75187 - BB-8

brickinfinite

On 9/9/2017 at 1:19 AM, Cheese said:

On a serious note these are everywhere despite huge demand. Last thing you want is to be tying up capital and be holding so many with it still being around for at least the next 2 years.

Are these really everywhere, though? My three targets are all sold out. Looking at stock trackers, out of twelve Walmart's within 45 miles of my area only five show stock. The most any store has or ever had is two. They aren't stacked ten plus deep like they were on some of the summer wave of sets. That tells me that each store probably only received one case. Once the holiday buying frenzy begins it won't take long for these quantities to be bought up, and hopefully a shortage follows. Again, if not, I'm ok with storing this little guy for however long it takes. 

42 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Are these really everywhere, though? My three targets are all sold out. Looking at stock trackers, out of twelve Walmart's within 45 miles of my area only five show stock. The most any store has or ever had is two. They aren't stacked ten plus deep like they were on some of the summer wave of sets. That tells me that each store probably only received one case. Once the holiday buying frenzy begins it won't take long for these quantities to be bought up, and hopefully a shortage follows. Again, if not, I'm ok with storing this little guy for however long it takes. 

They aren't moving here, but deer scent sure is.

50 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

One of my BB-8s that I ordered online from Target had two popped seals. Instead of exchanging it for a new one when (and if) my local stores get replenished any time soon, I decided to crack it open and build it. I don't normally dip into my inventory because I don't display any sets and my kids have entered their dark ages, but I was bored and something about this set gave me an itch to build. I'm glad I did. This set is absolutely fantastic. The build was fun, and the detailed features look great and work very well. This set is gold, Jerry! Gold!

Are you trying to say you ordered the soup and are satisfied?  It's really not a meal you know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/15/2017 at 7:26 PM, terrymc4677 said:

One of my BB-8s that I ordered online from Target had two popped seals. Instead of exchanging it for a new one when (and if) my local stores get replenished any time soon, I decided to crack it open and build it. I don't normally dip into my inventory because I don't display any sets and my kids have entered their dark ages, but I was bored and something about this set gave me an itch to build. I'm glad I did. This set is absolutely fantastic. The build was fun, and the detailed features look great and work very well. This set is gold, Jerry! Gold!

I echo this. Kids and I went to the Lego store on Friday night, and I hadn't planned on buying it, but it was in stock. Thought what the hell, full price, no promo, just going to do it. The build is just fantastic. I just admire the designers who come up with this stuff. The head mechanism works amazingly well for the constraints of trying to make two round balls out of mostly squared bricks. 

If you're on the fence at all just get one, really fun build that comes together beautifully. 

• Like 4

On 9/17/2017 at 11:51 PM, nolanfan34 said:

I echo this. Kids and I went to the Lego store on Friday night, and I hadn't planned on buying it, but it was in stock. Thought what the hell, full price, no promo, just going to do it. The build is just fantastic. I just admire the designers who come up with this stuff. The head mechanism works amazingly well for the constraints of trying to make two round balls out of mostly squared bricks. 

If you're on the fence at all just get one, really fun build that comes together beautifully. 

I bought this on a whim too and agree that it's a great set and a good build.  My only caution to potential buyers is that the build is slightly repetitive since each of the sides is similar. 

That said, the final model is spectacular.  It looks just like BB-8 and the play functions are really done well.  It's also surprisingly sturdy.  Even the stand is done well.  My only minor complaint is that I wish the blue flame stood a bit truer.  Instead, it's on a bit of a slight angle when fully deployed.  Very minor complaint, though.  Definitely worth the $ for Star Wars fans.

Unless they're just keeping a ton of these in the warehouses (not normal), there's not a ton of stock out there for Walmart.  Of the 4000 stores I searched, 14 have 5 in stock, 1 has 6, and 2 has 7.  All the rest have 4 or less.  Well, besides these two stores in Utah.  These two stores are 20 miles apart.   

