Custom display over Saturn V for mini figures and Amiibos

nuwally

First time posting, but I have been lurking for a while now.  I recently re fell in love with legos after building the Saturn V rocket.  I was so amazed at the build and how every thing went together so perfectly.  I immediately wanted to display it in my Man cave.  After I did I started thinking about my other cool things I wanted to display.  My collection of 100 amiibos that were just sitting in a bag came to mind.  The rocket takes up a lot of room and I was wondering how I could display the rocket and all my Amiibos on the same shelf.  I decided to build a 3-foot bridge that would go over my Saturn V.  So far I have built a 2 level bridge and I have one more level to go to fit my 100 Amiibos on it.

So that’s the back story, any advice or incite on my built would be greatly appreciated.  My goal is to keep it looking like a bridge but also keeping it as a functional display.  I was thinking of adding ramps to make it more realistic but, I am not really sure how to do that with the limited space I have.  I already need to lower the bridge to fit on the 3rd level.  I have been able to put 36 lbs on the lower level and it creaks but holds steady.  I was impressed, but not sure if that’s good? I stuck with Mostly White, Black and Gray, the bridge is totally symmetrical bar a few off color variations.  I kinda wanted it to look like the Tynes bridge but I have no idea how to make the struts or if they would even add any strength.   Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope to hear from you guys.

Wally  

bb2.PNG

bb1.PNG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nuwally said:

I immediately wanted to display it in my Man cave.  After I did I

Took me a few minutes to locate the Saturn V! 

You may want to design a bridge that offers a bit more support, as it appears both levels have a slight bend to the weight being held.  just a friendly suggestion.

Edited by BricksBrotha

21 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Took me a few minutes to locate the Saturn V! 

You may want to design a bridge that offers a bit more support, as it appears both levels have a slight bend to the weight being held.  just a friendly suggestion.

Haha, yeah guess there is a lot going on there.  The bridge looks a little bent due to the 36 lb test I performed on it and I never really tighten it back up.  Each section can take that weight maybe more, the second section I have not tested yet as its not as strong.  I am going to lower it make the base wider, add ramps to make it more realistic and tighten up the design. 

Thanks for the advice though I did kinda over look the bend.  How about looks wise? Any suggestions there?  Should I forgo the bridge design for more of a display stand look? 

On 8/15/2017 at 10:00 AM, nuwally said:

How about looks wise? Any suggestions there?  Should I forgo the bridge design for more of a display stand look? 

I do like your bridge concept! I just tend to get a bit ocd when it comes to fittings and angles.   It always comes back to if you like it or not anyways ;^)