Lego 10179 Milennium Falcon CDN2700

Hi fellow Brickpickers

This is my first post and I know in traditional forum etiquette it is pretty bad to start with a question rather than engage in a couple of other forum posts :) but I am on short deadline here and I would love your input. I am about to purchase my first collectors set in Lego. I figured heck, why not start with 10179 as a collectors item since it is still one of the most coveted.

I have managed (after several emails back and forth) to convince a local seller to sell to me a Lego 10179 in sealed box (including brown outer box) for 2700 CDN. Now I also know that investing this late in the game in a set like this is risky but the value compared to current sales prices seems too good to pass up. I am also hoping that this set will go up in value one more time near the end of this year. Also: i have the option of sending this box to europe unharmed as I regularly get visitors from abroad that can take the box with them should I be able to sell to someone there. 

My question to you is the following:
What should I be especially aware of when checking this box out. I have scoured the web in search for potential things to be mindful of but other than the seals and the numbers on the seal I cannot find anything that would point to potential fraud happening with this kind of a box
Is there anything that would deter you from buying a set at this price (such as potential damages?)

Any and ALL advice on this buy is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much.

You're aware that it's very likely we'll get a remake this year? That could seriously hurt it's value, though it's difficult to say how badly.

Seems a bit awkward, but I'd check the weight if you can. Though it's not perfect, it's still a very good indicator of the contents. Also ask for a receipt if he still has it.

I don't have a 10179 so I can't tell you what to look for exactly, but some people here do.

This is the LAST set I´d recommend someone to invest in now, let alone as a first investment because of the very hig risk of an imminent remake. You´ve got a 3 month window to flip it and selling sets of this price at a profit is not easy. Your buy in is about 2000 euros and it´s going to be tough to make much on that after fees and once you add shipping and import duties (if you were to send it to Europe). It´s also a high risk for beig scammed.

I´d start with smalller sets and work up once you have more experience as a seller. The remake could be a good starting point when it is reduced in price.

Edited by Val-E

Thanks for the quick replies.

I didn't really consider the possibility of a remake lowering the value. Are there any other examples of sets that have diminished in value shortly after a re-launch? I'm sure there are but as I'm still new I am not aware of which sets that would be. 

32 minutes ago, Val-E said:

This is the LAST set I´d recommend someone to invest in now, let alone as a first investment because of the very hig risk of an imminent remake. You´ve got a 3 month window to flip it and selling sets of this price at a profit is not easy. Your buy in is about 2000 euros and it´s going to be tough to make much on that after fees and once you add shipping and import duties (if you were to send it to Europe). It´s also a high risk for beig scammed.

I´d start with smalller sets and work up once you have more experience as a seller. The remake could be a good starting point when it is reduced in price.

If its the LAST set then I'm definitely reconsidering!.... oh boy...

7 minutes ago, MightyGenius said:

I didn't really consider the possibility of a remake lowering the value. Are there any other examples of sets that have diminished in value shortly after a re-launch? I'm sure there are but as I'm still new I am not aware of which sets that would be. 

7191 and 10240 (UCS X-Wing), 10188 and 75159 (Death Star), 10129 and 75144 (Snowspeeder), and others.

Edited by oneknightr

11 minutes ago, MightyGenius said:

A number of the UCS Star Wars sets took a hit when a newer version was released so you don't have to look very far. Here's the thing...

- Some of those sets (Death Start 10188) will probably never recover because the rehash was basically the same thing.
- Some of those sets will probably never recover (Sandcrawler 10144) because the new ones are so much better [note: the hit wasn't too bad].
- Some of those sets don't seem to be getting hit too hard (Snowspeeder) because the originals were so rare at this point.

10179 is an entirely different beast here. What you're comparing is the buy-in (2700 CDN isn't too bad) versus the possibility that the new one we all expect could blow it out of the water. If it has some interior detail, yeah you'll likely never recoup your money. If its just a rehash with a square radar dish, you could get lucky with people wanting the original anyways.

Ask yourself... can I afford to have that 2700 drop 10-20% in value? Can I afford to have some trouble offloading it I all of a sudden need the cash? Can I afford to hold it for 7-8 years with the risk of just breaking even?

Either way, its a risk many around here are unwilling to touch.

*Edit .. the likely hood of this one being limited like the last one - at least the initial 10k run - is next to nil. That has to have an impact on price.*

11 minutes ago, MightyGenius said:

Anyone still holding a 10179 now either has serious hoarding issues or bought it after retirement and knows full well about the remake and wants a quick sale before the sky falls in.

The sky may not fall in if the two models are different enough but it will not help 10179 residuals.

No one know at this stage, so I´d advise passing if you are a rookie as there is just too much risk involved with capital that could offer way better returns if invested in other current sets.

Edited by Val-E

Thanks again for all these replies.

I have just informed the seller that I am pulling out of the deal. I hate it when people do this kind of last minute but you all convinced me to start investing elsewhere. I hope the buyer will find good value for his set. Thank you for helping me make the right call on this one.

If you had 2000/3000 CDN to start investing in Lego sets, what would be your recommend? Or what 'areas' should you advise me to look into?

Edited by MightyGenius

I´d recommend getting the retiring soon sets on EU SAH as cheaply as possible (50% off max) or waiting till November for the next round of retirements and the most aggressive sales.

You also maybe want to conside what strategies to use. Are you planning on flipping or longer term hoards? Some sets don´t appreciate that much after retirement and others reward the patient. Is volume selling with low margins a possibility?

Edited by Val-E