Walmart Supercenter #1686 in Taylorsville shows 53 in stock and Walmart Supercenter #3366 in Centerville shows 32 in stock.  Not sure WTH is going on with those two stores, but the rest of the country is pretty much 0-2.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 8:32 PM, Loghamel said:

Unless they're just keeping a ton of these in the warehouses (not normal), there's not a ton of stock out there for Walmart.  Of the 4000 stores I searched, 14 have 5 in stock, 1 has 6, and 2 has 7.  All the rest have 4 or less.  Well, besides these two stores in Utah.  These two stores are 20 miles apart.   

Walmart Supercenter #1686 in Taylorsville shows 53 in stock and Walmart Supercenter #3366 in Centerville shows 32 in stock.  Not sure WTH is going on with those two stores, but the rest of the country is pretty much 0-2.

I saw new stock of these at Target this weekend. I'd guess it's starting to trickle out. I doubt these stores were holding back

• 1 month later...
Just now, Legbrick said:

This set look good for the future? I never seen one like it.  (no expert) 

It's on sale now at Wal Mart and Target.  80.00.  Worth grabbing a few for 3 yrs from now or more?

Way too soon and price is too damn high. I expect it will be available for closer to 50 down the line and won´t retire for a good while.

I got one for around 60. So just FYI that's A low point and I am not an expert when it comes to getting Lego cheaper than the next person so I expect the kings of the game to be pulling these in at 40 or less when all is said and done. That's your competition when retirement occurs months/years from now.

I think this set will do just fine 2-3 years after retirement even if bought at RRP. Obviously any discount you can manage helps reduce the risk and pads the bottom line, but when the signs of retirement start to show I have a feeling we will all be buying up whatever stock remains at full retail just to have a few of these in our brickfolios. This set really stands out for all of the reasons already mentioned. I'm hoping it only has a two year life, but I have a hunch this one might stay in production longer than that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

I think this set will do just fine 2-3 years after retirement even if bought at RRP. Obviously any discount you can manage helps reduce the risk and pads the bottom line, but when the signs of retirement start to show I have a feeling we will all be buying up whatever stock remains at full retail just to have a few of these in our brickfolios. This set really stands out for all of the reasons already mentioned. I'm hoping it only has a two year life, but I have a hunch this one might stay in production longer than that.

If you buy this at RRP, they´ll make nice roomates with you Joker Steamrollers.

This set is going to be so hoarded over the next two years that it´s a very risky plan to buy now and at only 20% off. It´s not exclusive so the big chains will be clearing them out before EOL, just like they did with 75149 X Wing.

The 50% off minimum on non OT SW rule definitely applies, unless you are an Amazon FBAer, of course.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, terrymc4677 said:

True story! Except I'm down to 34 Steamrollers. 

Do you still have the Rey Speeders?  Glad you are slowly getting rid of those steamrollers.  I had the same problem except I only had two.  I had to give one away as a birthday present and I was actually able to sell the other one.   

49 minutes ago, legodelorean said:

Do you still have the Rey Speeders?  Glad you are slowly getting rid of those steamrollers.  I had the same problem except I only had two.  I had to give one away as a birthday present and I was actually able to sell the other one.   

Down to 31 Steamrollers. I've been listing a lot of items on the local Facebook buy & sell pages lately. I've had pretty good success so far. It's the perfect market to unload medium to small sized sets. Most of my sales on there are from women looking to buy an awesome gift for someone at a reasonable price. Occasionally I'll get a collector who will drop a few hundo on a large retired exclusive. The best part is that there are zero fees, zero shipping, and because I can check out their profile beforehand I have them come by to pick it up. I've also developed a few repeat buyers this way. With Christmas coming up I expect to do very well through this avenue, and hopefully move through the majority of my Steamrollers.

Yes, I still have all of the Rey's Speeders, but only because I haven't tried to sell any yet. I need the damn thing to retire first!

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 2