Amazon Prime Day 2017 - July 11

Alpinemaps

On 7/14/2017 at 9:14 PM, Derricku said:

Why does this thread make me feel like quitting? I don't think that Amazon glitch will ever happen again and now there doesn't seem to be a point in looking for anymore deals. That's the best it will ever get.

Hello...I don't know to what extent you are involved in trying to make money from reselling LEGO sets/bricks, but waiting for glitches is a bad business model.  The people who took advantage of the glitch were prepared and waiting for the regular deals to launch.  It was not so much luck as it was being informed and taking a chance on potential deals.  People grind out money from reselling LEGO sets to lipstick all the time...but they grind it out.  They have a plan and put the work in and are ready to pull the trigger.  Fortune favors the prepared mind...

• Like 3

Hello...I don't know to what extent you are involved in trying to make money from reselling LEGO sets/bricks, but waiting for glitches is a bad business model.  The people who took advantage of the glitch were prepared and waiting for the regular deals to launch.  It was not so much luck as it was being informed and taking a chance on potential deals.  People grind out money from reselling LEGO sets to lipstick all the time...but they grind it out.  They have a plan and put the work in and are ready to pull the trigger.  Fortune favors the prepared mind...

True, there is a big difference between an enthusiast than someone that wants to gain money by flipping it.

I guess lego enthusiast is fortunate enough that sets are available for all during release (of course there are few exemptions like the recent saturnV )

I just hope that lego wont turn to be something like heat sneakers that you have to camp out overnight just to get what you desire and you have to compete to those resellers that pays someone to camp for then and flip the d@"& sneaker 500%.

I got hook into sneakers and thats the exact reason I gave up. And what I love with lego is that you can even get the sets you want with a discounted price on the right time, and be able to trade them 5 years after on the new sets you like and can even gain on the trade.

21 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

To pile on, I was prepared, ready to go, except I was too cheap to pay for in-flight wifi and I literally missed everything by minutes. So what?! There's always another deal. It may not be the best deal. Find some clearance at Walmart? 99% chance that someone found that $99 MSRP set for way cheaper than you did.

No, this was Amazon.ca (Canada). We didn't experience any glitch-goodness like the US folks did. They were selling them for about 30% off during Prime Day in Canada, max 1 per customer.
I wasn't going to press the issue since I'm going to build anyways. But the CS rep asked "is there anything else I can help you with today", so I asked and she knocked 25% off without any discussion.

In that case, good for you on getting the discount!

Basically, you are saying your hourly wage for the glitch discounts was $10 per hour.

3 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

In that case, good for you on getting the discount!
Basically, you are saying your hourly wage for the glitch discounts was $10 per hour.

I think what many of us have realized that flipping LEGO sets equates to a minimum wage job for most people.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, LotsoTrainz said:

Received my Detective's Office, Brick Bank, and Assembly Square Thursday and Caterham via Alexa Friday.  Pretty excited to have them in my build queue for the future.    Disappointed that I didn't get other stuff like GBHQ, Death Star, etc but am happy I got the 3 sets I wanted the most and not to be too greedy.  Besides it ending means I don't end up with a $1000 charge because I don't know if I would've stopped so easily.

Assembly Square seems like the set we all pretty much bought from haul pics.

Never thought that I'll see somebody who got in on amazon prime day/glitch say that they are....disappointed in any way ;) Next time you think that, think about the rest who missed it completely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Never thought that I'll see somebody who got in on amazon prime day/glitch say that they are....disappointed in any way ;) Next time you think that, think about the rest who missed it completely.

That's the point of me saying in the next sentence to be happy with what I have and not be too greedy. :) It's an easy trap to fall into for any of us.  I did remind myself that I was lucky to accidentally stumble upon it just floating around.  Maybe my use of disappointed is a little deceiving.  It's like going to on a trip and being disappointed you only got to see half of what they have to offer. The trip was still great though.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I think what many of us have realized that flipping LEGO sets equates to a minimum wage job for most people.  

minimum wage job perhaps, but (1) not if you multiply it by 10 and have others perform the work. it also helps (2) that its usually a SECOND job, for most people, unless (1)

• Like 1

It's been a week since Amazon Prime Day.  Personally, I'm still reeling from all the ridiculous deals from the glitches in the evening.  I don't know if a glitch like that will come again but it was certainly one for the ages.  I still have yet to build any of the sets since I feel as if I'm LEGO'd out.  That and recent lack of time...