Modular Pricing

Devo

Curiosity question.....I have been searching ebay for the past few months trying to find modulars (specifically a town hall) I have noticed a few things that I am curious about. How are individuals selling current modulars at 30-40 dollars below retail? I have been following one seller and they list a modular (like detectives office) at auction....been selling around 125-135 and offering free shipping on top. Am I missing a modular sell somewhere? How can they be making money on selling this way (legally of course)? Just thought I would ask......MODS please move if not an appropriate forum.

You do see modulars on sale once in a while, but I'd hazard a guess they're utilizing some giftcard magic and cashback options to get their prices down enough that they can make $5 on a sale. Hard to comprehend why anyone would bother for such tiny margins, but I suppose those margins are still better than putting the money in a bank. They may also be a Lego employee, or know one personally. I believe they get 30% off everything. 

It can also be a way to spend money to get things like credit card perks. Some credit card churners get some awesome perks once they hit a minimum spend. If that minimum spend is thousands of dollars, buying a somewhat big ticket item like this and breaking even or making close to nothing can help subsidize the churn.....

• Like 2

Appreciate all the posts.....always good to learn  new things.....I teach high school so I am always telling my students life is about learning. Wish I taught a business class....would have some great discussions about lego.....and why the classroom needs a town hall :) 

Edited by Devo

54 minutes ago, waddamon said:

The dream lives on. I'll forever kick myself for returning 8, due to minor corner creasing to Target.

That would hurt a bit.......I would take one that has a crushed box/imaginary box/tie dyed box....