build minecraft lego over pretty much every other theme.  his grandparents buy this theme for it.  i refuse out of stubbornness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpinemaps    10,840
20 hours ago, jaisonline said:

it appears young kids like it.  i can't understand why my 7 yr old would build minecraft lego over pretty much every other theme.  his grandparents buy this theme for it.  i refuse out of stubbornness.

Just curious - does your 7 year old play Minecraft?

My kids haven't ever been exposed to playing Minecraft.  I found a cheap MC set at Kmart one day, the 5 year old wanted it, and I picked it up.  He got about 1/3 of the way done and pushed it aside.

Give him a SW set, or a Super Hero set, and he's all over those.  Even when he's self building, he's not using blocky bricks, but mixing it up with just about everything else.

I'm with you, though.  I'm not a fan of the theme.  I don't like the blockiness.  I steer clear of it for the kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, Alpinemaps said:

Just curious - does your 7 year old play Minecraft?

My kids haven't ever been exposed to playing Minecraft.  I found a cheap MC set at Kmart one day, the 5 year old wanted it, and I picked it up.  He got about 1/3 of the way done and pushed it aside.

Give him a SW set, or a Super Hero set, and he's all over those.  Even when he's self building, he's not using blocky bricks, but mixing it up with just about everything else.

I'm with you, though.  I'm not a fan of the theme.  I don't like the blockiness.  I steer clear of it for the kids.

He plays the iOS version from couple times per week.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×